Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

2 more years x $800k seems fair to all parties. Unlike Edwards, Riewoldt and Cotchin his form is still peak and his body has always been durable. Cotchin and Riewoldt deserved a low final contract as realistically they were cooked and going nowhere. Hindsight would've been better off getting games into kids instead. Dusty was quoted as saying he wanted to play as long as Tom Brady. If anyone can try play that long it's Dusty. Look at Pendlebury he's still chugging along I see no reason Dusty can't get to 400 games also.

2 more years x $800k seems fair to all parties. Unlike Edwards, Riewoldt and Cotchin his form is still peak and his body has always been durable. Cotchin and Riewoldt deserved a low final contract as realistically they were cooked and going nowhere. Hindsight would've been better off getting games into kids instead. Dusty was quoted as saying he wanted to play as long as Tom Brady. If anyone can try play that long it's Dusty. Look at Pendlebury he's still chugging along I see no reason Dusty can't get to 400 games also.
800k feels like the old 750k and frees up some coin to retain players or bring a FA in

Gold Coast Suns
CEO Mark Evans has hinted the club will be prepared to make a move for 2024 free agent Dustin Martin if he remains unsigned late into next year.

Martin was continuously tied to the Carrara club over the course of this season, with speculation surrounding the triple Norm Smith Medal winner increasing following the appointment of ex-Tigers coach and Martin's close mentor Damien Hardwick as the Suns' replacement for the departed Stuart Dew.

The Richmond superstar's lucrative seven-year deal is set to expire in 2024, making Martin an unrestricted free at the conclusion of his 15th campaign at Punt Road.

Martin had turned down the potential option to head north and reunite with Hardwick for the latter's first year at the helm of the Suns, instead deciding to see out the final term of his deal and likely become the next Tiger to reach the 300-game mark in the yellow and black.

Gold Coast will be ready to make their move next year if Martin doesn't sign an extension with Richmond however, with Evans hoping the champion Tiger "likes playing in Darwin".

"I guess it's been speculated because of his relationship with Damien Hardwick and I know he's out of contract at the end of [next] year," Evans said at the press announcement of the club's new playing deal in the Northern Territory on Monday.

"If no contract is done with Richmond, that obviously means there's a chance to talk with him.

"Hopefully he likes playing in Darwin."

DustinMartinDamienHardwick-scaled.jpg
BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 24: Senior coach Damien Hardwick and Dustin Martin of the Tigers speak during a press conference after the 2020 AFL Grand Final match between the Richmond Tigers and the Geelong Cats at The Gabba on October 24, 2020 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Matt Roberts/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

The Tigers themselves are preparing their own move to have Martin on their books for 2025, with their own CEO in Brendon Gale hoping an extension can be struck "in the not too distant future".

Gale told News Corp of his hopes that Martin sees himself as a one-club player following a strong 2023 season where he earned a spot in the All-Australian squad.

"Dustin is a great of our club and fully invested in helping us write the next chapter – clearly we will have discussions with his management in the not too distant future," Gale told the publication.

"He played some exceptional football last season. Change creates energy and I have no doubt Dustin feels that – he is a really important and valued part of our club."

Should Martin play a further 11 games for Richmond next year, he'll become the seventh Tiger to play 300 matches for the club, following premiership teammates Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt in doing so.

I do love how as soon as Dusty was not traded this year he was out the door next year.

It’s getting earlier each year. I can see Dusty extending five rounds in to 2024 until 2026 and before finals the journos will be telling us he’s off to GCS for 2025.
Dusty in a retirement mansion in 2100
Journos : he will live his final days in the gold coast

Won’t he be a UFA so no compo?
This question does not even have to be asked as he's not leaving , I don't get why you guys listen to losers like kan korn who would of said we should signed him early if we haven't signed him yet and now that we are trying to says we shouldn't sign him
And guys like Sam mackloser who uses dustys name to get clicks.

Use actual evidence like him staying year after year and him showing his love for the club and our big boys at our club saying they wanna sign him for life.

Gold Coast Suns CEO Mark Evans has hinted the club will be prepared to make a move for 2024 free agent Dustin Martin if he remains unsigned late into next year.

Martin was continuously tied to the Carrara club over the course of this season, with speculation surrounding the triple Norm Smith Medal winner increasing following the appointment of ex-Tigers coach and Martin's close mentor Damien Hardwick as the Suns' replacement for the departed Stuart Dew.

The Richmond superstar's lucrative seven-year deal is set to expire in 2024, making Martin an unrestricted free at the conclusion of his 15th campaign at Punt Road.

Martin had turned down the potential option to head north and reunite with Hardwick for the latter's first year at the helm of the Suns, instead deciding to see out the final term of his deal and likely become the next Tiger to reach the 300-game mark in the yellow and black.

Gold Coast will be ready to make their move next year if Martin doesn't sign an extension with Richmond however, with Evans hoping the champion Tiger "likes playing in Darwin".

"I guess it's been speculated because of his relationship with Damien Hardwick and I know he's out of contract at the end of [next] year," Evans said at the press announcement of the club's new playing deal in the Northern Territory on Monday.

"If no contract is done with Richmond, that obviously means there's a chance to talk with him.

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 24: Senior coach Damien Hardwick and Dustin Martin of the Tigers speak during a press conference after the 2020 AFL Grand Final match between the Richmond Tigers and the Geelong Cats at The Gabba on October 24, 2020 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Matt Roberts/AFL Photos/via Getty Images)

The Tigers themselves are preparing their own move to have Martin on their books for 2025, with their own CEO in Brendon Gale hoping an extension can be struck "in the not too distant future".

Gale told News Corp of his hopes that Martin sees himself as a one-club player following a strong 2023 season where he earned a spot in the All-Australian squad.

"Dustin is a great of our club and fully invested in helping us write the next chapter – clearly we will have discussions with his management in the not too distant future," Gale told the publication.

"He played some exceptional football last season. Change creates energy and I have no doubt Dustin feels that – he is a really important and valued part of our club."

Should Martin play a further 11 games for Richmond next year, he'll become the seventh Tiger to play 300 matches for the club, following premiership teammates Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt in doing so.

Doubt Martin will enjoy playing in front of a small crowd on a regular basis

Doubt Martin will enjoy playing in front of a small crowd on a regular basis

Just him bringing up Darwin probably shot himself in the foot with Dusty!

If Dusty wants to play a long time it will be at Richmond, and no where else - we'll look after him to the enth degree unlike anywhere else he'd go in his career to date ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast Suns CEO Mark Evans has hinted the club will be prepared to make a move for 2024 free agent Dustin Martin if he remains unsigned late into next year.

Article is a crack up. He was continually tied to the Gold Coast lol no he wasn't. It was McClure that put that out there over and over, not one word from Dusty.

Then dusty stays put this year to play on in 2024 and then the goal posts change for end of 2024 due to his contract expiring. Personally, I cannot see him going, and he will sign an extension with Richmond.

Last edited:

So it's now open season on identifying and publicly targetting opposition players now?

If the gloves come off, I know who'll come out of such an arrangement as winners, and it won't be the Gold Coast Suns.

So it's now open season on identifying and publicly targetting opposition players now?

If the gloves come off, I know who'll come out of such an arrangement as winners, and it won't be the Gold Coast Suns.
More likely that the Sun Tanned will fold and then merged with the Tiges. End up with all ex Tiges players / coaches / support back at Punt Road with associated media / oppos / AFL headquarters, screaming and crying at us.

ie. normal transmission resumed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back