Past #40: Thomas Murphy - delisted after 8 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Murph

Remove this Banner Ad

Kick after kick went deep into the pocket, what did Tom do? Kicked it to the dangerous top of the square and Mason Wood almost kicks a goal out of it.

He stays for mine.

My main gripe with Murphy has been that he seems to have enough tools (height, speed, kick) however he seemed very hesitant...almost timid. I guess this may be expected in someone with so few games and coming from a long way back. Tonight was the first time he took on the game. Hope he keeps it up. He needs to as he might not get many more chances.

My main gripe with Murphy has been that he seems to have enough tools (height, speed, kick) however he seemed very hesitant...almost timid. I guess this may be expected in someone with so few games and coming from a long way back. Tonight was the first time he took on the game. Hope he keeps it up. He needs to as he might not get many more chances.

It’s confidence

Marked improvement. Saw him actually do some body work and try to impact the contests, on top of some good offensive running and kicking.

And yet... still only 10 disposals in 75% time on ground.

Is there something to work with there? Probably. Does the club have the luxury to hold a list spot open for him while he works on things? Probably not. I agree with what others said, he's probably not in the first few for the guillotine but he'll be sweating on list size announcements.

I kind of agree and I wouldn't say I'd be horrified if he went... but, pending the list reductions we already have several players that simply can't even get on the field. There's still a limit as to what is reasonable to cut in one season and I wouldn't be too upset if we kept a couple of extra depth guys that were at least in the right maturing age bracket. We've seen what carrying blokes like Garner and Jacobs has done to our depth (through no fault of their own). That will be an even bigger issue with shorter lists, anyone that stays reliably fit is a bonus for us and other teams. The big danger for the fringe cases (IMO) is that other teams will need to trim harder too and we could rightly see more value in depth from say Richmond, Port or West Coast and simply take some more mature depth for peanuts while trimming the perennially injured.

Yeah its almost like he's played 8 games of senior footy and struggled under a horrible development program

I’m not saying he’s a lock to make it or anything. Needs to work on getting to more contest to get into that 15d range consistently.

But if we had a forward structure where a target lead to him or there was any room I50 and he had 1-2 seconds of space, he’d be in our top 3 damaging players by foot behind Higgins and LDU.

There’s something to work with for sure. Been mentioned that he needs to maybe drop a kg or 2. Would like to see his whole pre-season tailored to a full time midfielder and see what happens.

Players who have that much penetration on their kick are pretty rare and need persistence. Everyone thought Trent McKenzie was done as a footballer, just needed time and confidence, is now a regular in a top 4 side. He’s no world beater but has a standout attribute that can be utilised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the few who looks to have penetration on his kicking, not sure about the rest though.

I imagine he probably stays on the list because of his age, but I'm not sold on him. Never have been.

His point of difference - kicking - deserted him last night in front of goal. Which left not much in terms of his contribution.

I concede he might just be a slow burn, but ...

I imagine he probably stays on the list because of his age, but I'm not sold on him. Never have been.

His point of difference - kicking - deserted him last night in front of goal. Which left not much in terms of his contribution.

I concede he might just be a slow burn, but ...
Those 2 shots at goal could be the thing that give him sleepness nights for the rest of his life. I see small improvements in him, I hope we keep him. He’s looking quicker and stronger with each game. He’s a slow burn type.

Those 2 shots at goal could be the thing that give him sleepness nights for the rest of his life. I see small improvements in him, I hope we keep him. He’s looking quicker and stronger with each game. He’s a slow burn type.

And he did look more confident ie was talking players on and looking for the right option.... in fairness to the goals he isn't a fwd but they were still gettable.... maybe not as gettable as jz or goldy!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feels like he was brought in for rd18 as a farewell game but we'll wait to see what happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #40: Thomas Murphy - delisted after 8 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Murph

Remove this Banner Ad

Back