Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin GOAT and King of Punt Rd - OFFICIALLY RETIRED

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcclure the flog won't let up. Dusty going to the gold coast next year now

It wont let up, ever. Its going to be a story until the end of his career unfortunately. Its why i would over pay him while we can to shut up the media, but also make Dimma & the Suns realise, there will be no cheap steals here. If you want it, then its always gonna cost ya.

I agree with you that for Dusty/Carr this is the right move for them, but i do think it was the right move for the club to really push him over a contract extension to find out where he is at, & for all we know that could/likely happened. I actually think, contractually, it could have been an exceptionally good situation for both parties to extend, if structured correctly.

For example, the club & Dusty/Carr could have brokered a 1 year extension for Dusty to received $1.2m in 2025.

This would be good for Dusty as it sets his price to Dimma & the Gold Coast. The biggest issue stopping the moving this year was his huge contact & the Suns could not get the cap space to pay him $1.2m, they want to get him cheaper than that. Their cap siutation is only going to get worse with their young list, especially if they start having success. So Carr must realise that if the Suns do plan to sign him next year, they are unlikely going to be wanting to pay him $1.2m. So by setting the price 12 months in advance, you would have let them know EXACTLY how much cap space you will need to have to get Dusty. Sure, they could re-negotiate his contract to get him over, or ask us to pay some of the contract - but paying a bit of his contract cost you a 1st round pick. Generally players in Dusty's situation move clubs at this late time in their career to get a pay cut & try and win a flag. For Carr, locking Dusty in for a huge figure in 2024 is by far the best move for his commission.

For the Club, the benefit is, you have locked in that asset for another 2 years & you wont lose it for free. If someone wants him, they have to be prepared to pay Dusty $1.2m & provide the club with assets to either fill that salary, or compensate for losing a clearly valuable asset & most likely paying a decent portion of his contract for 1 season. It would have also provided Yze with a safe environment to begin his career, ie he wont be fighting "Dusty leaving?" innuendo if the club finds itself 3-9 heading into the bye round. As far as the media is concerned, Dusty is under contract, on a very generous contract. It takes the noise out of the environment so everyone can focus on the work only.

This sort of deal gets done a bit in the NBA as sometimes a player can only sign a higher number if they re-sign with 1 team, then get traded to the team they want. It is a system that can be a bit s**t when everyone starts doing it all the time - but in the AFL there are very few players who really have "franchise player" status. Perhaps only 50% of the teams in the league have that atm. It works in the sense that the club is guaranteed a return on their player asset with either player/draft assets to replace them. They don't do this "compo pick" bullshit - a player leaves in free agency, all you get is the salary cap space hole they left. It makes the moving of players far more complex & totally removes the laughable AFL interference we are having atm.

I personally don't think Dusty is worth $1.2 m a season anymore, but i'd love him to prove me wrong & know he definitely can. But locking him in not just as a player, but a potential future trade asset to me is worth the cost. And quite frankly, i am more than happy for the club to overpay Dustin Martin until we need the cap space to pay our new Dustin Martin. Over the next few years i think its very likely we will need to eat a bit of s**t while we re-tool & that should keep us out of most big acquisitions - we should be gradually cutting our salary cost to start getting "Lynch" types etc. Its a strategy you can do year to year until a target comes up that you are "all in" on.

I guess it comes down to how much $$$ is a pick worth. Its an interesting conversation. IE what would a club pay for

-A Top 3 pick

-A Top 10 Pick

-A Top 30 pick

I think over the next 5 years we will see a huge change in the salaries & how contracts are handled. I think the old way of thinking is holding a lot of clubs back and the teams that can figure out how to get ahead of the game first, will get the fruit.

Look at the compo picks this year as an example. Why were they all 1st rounders? Because the clubs realise that if his OG team can get a 1st rounder, they wont have to part with an asset to get him. And as the Daniher deal showed, there is nothing stopping you re-negotiating the contract at a later date to a more appropriate number. Gresham will see that for sure, his contract will get re-negotiated at some point, i guarantee it
you've put a lot of work into this post! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he were to leave.
I can see him at other clubs before the Suns.

It's up to us to convince him to re-sign having an enjoyable season under Adem Yze will be crucial.

I think being a one club player means more to Dusty than people think
Not sure it's the walls and colours, it would have been the people. Cotchin, Dimma, Riewoldt, etc. all gone. Sure he'd still have mates there but the guys he would have been most connected to are gone.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if end of next year he's off to somewhere up North for a final contract and another couple of years. Equally wouldn't surprise me if he signs another 2 year deal with us.

The thing I can’t wait for is there has been an Amazon crew following Martin around for 7+ years I believe it is … taking footage of absolutely everything. It’s gonna be sports documentary pr0n for us Tiger supporters when it’s released on his retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wait... Is this legit?

Not sure it's the walls and colours, it would have been the people. Cotchin, Dimma, Riewoldt, etc. all gone. Sure he'd still have mates there but the guys he would have been most connected to are gone.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if end of next year he's off to somewhere up North for a final contract and another couple of years. Equally wouldn't surprise me if he signs another 2 year deal with us.
its the reason why I reckon he won't leave ...

He already at leas knows all the players and staff with us.
I can't see him going to the GC, knowing only Dimma and BEllis, and having to meet 40 new players and 40 new staff, I reckon that's his worst case scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin GOAT and King of Punt Rd - OFFICIALLY RETIRED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back