4 Underrated and Overrated songs by your favourite artists

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
4 isn't entirely necessary, just list some songs who find better than what is given credit for and songs that get a lot of hype that you don't understand.

AC/DC
Overrated:
For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) - maybe I just don't like long songs. It's too long.
T.N.T. - It's not a bad song by any means, but it lacks the fury and fire that the rest of the album held.
Rock n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - it seems like a basic track they recorded very late. Not a fan.
Back In Black - good song don't get me wrong but FFS Triple M, they have other songs too.

Underrated:
Sink The Pink - one of my all-time favourite songs and my favourite AC/DC song. Great stuff.
Love Hungry Man - a hidden gem on Highway To Hell, it's one of Bon's finest tracks me thinks.
Can I Sit Next To You Girl - amazing riff by young Angus, a terrific song overall.
Touch Too Much - it's well known but not appreciated enough. It's one of Bon's best songs ever.

Guns N' Roses
Overrated:
Paradise City - it's a great concert song, but it's overplayed and the song is pretty much on repeat after 2 minutes.
Live And Let Die - it's not a bad song but why it still gets radio play to this day is beyond me when you consider other songs of theirs
Mr Brownstone - a bit boring for me, don't often listen to it.
You Could Be Mine - it's a badass song but I just can't stand Axl's vocals.

Underrated:
Down on the Farm - best song on the Incident, it also contains one of Slash's best solos ever.
One In A Million - despite it's controversy, it's basically the same as Patience so I'm not sure why it has such a low rep.
Dust N Bones - one of my favourites on UYI1, Izzy's vocals are well done.
It's So Easy - perhaps the only time Duff ever sang and didn't sound drunk. It's a quality song.

Last edited:
Agree big time re. Behind blue eyes and for those about to rock. Behind blue eyes is catchy but builds to nothing.

U2 - underrated
Stay - the one song from Zooropa and Pop, their two most electronic albums, that stands up as an awesome guitar song. Sounds great acoustically and very touching subject matter.

Staring at The Sun - off Pop, and while I like a lot of songs on that album it's the one properly catchy one

New Year's Day - perhaps not underrated as such, a lot of people like it, but probably my favourite song from those first four albums before Joshua Tree. Adam's bass drives the song really well which was a rarity at that point give that he was basically shithouse

Gloria - The best song off October, great riff and just reeks of a band that were desperate to make noise. Something really raw and unpolished about it.

Honourable mention: Bad. Larry's drumming is like a pulse that you can feel in your brain.

Overrated:
Vertigo: the riff tried too hard. Just thought it was an average song, a long way short of their classic stuff, yet seemed huge.

With or without you: I quite like the song truth be told, but just felt it was a little behind some of the other songs on that album. Where The Streets Have No Name is probably my favourite U2 song of all so it kind of felt like it was getting the attention that should have been reserved for the better of the singles.

All I Want Is You: yeah it's a nice song but it's f***ing repetitive

Beautiful Day: the words never meant much to me, the chorus seems like it has no flow, and that beat from the chorus managed to infiltrate the otherwise ok work of Coldplay (clocks for example)

Pearl Jam, Underrated.

Yellow Ledbetter - Not by fans, as it is very popular and a regular set closer, but it was never released and probably not that well known outside of fans who have the B-Sides album.
Tremor Christ - Vitalogy is just chock full of great songs, so not surprising that one or to get overlooked.
In Hiding - Doesn't get the love from Yield that Given to Fly or Wishlist receive, but a great song.
Amongst the Waves - From one of their later albums, so probably not heard by too many, but a great soaring rock tune.

Overrated
Last Kiss - A perfectly adequate cover, but the love it got at the time and since still surprises me.
Wishlist - Popular at the time because it's radio friendly, but not amazing and just trails off.
Daughter - Controversial, because I still really like this song, but it's obviously one of their most well known songs and I probably wouldn't have it in my top 20.
Love Boat Captain - Don't know how rated this was, but it was a single off Riot Act and it's just not that great.

Last edited:

For GnR, I’d have You Could Be Mine in the under rated category, so there you go.

Will do my PJ version:
Under:
(Not including b sides, etc. most of them are under rated almost by definition)
Not For You - brilliant **** you song
Off he Goes - great sing along and great easy song to play on guitar
Brain of J - great opener to a great album. Just so pumped when you listen to it
Given to Fly - you know when it first came out, I didn’t love it, but I fall in love with it more each year. Should be the sort of song they staple to the encore like they do Alive or Better Man. Which brings me to

Over:
Better Man - yeah it’s just a bit boring for me
Wishlist - see above
Inside Job - the fans seem to love it. I don’t get it. Think it’s a bad song. Just bad.
Last Kiss - seriously? This was their biggest ever single in Australia?

Soundgarden

Under:
Tighter & Tighter - an epic song that builds as good as any of their other songs. Just put it on and close your eyes.
Let Me Drown - great opener, great riff and angry chorus. Love it.
Head Down - unlike many songs you’ll hear, great sound
Searching with my Good Eye Closed - I think it was Soundwave where I saw them last, they played the intro and when it kicks into the song, they switched to playing Spoonman. I was devastated.

Over:
Black Hole Sun - an easy one I admit, it’s just a bit tame for me. Typical radio friendly rock song.
Fell on Black Days - a bit like above. Feel like they did the same song better with Day I Tried to Live
Hand all over - much better songs than this on the album

Sorry, can’t come up with 4 over rated for SG!

For GnR, I’d have You Could Be Mine in the under rated category, so there you go.

Will do my PJ version:
Under:
Brain of J - great opener to a great album. Just so pumped when you listen to it
Given to Fly - you know when it first came out, I didn’t love it, but I fall in love with it more each year. Should be the sort of song they staple to the encore like they do Alive or Better Man. Which brings me to

Over:
Wishlist - see above
Inside Job - the fans seem to love it. I don’t get it. Think it’s a bad song. Just bad.

Last kiss was a f***ing abortion of a song.

Given To Fly is f***ing classic.

Beyoncé:

Overrated songs:
Single ladies - possibly one of the worst songs she has recorded
Deja Vu
Telephone
Irreplaceable

Underrated:
Start Over
Why Don't You Love Me
Resentment
Don't Hurt Yourself

Led Zep
Over rated
Stairway To Heaven - I love it but overplayed which has made me like it a bit less
All of My Love - doesn't really go anywhere and not brilliant lyrics
Rock and Roll - good but repetitive, not brill lyrics and overplayed
Any where Planty sings in a squeaky voice and throws in dodgy adlibs

Under rated
That's The Way - my second fave of Zeps
Since I've Been Loving You - my fave and rarely played on radio though Zep fans would rate it highly I imagine
Dazed and Confused [live] off The Song Remains the Same - bugger being too long, an epic from start to finish [about 20 minutes]
Hats Off to Roy Harper - quirky but nice

220px-Acdc_logo_band.svg.png

Overrated
Thunderstruck:
It's basically a pop song with uncharacteristic overdubbing. Take out the iconic riff and I don't think it would be anywhere near as big.
Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be: This gets wheeled out for every tour. It's good but I know there's better. Can't help but think it's the one song that has benefited from Bon Scott nostalgia.
Back in Black: It's a classic alright but be gee, it isn't so much overrated as it is overplayed. Easily second behind Thunderstruck.
You Shook Me All Night Long: A brilliant solo saves it, but again, it's AC/DC knowing how to soften the edges of their hard rock sound for appeal. It's great at it but if you like something a tad harder, can take it or leave it. Their song that has grown the most compared to it's initial reception so I guess that's something.

Underrated
Sink the Pink:
It's a ripper, great riffs, big sound, big chorus, just perfectly crafted hard rock.
The Razors Edge: As close the band gets to heavy metal, some might say it actually is metal. A brooding track with a great riff.
Burnin Alive: Just a terrific album song, was given no fanfare, but not a second of this is wasted. I love it.

I'm really struggling to pick a third song, could easily do a dozen underrated. The guy up there said Touch Too Much so I'll go with that. A simple, dirty, rough one, one of their songs where the blues based aspect of their sound just isn't there. Straightforward hard rock here, almost punk.

HM: Shake A Leg, Rock n Roll Singer, Moneytalks, Overdose, Hail Ceaser... **** I really could go on for a while.

Last edited:
Led Zep
Over rated
Stairway To Heaven - I love it but overplayed which has made me like it a bit less

Under rated
Since I've Been Loving You - my fave and rarely played on radio though Zep fans would rate it highly I imagine
Dazed and Confused [live] off The Song Remains the Same - bugger being too long, an epic from start to finish [about 20 minutes]

Never thought I would see anyone call Rock And Roll overrated.

It’s all personal choice obviously but geez, it’s not going to be a profound song when it is quite simple a song simply celebrating rock and roll. It’s exactly what the song says - four blokes playing as hard as they can, flat out balls to the wall rock and roll. Easily my favourite Zep song, and that’s saying something.

Each to their own though I guess.

It’s all personal choice obviously but geez, it’s not going to be a profound song when it is quite simple a song simply celebrating rock and roll. It’s exactly what the song says - four blokes playing as hard as they can, flat out balls to the wall rock and roll. Easily my favourite Zep song, and that’s saying something.

Yeah I like it a lot myself, just not as much as some other people. Same with Stairway. Over rated is an over rated term anyway.
160_F_30690959_PbmDYFZ97dDjLe9G3TnHWEuXqxFSi3Vy.jpg

Here's something to cheer you up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Led Zep
Over rated

Under rated

Black Dog is the most over rated Zep song bar none.

I used to think Black Dog was average at best but then that famous riff just started killing me, and man those vocals are just so raw! I’m not sure any other Zep song has that much energy in it, it’s just awesome.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pearl Jam:

Underated:
1. Given to Fly - was a single but never gets radio play - would rather hear this more than Even Flow
2. Come Back - One of their best from their later albums, the end of this is spectacular
3. Faithfull - was always my favourite on Yield and still is a favourite
4. Indifference - just crank this in the car, its a slow song but brilliant
5. Off He Goes - one of their best quieter songs
6. Present Tense - builds and builds and then a minute of just rocking out

Could add a load more like Release, Rats, Last Exit etc

Overated:
1. Even Flow: Played so many times it has lost all enjoyment
2. Daughter - I still enjoy this song but boy is it repetitive - gets saved live because they add tags on the end
3. Last Kiss - was never a fan
4. Wishlist - not sure if ever really rated by others but I have never been a fan

For those who like PJ, listen to 'Im Still Here' - a B-Side of sorts and its just eddie speaking the lyrics over some guitar - really good listen

Pearl Jam:

Underated:
1. Given to Fly - was a single but never gets radio play - would rather hear this more than Even Flow
2. Come Back - One of their best from their later albums, the end of this is spectacular
3. Faithfull - was always my favourite on Yield and still is a favourite
4. Indifference - just crank this in the car, its a slow song but brilliant
5. Off He Goes - one of their best quieter songs
6. Present Tense - builds and builds and then a minute of just rocking out

Could add a load more like Release, Rats, Last Exit etc

Overated:
1. Even Flow: Played so many times it has lost all enjoyment
2. Daughter - I still enjoy this song but boy is it repetitive - gets saved live because they add tags on the end
3. Last Kiss - was never a fan
4. Wishlist - not sure if ever really rated by others but I have never been a fan

For those who like PJ, listen to 'Im Still Here' - a B-Side of sorts and its just eddie speaking the lyrics over some guitar - really good listen

Will do my PJ version:
Under:

Over:
Wishlist - see above
Woah ...

I pretty much agree with the ones that aren’t the same too

Soundgarden

Under:
Tighter & Tighter - an epic song that builds as good as any of their other songs. Just put it on and close your eyes.
Let Me Drown - great opener, great riff and angry chorus. Love it.
Head Down - unlike many songs you’ll hear, great sound
Searching with my Good Eye Closed - I think it was Soundwave where I saw them last, they played the intro and when it kicks into the song, they switched to playing Spoonman. I was devastated.

Over:
Black Hole Sun - an easy one I admit, it’s just a bit tame for me. Typical radio friendly rock song.
Fell on Black Days - a bit like above. Feel like they did the same song better with Day I Tried to Live
Hand all over - much better songs than this on the album

Sorry, can’t come up with 4 over rated for SG!
Head Down is fantastic. Got hooked the first time I heard it.

Oasis

Overrated
Don't look back in anger
Some might say
Cigarettes and Alcohol
Shakermaker

Underated
My Big Mouth
Let's all make believe
Hey Now
Where Did It All Go Wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad