Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a liability on our list with where we are at.

Remember the talk pre-season & the year before "He is flying he never misses a session" than it comes to the season & he misses several games.

I honestly didn't believe the hype at the start of the year & let it be a warning for another club thinking about picking him up, he can barely train anymore.

Something is not right with the Martin situation gut feeling.
If you were injured and had to front up to Louie the Butcher you wouldnā€™t enjoy it either

Ringo drummed in the Beatles forever. But i reckon he got pretty lucky to join a band with John Lennon & Paul.

Doesn't mean Ringo didn't have the chops to do the job, but he certainly would not have been in the greatest band of all time otherwise.

So was Ringo equally as important in the Beatles success than the other 2? Or was he perhaps lucky to team-up with TWO once in a lifetime talents? I reckon Ringo would even agree with the latter.

Dimma played a role in our rise, but played a much bigger role IMO with the fall. He destroyed the culture with his personal choices. He destroyed the entire small forward division by refusing to zag the game style when it was clear as day it needed it. He destroyed the list with his insistence that the club just were "1 or 2" players short of competing again when it was clear as day it was over. And then the second reality set in, he broke contract, without warning, lied to the club about "exhaustion" and took another job a couple of months later & left the club completely in the crapper with no options to replace him. He was contracted ffs. Benny thought he had "locked in" our guy for the long-term and all of a sudden, he was gone - 8 games after he traded 2 years of our best picks for 2 players who played the same bloody position. He didn't even trade the 2 years of picks for pieces that are hard to obtain (ie Full Back, Full Forward). Talented mids are available everywhere in the first 2 rounds of a draft.

Since leaving he has poached our players and former players to join him. We can appreciate his past with us, but there is absolutely no reason we should respect this bloke "today".

Meanwhile, members here are slagging supporters off for not wasting their Sunday at the MCG. unbelievable

Way too much focus is placed on only 2017-2020. FFS he took over a complete basketcase of a club in 2010, who had not made finals since 2001. GWS and GC had the Lionā€™s share of top picks. His first 9-games were were 0-9 with a percentage of under 50%. We were being called the worst team since the Fitzroy days and there were calls for special AFL assistance.

Just 3-years later in 2013 we finished 5th with a 15-7 record and percentage of 122%. That in itself is an extraordinary coaching performance. Then we were 3-10 in 2014 before a miraculous 9-game winning streak to make finalsā€¦. again, amazing coaching to turn that season around. Then in 2015 we again finished 15-7 with a percentage of 123%.

Do you realise 2013-14 was the first time since 1974-75 weā€™d made back-to-back finals series ā€¦. yep, 40 bloody years !!

Of course each season ended with a disappointing finals exit, but any suggestion Dimma wasnā€™t a great coach and relied on his assistant is put to bed by going 42-24 in H&A across 2013-15, just 3-years after being compared to Fitzroy.

And if you need some context:

Nicks started a rebuild 5-years ago and Crows havenā€™t made finals and are currently 14th.

North got LDU in 2017, and 7-years and a gazillion top-5 picks later they havenā€™t made finals and are 2-15 and 17th.

GC have had a gazillion top draft picks and still havenā€™t made finals in 14-years.

Saints made finals in 2023 with a 13-10 record with one of the gameā€™s ā€˜greatā€™ coaches. Now theyā€™re 15th.

So even if Dimma was shown the door end of 2016, he had done some amazing things to get the club into 3 consecutive finals series from 2013-15.

The 2017-20 rubber stamped him as a truly brilliant coach. Iā€™ll be staggered if GC donā€™t achieve some great things during his tenure. And when they do itā€™ll be because he got all these academy kids etcā€¦.and he probably wonā€™t be given due recognition. Just like at Richmond it was because of his assistants and Dusty.

But bringing sustained success to a club requires a truly great senior coach, no matter what ā€˜assistanceā€™ they get along the way. History tells you this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Way too much focus is placed on only 2017-2020. FFS he took over a complete basketcase of a club in 2010, who had not made finals since 2001. GWS and GC had the Lionā€™s share of top picks. His first 9-games were were 0-9 with a percentage of under 50%. We were being called the worst team since the Fitzroy days and there were calls for special AFL assistance.

Just 3-years later in 2013 we finished 5th with a 15-7 record and percentage of 122%. That in itself is an extraordinary coaching performance. Then we were 3-10 in 2014 before a miraculous 9-game winning streak to make finalsā€¦. again, amazing coaching to turn that season around. Then in 2015 we again finished 15-7 with a percentage of 123%.

Do you realise 2013-14 was the first time since 1974-75 weā€™d made back-to-back finals series ā€¦. yep, 40 bloody years !!

Of course each season ended with a disappointing finals exit, but any suggestion Dimma wasnā€™t a great coach and relied on his assistant is put to bed by going 42-24 in H&A across 2013-15, just 3-years after being compared to Fitzroy.

And if you need some context:

Nicks started a rebuild 5-years ago and Crows havenā€™t made finals and are currently 14th.

North got LDU in 2017, and 7-years and a gazillion top-5 picks later they havenā€™t made finals and are 2-15 and 17th.

GC have had a gazillion top draft picks and still havenā€™t made finals in 14-years.

Saints made finals in 2023 with a 13-10 record with one of the gameā€™s ā€˜greatā€™ coaches. Now theyā€™re 15th.

So even if Dimma was shown the door end of 2016, he had done some amazing things to get the club into 3 consecutive finals series from 2013-15.

The 2017-20 rubber stamped him as a truly brilliant coach. Iā€™ll be staggered if GC donā€™t achieve some great things during his tenure. And when they do itā€™ll be because he got all these academy kids etcā€¦.and he probably wonā€™t be given due recognition. Just like at Richmond it was because of his assistants and Dusty.

But bringing sustained success to a club requires a truly great senior coach, no matter what ā€˜assistanceā€™ they get along the way. History tells you this.

No doubt Hardwick is a good coach. He was there from the start when the club had to rebuild and then he got multiple Premiership success. But a good coach needs a good team around him also.....good assistants, good footy department, good staff, good President and good CEO and the culture needs to be good as well.

Hardwick did a lot for Richmond but there were other contributors, on the field and off the field. Rightly it should be deemed a "team effort".

His been fantastic for us and a club champion, but haven't like how it's played out this season a few things I'll say it how it is.

His body hasn't been right all season we we're told preseason his flying lucky he can run or sprint in games

In all honesty with a back injury last thing you need is flying on a aircraft should be in rehab and getting his body right. Not a good look for me say it how it is.

His 300th game didn't commit to a club interview on the club website yet did the fox footy one didn't like that all cause his comfortable with Jack load of bs . The club put that 300th game package together yet he was a no show bit disrespectful.

There is tension there for me with who not sure.

Last edited:
No doubt Hardwick is a good coach. He was there from the start when the club had to rebuild and then he got multiple Premiership success. But a good coach needs a good team around him also.....good assistants, good footy department, good staff, good President and good CEO and the culture needs to be good as well.

Hardwick did a lot for Richmond but there were other contributors, on the field and off the field. Rightly it should be deemed a "team effort".
šŸ’Æ I tell you now those highlighted in bold Yze doesn't have alot of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. the end is starting to feel a little sour, for whatever reason, whether he goes or just cbf. Regardless, would be nice to see him not give up on us entirely.
After the late preseason calf injury now a back injury means we aren't seeing much good football from the boy. Hit the wall badly. Crook backs can painful and hard to heal. I doubt he's faking it.

Barely worthy of another contract anyhow, his best has passed him. 5 weeks to go & we will start seeing our player retirements.

page remains GIF

Could Dusty be used to entice a ā€œ Doozyā€ ? I mean ooze is saying how much heā€™s helping our younger players but he wouldnā€™t be the only one? I think all senior players would be? Iā€™ve No proof, call it a hunch? Or itā€™s just highlighting Dustinā€™s value to the team cos heā€™s not onfield at the moment?

I'm starting to think that maybe it would have been better for him to finish up after the 300th. It was the perfect way for him and the tiger army to farewell each other.

As good Dusty has been, as much as he has contributed to the RFC and he really has contributed so much....the end to me seems to be turning sour to the point of..."lets just be over it ajd done with" type of feeling. The constant media attention and speculation must annoy him at times and annoy the RFC, as a supporter, I'm annoyed by it.

If he wants to leave the RFC and go elsewhere, then fine and that's his choice, he owes the RFC nothing. If he wants to stay then that's fine too but he has shown up and the injures have piled on.

If he does go and play elsewhere, he is still a RFC champion. Dusty won't be the last high profile player to leave a club. It happens all the time. Ablett JNR did it...left Geelong and headed to Gold Coast (and returned to Geelong), Judd left the WCE and headed to Carlton.

As I said it happens all the time. I'm glad he played for the RFC when he was at his best.

Yes, absolutely.. we had loads of magnificent contributors. But a club can have a great off-field ā€˜teamā€™, but if the senior coach is not one of the best they wonā€™t have sustained success.

I think a single flag can be jagged by coaches I wouldnā€™t rate as ā€˜greatā€™ when everything falls into place (eg. Goodwin, Walls, Bevo) but not multiple flags, not BTB, and certainly not a dynasty coach.

As good Dusty has been, as much as he has contributed to the RFC and he really has contributed so much....the end to me seems to be turning sour to the point of..."lets just be over it ajd done with" type of feeling. The constant media attention and speculation must annoy him at times and annoy the RFC, as a supporter, I'm annoyed by it.

If he wants to leave the RFC and go elsewhere, then fine and that's his choice, he owes the RFC nothing. If he wants to stay then that's fine too but he has shown up and the injures have piled on.

If he does go and play elsewhere, he is still a RFC champion. Dusty won't be the last high profile player to leave a club. It happens all the time. Ablett JNR did it...left Geelong and headed to Gold Coast (and returned to Geelong), Judd left the WCE and headed to Carlton.

As I said it happens all the time. I'm glad he played for the RFC when he was at his best.

Donā€™t buy into the media hype about all this. Heā€™s a 33yo player suffering with injury. Heā€™s perhaps mentally not great at the moment. He wouldā€™ve asked the club if he could go and spend some time with family and they wouldā€™ve granted him that wish.

Was there similar commentary earlier this season when JUH took multiple weeks off? And his team was fighting for finals, but barely a word about that as JUH was mentally not great.

So just because Richmond havenā€™t come out and said specifics, donā€™t believe itā€™s not mental as well as physical. Martin likes his privacy and the club would respect that, and if he said he didnā€™t want the club to mention mental health they wouldnā€™t.

So donā€™t automatically link Martin going to NZ and not being able to play as any sort of disastrous fall out or attitude problem ā€¦ the media is running this narrative, but Iā€™m certain the club is very comfortable with everything that is transpiring. The club knows the facts.. and as always with Martin, the media has NFI.

He is a liability on our list with where we are at.

Remember the talk pre-season & the year before "He is flying he never misses a session" than it comes to the season & he misses several games.

I honestly didn't believe the hype at the start of the year & let it be a warning for another club thinking about picking him up, he can barely train anymore.

You're not wrong - talked up as if he's superfit but then you watch time trials and he's near the back of the pack. Clearly doesnt look fit, kind reminds me of me, runs like he's stiff and sore lol

It feels like the whole club is in limbo at the moment. Waiting for the punt rd re-development, new ceo, draft and trade period etc feels like the whole club and even supporters are just waiting for the offseason. Not a big deal if Martin travelled to NZ, we in all likelihood weren't going to take him to south australia anyway and it probably benefits us to play a kid since wins aren't all that important at this stage. I'm sure Martin was in contact with the club and got it ticked off once he was ruled out of the GWS game, missing the port game is a non-issue be it for a back injury or travel to NZ

After the late preseason calf injury now a back injury means we aren't seeing much good football from the boy. Hit the wall badly. Crook backs can painful and hard to heal. I doubt he's faking it.

Barely worthy of another contract anyhow, his best has passed him. 5 weeks to go & we will start seeing our player retirements.
How can you play golf with a bad back?? You canā€™t

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back