3D Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 3d tv

^ I don't think that's right. From the Samsung AU site:

"Expand your 3D home entertainment possibilities with the new Samsung Blu-ray Player and Blu-ray Home Entertainment System. With a built-in 3D converter you can now watch any of your 2D Blu-ray discs in jaw-dropping 3D. They also feature Samsung’s HyperReal Engine so you’ll enjoy high image quality."

So it can convert 2D blu-ray DVDs to 3D, but I'm not sure if it converts 2D TV to 3D. I suggest give Samsung or Exeltek a call (see below for Exeltek).

Anyway, OP, you can get a better price than the $1700 at JB. $1390 at Exeltek. I've bought a couple Samsungs from them and have no complaints. If you were already prepared to pay about $1700, then they sell the 46" 6600 for $1780:

http://www.exeltek.com.au/samsung-4...d6600-brand-new-latest-2011-model-p-2704.html

http://www.exeltek.com.au/samsung-4...new-latest-2011-model-hot-special-p-2706.html

^ I don't think that's right. From the Samsung AU site:

"Expand your 3D home entertainment possibilities with the new Samsung Blu-ray Player and Blu-ray Home Entertainment System. With a built-in 3D converter you can now watch any of your 2D Blu-ray discs in jaw-dropping 3D. They also feature Samsung’s HyperReal Engine so you’ll enjoy high image quality."

So it can convert 2D blu-ray DVDs to 3D, but I'm not sure if it converts 2D TV to 3D. I suggest give Samsung or Exeltek a call (see below for Exeltek).

Anyway, OP, you can get a better price than the $1700 at JB. $1390 at Exeltek. I've bought a couple Samsungs from them and have no complaints. If you were already prepared to pay about $1700, then they sell the 46" 6600 for $1780:

http://www.exeltek.com.au/samsung-4...d6600-brand-new-latest-2011-model-p-2704.html

http://www.exeltek.com.au/samsung-4...new-latest-2011-model-hot-special-p-2706.html

Thank you very much.:thumbsu:

What would be better samsung LED-LCD or Samsung Plasma?

definitely the plasma.
The plasma has better contrast ratio, more realistic colours and skin tones, better viewing angles, better motion and its cheaper.

Get the 64" 8 series or Panasonic VT30A as these are the best 2 TVs available in 2011. The Panasonic has better black levels and contrast than the Samsung, but is more $$$

Hey Guys,

Looking at buying one of these. Not sure whether to go LED LCD or Plasma. Recommendations?
Is Plasma that much better for sport?
(my short answer is bolded, the rest is just some ramblings whist watching TV)

After shopping with family for 2 LCDs and being unimpressed by the 200Hz feature on top of the line Samsung 3D LEDLCDs (which they bought), I went with a Panasonic 3D Plasma.

As mentioned room brightness is something to consider but not the be all and end all. Plasmas will come out of the box with dumbed down settings to reduce power consumption as they get killed in that regard so in "normal" mode our plasma is quite dark. Put it in cinema and it's fine, dynamic mode is brighter than what I'd have a TV set at so there's no real issue with it for me.

As they've reduced the thickness of plasmas by half what they used to be I'm happy with what I bought.
LCD's obviously thinner, made even thinner when LED backlighting is used so if you want a tv thinner than an ipod, get an LED, LCD. If you don't care to pay the premium for the extra thin screen, go a normal (CFL) LCD.

I didn't bother researching too much. I wanted 3D for gaming after playing motorstorm 3D rift. Also thought USB recording would be nice.
Plasma looked better with the footy on. An LED 100hz and LCD/LED 200hz had serious blurring of the ball so my choice was easy.

2d to 3d plasma is pretty pathetic, I swear all it does is blur the image and the glasses unblur it. 3D to me is only awesome when you have shit flying at you. Depth type 3D (trees in the distance etc) might look ok but really, unless things are coming towards you it's not all that great so converting 2d will not have much depth to it as it wasn't intended to be 3D.

PS3, Motostorm 3D rift is great when you see a crash and have a wheel or other debris come at you.

Even specfic 3D demos are lacking. People rave over the Looney Tunes Rabid Rider short, again, not enough cool moments.

Many, many years ago I saw a rollercoaster 3D movie in a (blue/red glasses) 3D theatre (in a dome tent at the royal show), now that was awsome. It had people stumbling for balance as the rollercoaster hit it's peak.

In closing. I wish I got a bigger screen than 42inch. Used to the screen size already. 3D hurts your eyes and the glasses are freakin expensive. Bargain hard on the price of the tv. Extended warranty is a bit of a scam, as are over priced HDMI cables.

(my short answer is bolded, the rest is just some ramblings whist watching TV)

After shopping with family for 2 LCDs and being unimpressed by the 200Hz feature on top of the line Samsung 3D LEDLCDs (which they bought), I went with a Panasonic 3D Plasma.

As mentioned room brightness is something to consider but not the be all and end all. Plasmas will come out of the box with dumbed down settings to reduce power consumption as they get killed in that regard so in "normal" mode our plasma is quite dark. Put it in cinema and it's fine, dynamic mode is brighter than what I'd have a TV set at so there's no real issue with it for me.

As they've reduced the thickness of plasmas by half what they used to be I'm happy with what I bought.
LCD's obviously thinner, made even thinner when LED backlighting is used so if you want a tv thinner than an ipod, get an LED, LCD. If you don't care to pay the premium for the extra thin screen, go a normal (CFL) LCD.

I didn't bother researching too much. I wanted 3D for gaming after playing motorstorm 3D rift. Also thought USB recording would be nice.
Plasma looked better with the footy on. An LED 100hz and LCD/LED 200hz had serious blurring of the ball so my choice was easy.

2d to 3d plasma is pretty pathetic, I swear all it does is blur the image and the glasses unblur it. 3D to me is only awesome when you have shit flying at you. Depth type 3D (trees in the distance etc) might look ok but really, unless things are coming towards you it's not all that great so converting 2d will not have much depth to it as it wasn't intended to be 3D.

PS3, Motostorm 3D rift is great when you see a crash and have a wheel or other debris come at you.

Even specfic 3D demos are lacking. People rave over the Looney Tunes Rabid Rider short, again, not enough cool moments.

Many, many years ago I saw a rollercoaster 3D movie in a (blue/red glasses) 3D theatre (in a dome tent at the royal show), now that was awsome. It had people stumbling for balance as the rollercoaster hit it's peak.

In closing. I wish I got a bigger screen than 42inch. Used to the screen size already. 3D hurts your eyes and the glasses are freakin expensive. Bargain hard on the price of the tv. Extended warranty is a bit of a scam, as are over priced HDMI cables.

Thanks Jaded,

Greatly appreciated.

I like the colour and the sharpness of the LED, but my biggest concern was the difference with sport. If there wasn't too much difference in motion/refresh rates between the 100Hz LED and the 600Hz plasma, I may have leant towards the LED. But considering that you mention that the ball was fuzzy with 200Hz LED, that pretty much may have made up my mind for a plasma. Last thing I want is to watch a game of footy, tennis or cricket, and not be able to see the ball clearly.

Now do I go for the 55inch Panasonic or the 59inch Samsung?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Jaded,

Greatly appreciated.

I like the colour and the sharpness of the LED, but my biggest concern was the difference with sport. If there wasn't too much difference in motion/refresh rates between the 100Hz LED and the 600Hz plasma, I may have leant towards the LED. But considering that you mention that the ball was fuzzy with 200Hz LED, that pretty much may have made up my mind for a plasma. Last thing I want is to watch a game of footy, tennis or cricket, and not be able to see the ball clearly.

Now do I go for the 55inch Panasonic or the 59inch Samsung?

Samsung by a long long way imo. Never been a fan of the panasonics. I think some of their panels look cloudy.

I haven't been keeping up to date with TV's since I bought one for myself 7-8 years ago. Safe to say the technology has come a long way in that time. Are they still making flat screen panels that are just conventional 2D? I am also of the opinion that 3D is bullshit and I'd rather not pay the premium. So can I still get them or would I have to buy an outdated model from somewhere?

I'm looking to get a new TV before the 2012 AFL season. I'm not particularly interested in 3D, but given that the technology is standard in most higher quality TVs, I guess I'll give it a look. It's getting to the point where it's hard to buy a TV that doesn't do 3D. But I'm more interested in built-in wifi and PVR.

I hope Samsung have their 2012 range out in Feb/March.

3D TVs have better processors, considering they're barely a premium anymore, they're worth getting as the normal 2D picture quality is generally better.

Samsung now have WiFi in the mid/high end, and you can plug a USB Memory Drive into them and record as a PVR in that way.

PM me before you buy, can give you an idea on pricing.

Do you really need a TV that big?

I've been happy with 32 and 37 inch TVs and am considering the luxury option of a 42. But 64? Really?

I've had a 42inch samsung for about 8 years now never had a problem with it. Payed 2400 for it back in the day and on average its probably been on 10 hours a day since I got it. Personally would always buy samsung, have a 32inch samsung lcd and really happy with that to.

Always wanted a really big TV, without paying 4 grand, and got a pretty good deal on this one, so yeah.

Do you really need a TV that big?

I've been happy with 32 and 37 inch TVs and am considering the luxury option of a 42. But 64? Really?
Depends on the room its in I suppose. I have a 42 inch tv in my lounge but the room itself isnt that big. I dont think I would go much bigger.

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding 3D gaming.

I've just purchased parts for a new rig and have the capabilities of playing in 3D. I hadn't really considered it and got a new 27" monitor. I can cancel this though and was thinking of spending a bit more $ if it were worth it and seeing what 3D gaming was like.

Hopefully someone can help out here, is there any decent recommendations for gaming on a 27" screen? Obviously it has to be 120hz yeah and I was hoping for something in the range of ~$500?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated. Any other info just ask :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back