Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartley kicking out after a point from the opposition, Myers marks it then kicks and Daniher marks it in the Goal Square

Btw the way Hartley is playing the man deserves the number 31!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not until his arms become seemingly telescopic.

Had his first average game in the first half against North.

Seemed to be stuck between roles with Kelly often ending up on what you'd expect to have been Hartley's man (and Kelly gave away 2 or 3 kicks when Hartley had control of the contest in the air).

It's like he played a position as opposed to being on an opponent and the rotation of North's key forwards resulted in Hartley being lost in no-mans-land.

It's a tough thing to be a defender for us this year but there were some mistakes for yesterday for the first time.

Had his first average game in the first half against North.

Seemed to be stuck between roles with Kelly often ending up on what you'd expect to have been Hartley's man (and Kelly gave away 2 or 3 kicks when Hartley had control of the contest in the air).

It's like he played a position as opposed to being on an opponent and the rotation of North's key forwards resulted in Hartley being lost in no-mans-land.

It's a tough thing to be a defender for us this year but there were some mistakes for yesterday for the first time.

Agreed.

That Majak Daw goal from the boundary really p***ed me off at the time, thought it was a real weak effort from Harts.

He has been brilliant throughout the year though, can't expect a 7-gamer to blitz every game.

Interested to know what others think (or if anyone has actual knowledge).

Seems to me that he a playing a more zonal full back role in the last few weeks (like Hooker was doing in 2014 but playing on the deepest forward). He does not seem to be wearing his opponents as closely as he was in his first 4 or 5 games.

Think that it needs to be made clear to the rest of the team that when the ball is in the air coming into our defence Hartley is the man (it may be that the point needs to be made to him). There are a few time when it's almost as if he is called out, which is not something I understand at all.

If he is in the contest it's the Kellys and Goddards that should be staying down.

Seems to me that he a playing a more zonal full back role in the last few weeks (like Hooker was doing in 2014 but playing on the deepest forward). He does not seem to be wearing his opponents as closely as he was in his first 4 or 5 games.

Think that it needs to be made clear to the rest of the team that when the ball is in the air coming into our defence Hartley is the man (it may be that the point needs to be made to him). There are a few time when it's almost as if he is called out, which is not something I understand at all.

If he is in the contest it's the Kellys and Goddards that should be staying down.

Thought Hartley had a mare of a game - Ambrose was far more reliable today.

We're bit confused all over the ground. It's a year process to work all this stuff out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're bit confused all over the ground. It's a year process to work all this stuff out.
I thought the saints rotated their forwards well which confused our collection of tall defenders.

Hartley was obviously our defender that played deep and I think the saints abused that split second where Hartleys deep opponent drifted further out and another dropped back in and Hartley seemed to peel off one and head for the other. a couple of times they got Gwilt one out in the goal square with Bruce or Membrey. The certainly exposed our lack of experience and cohesion down back, better than most opponents ive seen this year

Thought Hartley had a mare of a game - Ambrose was far more reliable today.

While it didn't seem to cost him much, Ambrose got lost in traffic a number of times and allowed whoever he was supposed to be on at the time (it changed quite a bit, started with McCartin but then rotated) to bugger off back into their 50. When he was near the contest he generally did an ok job.

Thought he was quite poor pre-injury.

Like how Tom Hawkins was bigger, stronger and faster on his way to 0 goals?

One crap game is just an anomaly.

He's struggled since playing on Franklin. Gwilt has the experience and should be playing the zonal role. Hartley is not handling it particularly well and would be likely to be playing man on man in a team with Hurley and Hooker (to free one of them up).

Reckon that he took a problem into the game. He was well off the pace all night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back