Player Watch #36: Kozzy Pickett – stacking up with the best after 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

If he does sign, I'd be shocked if it's more than 2 years. I'm sure the club is pushing more, but he'd be silly signing for more than 2. Be at the peak of his powers in a couple of years to demand more $$. More midfield time will add more $$ too. Be great if we can get it done asap. The SA trip was always going to be make or break. Sounds like we've done a great job there. Will believe it when I see it, but it's sounding positive.
Players don't have to be at the peak of their powers to maximise their contract though right? if Luke Jackson signed a contract with Freo at the end of our grand final, with all the buzz that was floating around, he would've been offered north of 900k I reckon. There is a massive buzz around the league at the moment with regards to small forwards taking over the league and being close to the most valuable positions on the ground. He is coming off 2 great years. Clubs will pay a fortune right now. I'd be surprised if he only signed for 2 years. It's also a risk for him not to accept a longer term. Every player is only 1 serious injury away from never being the same player. That's just a sad reality of playing such a physical sport.

Players don't have to be at the peak of their powers to maximise their contract though right? if Luke Jackson signed a contract with Freo at the end of our grand final, with all the buzz that was floating around, he would've been offered north of 900k I reckon. There is a massive buzz around the league at the moment with regards to small forwards taking over the league and being close to the most valuable positions on the ground. He is coming off 2 great years. Clubs will pay a fortune right now. I'd be surprised if he only signed for 2 years. It's also a risk for him not to accept a longer term. Every player is only 1 serious injury away from never being the same player. That's just a sad reality of playing such a physical sport.
He's only 21. Even if he does do a serious injury he has plenty of credits and plenty left in the tank to still get a huge contract somewhere. And Rankine is about the only small forward to get offered huge bucks. I think the smart play would be to cement a spot playing midfield in the next 2 years which will open up huge possibilities for him in regards to next contract size. He'll be a Shai Bolton with better skills. Then at 23 he can demand much bigger coin, Adelaide and Port will be contending you'd think, and hopefully Dees are still in the window where he has options and enough midfield sample size to be worth even more money. I'd love it if he signed on for more, but /i'd be very surprised if it was any more than 2 if he does sign with us.

He's only 21. Even if he does do a serious injury he has plenty of credits and plenty left in the tank to still get a huge contract somewhere. And Rankine is about the only small forward to get offered huge bucks. I think the smart play would be to cement a spot playing midfield in the next 2 years which will open up huge possibilities for him in regards to next contract size. He'll be a Shai Bolton with better skills. Then at 23 he can demand much bigger coin, Adelaide and Port will be contending you'd think, and hopefully Dees are still in the window where he has options and enough midfield sample size to be worth even more money. I'd love it if he signed on for more, but /i'd be very surprised if it was any more than 2 if he does sign with us.
Each to their own Crusty, I think the midfield scope thing is a thing of the past though? I feel like gone are the times where you have to go to the midfield to warrant a big contract size etc. As Cal Twomey was talking about on his weekly show, the small forward is the most valuable commodity in todays footy. Moreso than midfielders. I agree with this. Small forwards are taking over the league like never seen before. 8 of the top 15 leading goal kickers are small forwards. Toby Greene, Papley, Rankine, Higgins, Charlie Cameron, Bobby Hill, Rachele and Walters.

Nick Watson, a 169cm, live wire small forward is going to go top 5 of the draft. This was unheard of 5 years ago. Midfielders grow on trees. Small forwards are rare. Hypothetically, if we lost Pickett this year, it may be 4-5 years until a good small forward is available to us at the draft. There's usually about 1-2 per draft. Thankfully with pick swaps etc, it makes it easier to target certain players and needs etc.

I think Pickett demands the money right now personally.

To spend the money on Pickett you need to have the money.
Think About It GIF by Identity

I think what we need is a sensible compromise. Pickett signs for two years. At the press conference, Choco Williams suddenly jumps up and belts him behind the knee with a truncheon. While Kozzy is writhing around the floor screaming in agony, a voice comes from the back of the media scrum. A hush falls over the audience… “I’m well respected BigFooty poster danster168 and I have a statement: this is why I’ve always said it was foolish to sign a short term deal. Now, Melbourne are no chance of getting 17 first round picks for trading a contracted player and Kozzy’s career is basically over. Every other person on the planet didn’t take heed of my warnings and this is what happens.” The boom mic clatters to the floor and danster turns and walks out of the building in slow motion with a triumphant smile.

Last edited:
The biggest shame about him re-signing is that it'll spell the ends of posts like these:

Would a trade of say Pick 2 plus a 3rd Rd Pick to tMelbourne (who hold Picks 6 and 10 )for Kosi Pickett and Pick 10 plus Rivers , be workable as a deal??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest shame about him re-signing is that it'll spell the ends of posts like these:
Pick 2
Third rounder

for

Picket
Rivers
Pick 10

?

That's really good gear if I'm reading that correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #36: Kozzy Pickett – stacking up with the best after 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back