AFL Player #39: Vigo Visentini

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he play on the weekend?

He did. Whereas against Collingwood, I think you could say he was objectively solid to good (maybe 6 out of 10) he was quieter this week probably only a 5. He should have kicked at least 1.1 but ended up with only 0.1. I lost track of what happened to the first shot (whether it was out on the full, or passed off).

Having said that I am no less enthusiastic about the things I saw (bearing in mind he is a long term project I am not expecting to see play AFL until year 3 unless at the earliest and unless an injury crisis hits).

This week against Williamstown, the thing I really liked was his ground level follow up, be it from a marking or ruck contests. He is both aggressive and willing to put in the hard work chasing. It's not just throwing his weight around in the phone box of the post ruckwork contest.

He also adapted his ruck work against Downie, who is a 203cm, 31 year old formerly GWS listed player and is no slouch, after Downie was jumping into him to negate his leap. He had no problem wrestling around the ground and then following up after that contest.

He seems to have agility and speed that you would not expect from a player who is 203cm to 206cm, already weighing 100kg and a rookie pick. That package usually produces a lumberer. I'd be very interested to put him through combine testing right now to get confirmation of his capacity. I've previously said I would not attribute Draper level athleticism to him. I don't but I'm not ruling that out as I think he'll improve dramatically in the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back