Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

People are under rating jack Graham here alot and he is not depth but starting 22 every day of the week when fit

He was fit for the EF……Which was a Thursday…..andd he wasn’t in the starting 22….andd he was an emergency.

I’d be keeping him as I think he would be in the 22, unless the offer is too good which I doubt it will be.

You need to have depth in the event Taranto, Prestia, Hopper, Cotchin or Sonsie go down.
Yes he would be great depth, but Taranto and Hopper are not just going to magically land in our laps so we might require a player or another high draft pick.

So assuming we get Taranto and Hopper, where do you see Graham's spot in our side, taking into account young players like Cumberland and Sonsie, who look very promising but might not be better players than Graham but will hopefully be selected before him due to their upside. Also Miller as a second ruck, Gibcus as a back etc.

1.Taranto, Hopper, Martin, Vlastuin, Grimes, Prestia, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rioli, Nankervis, Lynch, Balta, Bolton, MacIntosh, Pickett, Broad, Miller, Baker, Short, Cumberland, Sonsie, 22. Gibcus.

Who would you take out of our best 22 for Graham. He sits in my eyes with Ross, MRJ, Tarrant, Hugo, Stack, just outside.

Sonsie

Maybe, but long term there is a very good chance that he will be a very good possibly A grade mid, he was about our best mid in the Brisbane final. Graham has never been an A grade mid.
I love the Sonz but he wasn't close to our best mid in that game. He had three touches after half-time. Pickett was our best, followed by Ross.

I love the Sonz but he wasn't close to our best mid in that game. He had three touches after half-time. Pickett was our best, followed by Ross.
My fading memory, just remember at one stage, probably the second Q how good he was going, after a shocking first. Looked right at home in the heat of a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most do, but this is hypothetical best 22. At many times during the year we also had an almost full list to choose from, our final against Brisbane I think Grimes was our only injury. But best 25-26 still puts Graham in the bottom 6 I would think.

Yes he would be great depth, but Taranto and Hopper are not just going to magically land in our laps so we might require a player or another high draft pick.
most should also realize, but sentiment rightly or wrongly is getting in the way
sadly i see jack as a pressure player only which to me MRJ has pretty much swallowed his one wood and cumberland, sonsie and ross all now best 22 have jack covered in other areas.

football can be a brutal (dog eat dog) game and jacks earnings will be under the microscope..... well paid dosen't equal depth player who has limitations

depth players aint gunna be considered for captaincy

due to his gut running and game style, injuries have now taken their toll for this one paced battering ram....

poor bloke need to be 100% fit and playing well to be 21st or 22nd player picked.

as with lloyd, butler, roach, ellisx2, chol, higgins, markov and others.

i feel those in power have left the door open to explore other options because next year he wont be offered an attractive contract.

Have we all become so terrified of being labelled biased that we've started unfairly marking our own players in comparison to those in opposition teams?

There is a chance that Jack Graham could be, or maybe even currently is, better than either of the two new recruits from GWS. He's certainly stood up better in grand finals, and after yesterday's debacle by the Swans, that appears to be an under-rated commodity.

I desperately want TT and JH to come to Tigerland at the right cost. I don't think JGTI needs to be, or should be, that cost. He's shown himself to be a Richmond Man over and over, whilst the two Giants blokes have only the potential to become Richmond Men.

Have we all become so terrified of being labelled biased that we've started unfairly marking our own players in comparison to those in opposition teams?

There is a chance that Jack Graham could be, or maybe even currently is, better than either of the two new recruits from GWS. He's certainly stood up better in grand finals, and after yesterday's debacle by the Swans, that appears to be an under-rated commodity.

I desperately want TT and JH to come to Tigerland at the right cost. I don't think JGTI needs to be, or should be, that cost. He's shown himself to be a Richmond Man over and over, whilst the two Giants blokes have only the potential to become Richmond Men.
The last thing this board will be ever be is unbiased.

My fading memory, just remember at one stage, probably the second Q how good he was going, after a shocking first. Looked right at home in the heat of a final.
Yeah his first half was great. And he kicked the goal in the third quarter after Robinson hit him late. I'm all-in on the Sonzarelli.

I hear ya about the hypothetical best 22-23. The final against Brisbane had Grimes, Graham and Lambert missing, as well as an underdone Dusty and injury prone Prestia with Edwards as the sub. Meant that we had to play Gibcus, Ross, Sonsie and Edwards. A theoretical best 22 would have had Sonsie, Ross or Gibcus as the sub.

Out of our best 22 this year we only had 5 players play all 23 games, 1 played 22, 2 played 21, 2 played 20, 4 played 19. Out of those 14 players that consistently got on the park we still lost 27 games to injury, we lost 54 games to the remainder. The most serious of those games lost to injury were Lambert, who lost 16, Dusty 14, Grimes 8 and Flossy 6. Combine those with Prestia 4, Lynch 4, Balta 5, Cotch 4, Pickett 4, pretty much shows that our most impactful players weren't on the park and we had to rely on players 22-26 like Sonsie, Ross and Gibcus.

I haven't put up these numbers as an excuse for losing games, more to highlight the fact that to remain more than competitive then those players 22-26 have to be considered to be in our best 22.

It’s about resource allocation and development pathways.

The salary cap is finite, you can only allocate 10-20 type wages on a 20-26 player if you have enough under paid (I.e 18-22 year olds) in that 10-20 range to offset the extra costs. This may work out if Sonsie, Cumbers, MJ, Gibcus, Ross and any other young player pops.

If you’re 20-26 on a list at 25 your also potentially a development blocker, this is a mistake the club has made in the past with Aarts and Constagna IMO. They’re taking that first spot in the 22 that’s available over a Cumbers or MJ.

Of course I’m not seeing the every day work so I believe the coaching staff have valid reasons for those choices. They’ve also made the tough decision the other way too with Ellis, Conca and Caddy.

Overall id rather keep Graham but as I’ve said elsewhere I think with TT and Hopper coming in and development of young guys we have 1 too many players that play a certain type of role in Short, Graham, Baker and Ross. And 1 will have to go by the end of next season.

There is no chance Graham is better then Taranto or Hopper. They are out and out guns. Plus Taranto has performed in a granny even if most of his teammates didn’t and Hopper too has had very good finals.

Doesn't mean we all have the same objective analysis of a player. Loyalty is a great attribute but Brandon Ellis was a very popular Richmond man as well. Players are always coming and going and have to look long term to their future. If Graham was offered a 3 year deal on good coin from another club he would entertain it considering his position in the side is safe, but not that safe.

JGTI is not going anywhere!
If he wants to go home. Then whatever Richmond get will not be thrown away for Taranto and Hopper.
This years and next years 1sts and p30 maximum to relieve GWS’s salary cap is more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is no chance Graham is better then Taranto or Hopper. They are out and out guns. Plus Taranto has performed in a granny even if most of his teammates didn’t and Hopper too has had very good finals.
I'm not saying he's better than those two, and I've been very careful not to imply that.

What I am saying though is that JGTI is already a proven Richmond Man - he has stood up in the biggest of finals in the yellow and black, totally not overawed even back as an 18 year old.

Taranto and Hopper were pretty solid in the 2019 GF, and showed definite Richmond Man traits in the face of an onslaught. Both players appear to be very ready to go in that sense. They've had more than one good-to-excellent finals series in a GWS guernsey. I really like the pair of them, and want them in our colours.

But I'm not easily going to cast aside a player who has already exhibited these traits in yellow and black. Graham's worth way more than some here are crediting him.

If he was to request a trade, I wouldn't part with him for anything less than a high 1st rounder. And with 5 clubs apparently keen, there's nothing to suggest we couldn't expect such compensation.

I remember Reece McKenzie was guna be a top pick as well.
It saying the same will happen

Sliders slide man
Usually a reason for it
Yeah I know.But we sorta can take the gamble.
I mean like most beyond the 2nd rnd is very speculative with a kp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back