Past #37: Malcolm Lynch - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

The tape tells a pretty clear story in terms of his potential. Pace, evasive skills and a silky left boot.

More importantly after a couple of minor dedication issues at the Dogs he appears to have sorted himself out and online interviews and impressions suggest he's a pretty sound character.

Any interstate kid who opts to grind it out in the VFL is already showing they're willing to pay a price to earn another shot at the big time.

Fwiw has been restricted to stationary skills and bike at training sessions I've been to.

If Malcolm can take the step up to the conditioning and hardness required for AFL long term he brings attributes that would be massively appreciated in our senior team.

Thanks for the reminder NC. Another player who fits our needs perfectly. I really hope he finally makes it at AFL level with us, as we'll be the beneficiaries.

Plus, the inner 70's and 80's North supporter in me has a yearning desire to yell out "Malcolmmmmmmmmmmmmm" once again!

I was at last year's VFL grand final and Lynch was one of Port's best players. For those who don' t remember Willi shot away in the first quarter and looked like smashing Port just as they had smashed Werribee the week before. Port gradually turned the tide and ended up running away- Lynch was one of the keys to the turnaround: very quick, very skilful and on that occasion at least very resilient

Thanks for the reminder NC. Another player who fits our needs perfectly. I really hope he finally makes it at AFL level with us, as we'll be the beneficiaries.

Plus, the inner 70's and 80's North supporter in me has a yearning desire to yell out "Malcolmmmmmmmmmmmmm" once again!

Come on TT.......it was always BLLLLLLLLLIGHT!!:D

Hopefully his time at Port has suitably de-Footscrayed him.

From what I've seen, better footskills... but Pearce would be better just about everywhere else.

I think Lynch could be a very good thing if he's got his head screwed on right.
Clean at ground level, smart, skilful and quick.

If the one thing that Lynch is better at than Pearce is footskills, then I'm very glad.

Hi guys. Just wondering how Malcolm Lynch has been this season? Any chance of a rookie promotion at the end of the year, or is the dream over for him?

I reckon it might be over. Needed to get 20 plus touches in the VFL to push his claims but just doesn't get enough of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was alright the other day vs Morningside in the Foxtel Cup, but I agree, he doesn't get enough ball and he doesn't influence games enough.

He was alright the other day vs Morningside in the Foxtel Cup, but I agree, he doesn't get enough ball and he doesn't influence games enough.

Could lack of preseaon be a factor?

Do you expect us to delist him at the end of the year?

A club is required to delist three players. Who do you delist ahead of him?

Do rookies count in that?

Urqs is gone delisting wise in fact if he had been uncontracted he wouldn't be there now.

I also think there may be a spate (yeah maybe him) of players who will perhaps seek more opportunities, like Milky or Pedo, even Azza.

I am not advocating just looking at the team now and the fact that these players would possibly get more senior time elsewhere.

Urquart would be the only bloke that I could honestly name ahead of Lynch.

As always with these things, I hope i'm wrong, and I hope Malcolm comes out and starts to string some blinders together.

I assume it was hoped that he would be a mature outside accumulator in the seniors.

I still think that him retaining his spot will be dependant upon what happens trade week.

Also is it we need to delist 3 players or that we need to make 3 changes to the list?

It's always hard to translate VFL performance to AFL but to me he showed some signs of extreme talent last year for Port Melbourne. His willingness to stay out of his comfort zone and play his footy in Melbourne too was a good indicator of his attitude to apply himself to his work.

Sometimes a player takes a while to click on a list. I hope we persist with him. With the benefits of a proper preseason, some strength gain (wasn't he injured after being rookied last summer?) and confidence in the new environment he just might have something to show us.

His attributes of a deadly left foot, elite pace and great vision didn't just disappear overnight.

I'd be happy to give him another year on the rookie list. A rookie list that will be sans Daw, Mullett, Gibson (all promoted) and Urquhart (delisted) next season. Mangan and M.Warren should get another season as well.

He has abilities that not many others on the list do. Worth persevering with.

However, given the strength of this upcoming draft, he could very well find himself out of luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back