Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

I could foresee a bit of culling off the list quite easily if we manage to get both Hopper and Taranto which would free up some space on the main list.
Some more senior players will look for a new longer deals, especially those on the edge of selection or who have played a bit of VFL, Castagna, Soldo, possibly Graham as spots forward and centre are going to be very hard too secure.

Others might be part of a trade deal to get lower pics, and they might have to be good players, again Graham and Soldo.

Some young developing types, especially mids like Dow and RCD will know how difficult getting a senior midfield gig will be (especially with Cotchin going around again) and might become impatient. These two also have some trade currency.

Others like Stack who were not given a sniff this year might be shopping around, we haven't heard much so it's hard to tell.

That is 6 possibles, only need two 2 move with quite a few retirements.

Imagine if Stack went away, got super fit and added some proper size in the gym and came back as a straight-up bull midfielder. He'd destroy campaigners.

That's my dream. If Stack can get his sh*t together and keep it together we have a genuine star

Prediction - if we cut him loose we'll never hear about him again.

Considering the retirees, we have had this season in Lambert, Caddy, Edwards and Parker leaving, the fact that we will have limited picks available after securing Hopper & Taranto plus the news that some other clubs might be interested in RCD I don't believe we will delist Stack unless we bring in a few fringe players from other teams ourselves.

Prediction - if we cut him loose we'll never hear about him again.

If ss does leave. I'm very thankful for his contributions.

Most games in the Richmond dynastyz without playing in a flag. Quite an important cog.

Vfl flag was gold too even with his injury

Considering the retirees, we have had this season in Lambert, Caddy, Edwards and Parker leaving, the fact that we will have limited picks available after securing Hopper & Taranto plus the news that some other clubs might be interested in RCD I don't believe we will delist Stack unless we bring in a few fringe players from other teams ourselves.
I don't want him delisted either.

Imagine if Stack went away, got super fit and added some proper size in the gym and came back as a straight-up bull midfielder. He'd destroy campaigners.

Do you mean if Stack did what is expected of a professional footballer? He hasn't yet demonstrated the maturity to do so. I hope he grasps the opportunity before it is too late.

2019 he did. Would have played in a flag if he didnt get injured.
He had been dropped and he injured his ankle in the VFL. He made it back and played in the VFL Grand Final. Marlion Pickett played in the same game and was clearly BOG. The rest is history. Perhaps it was a sliding doors moment for Sydney Stack.

He had been dropped and he injured his ankle in the VFL. He made it back and played in the VFL Grand Final. Marlion Pickett played in the same game and was clearly BOG. The rest is history. Perhaps it was a sliding doors moment for Sydney Stack.
He played good football at the back end of last year, named our best or near best of half back in one game. Then he became a forward. There is your sliding door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019 is a long time ago when he played good footy , but my issue is every preseason rocks up not in shape and then takes half season to catchup how long can the club go on doing this . Talent is there professionalism and desire not sure.
Really needs Marlion to sit him down and explain "life" to him.

His calf injury at training on the Thursday after the round 19 game v Collingwood in 2019 was what stuffed his year.

He was going along nicely and had played 16 games in a row from round 3 to round 19 v Collingwood, when he had 20 disposals and kicked 1.2.

He then injured his calf the following Thursday at training and missed the round 20 game v Melbourne.

He got recalled for round 21 v Carlton but was quiet and got dropped, then did his ankle the following week in the VFL.

Really needs Marlion to sit him down and explain "life" to him.
I don't get this harping back on to October. He has not done anything wrong since turning up early preseason with less running that he should have. Still 3 months of training before his first year and 6 months before last year. Please explain how he let himself down over a whole season of VFL football.

I don't get this harping back on to October. He has not done anything wrong since turning up early preseason with less running that he should have. Still 3 months of training before his first year and 6 months before last year. Please explain how he let himself down over a whole season of VFL football.
Despite a ton of talent, he didn't make the team. He played one game. We thrashed the opposition. He barely got a touch, despite playing up forward. He then stagnated throughout the year in the VFL and never put together a run of good form. In the coaches parlance, he wasn't banging down the door.

The same criticism can be levelled at RCD, but he at least finished the year well in the VFL.

I fully expect RCD to be delisted or traded and Sydney Stack given one more chance. I hope he uses it well.

Despite a ton of talent, he didn't make the team. He played one game. We thrashed the opposition. He barely got a touch, despite playing up forward. He then stagnated throughout the year in the VFL and never put together a run of good form. In the coaches parlance, he wasn't banging down the door.

The same criticism can be levelled at RCD, but he at least finished the year well in the VFL.

I fully expect RCD to be delisted or traded and Sydney Stack given one more chance. I hope he uses it
Why did they not throw him back where they know he can play good football and find some form, not once. It was bizarre. Mansell was tried forward, didn't work. Short and Balta tried forward. Gibcus forward, went back. All went back to their natural positions, why not Stack. An entire year wasted, I understand half a year perhaps to see if it will work, but all year rinse and repeat. And when he did play well he wasn't selected.

I fully expect Stack to be playing half back elsewhere next year and I would not blame him at all. I hope I'm wrong because he could be better than Baker and perhaps even Rioli if he ever reaches his full potential.

Last edited:
Why did they not throw him back where they know he can play good football and find some form, not once. It was bizarre. Mansell was tried forward, didn't work. Short and Balta tried forward. Gibcus forward, went back. All went back to their natural positions, why not Stack. An entire year wasted, I understand half a year perhaps to see if it will work, but all year rinse and repeat. And when he did play well he wasn't selected.

I fully expect Stack to be playing half back elsewhere next year and I would not blame him at all. I hope I'm wrong because he could be better than Baker and perhaps even Rioli if he ever reaches his full potential.
If gws were smart they’d be chasing him

On the face of it, it is impossible to disagree that Stack playing deep forward all season in the VFL was bizarre. You can only imagine there is some sort of longer game playing out that we as supporters cannot see as yet. If that is the case then what could it be or not be?

Surely cannot be true:

1. fattening Stack up for trade. You would play him where he would gain the most attention, on ball or half back.

2. maximising his chances of playing AFL in 2022. You would play him in his natural habitat as above.

3. to punish him. This would seem to run completely against the club’s growth mindset.

Could be true, but doesn’t seem like an obvious answer:

1. rounding out his on field education to get Sydney to understand what forwards need from him when he plays upfield.

2. Sydney finds it impossible to fit into a team defensive grid and it is the only position available on the field that allows him to get away without having to do that.

3. Sydney was not meeting running standards required for upfield positions

4. Improving off field preparation was seen as the greatest priority for Sydney and him often getting rewarding reinforcement when he plays upfield was seen to be interfering with his ability to improve the way he prepares himself for AFL football.

Of the immediately above unlikely looking reasons that seemingly could be true I would say:

1. If that was true then you would not think it would have gone on for the whole season, more likely just a decent block of matches.

2. If this is true it may seriously limit his future as an AFL player. But maybe getting him to realise that is the point…

3. If this is true then hopefully Sydney puts in a monster pre-season this year to open up more positions for him.

4. This seems really unlikely but might fit with Sydney seemingly being kept deliberately out of the midst of the action for the whole season.

I just really cannot think of any other possibilities, let alone probabilities. Sydney seemed in good spirits all season which tends to suggest he has been working with the club rather than he and the club being at loggerheads. That he hasn’t been contracted yet but there are suggestions he will be offered a 1 year deal hints that the club is monitoring what Sydney is doing since the footy season and club training ended - to the extent that it is legal within AFL rules to do so. So I would guess if Sydney is meeting certain standards then he signs a deal before the deadline. If he is not meeting those standards then it might be curtains for him yet, which would be very sad to see as a footy supporter.

On the face of it, it is impossible to disagree that Stack playing deep forward all season in the VFL was bizarre. You can only imagine there is some sort of longer game playing out that we as supporters cannot see as yet. If that is the case then what could it be or not be?

Surely cannot be true:

1. fattening Stack up for trade. You would play him where he would gain the most attention, on ball or half back.

2. maximising his chances of playing AFL in 2022. You would play him in his natural habitat as above.

3. to punish him. This would seem to run completely against the club’s growth mindset.

Could be true, but doesn’t seem like an obvious answer:

1. rounding out his on field education to get Sydney to understand what forwards need from him when he plays upfield.

2. Sydney finds it impossible to fit into a team defensive grid and it is the only position available on the field that allows him to get away without having to do that.

3. Sydney was not meeting running standards required for upfield positions

4. Improving off field preparation was seen as the greatest priority for Sydney and him often getting rewarding reinforcement when he plays upfield was seen to be interfering with his ability to improve the way he prepares himself for AFL football.

Of the immediately above unlikely looking reasons that seemingly could be true I would say:

1. If that was true then you would not think it would have gone on for the whole season, more likely just a decent block of matches.

2. If this is true it may seriously limit his future as an AFL player. But maybe getting him to realise that is the point…

3. If this is true then hopefully Sydney puts in a monster pre-season this year to open up more positions for him.

4. This seems really unlikely but might fit with Sydney seemingly being kept deliberately out of the midst of the action for the whole season.

I just really cannot think of any other possibilities, let alone probabilities. Sydney seemed in good spirits all season which tends to suggest he has been working with the club rather than he and the club being at loggerheads. That he hasn’t been contracted yet but there are suggestions he will be offered a 1 year deal hints that the club is monitoring what Sydney is doing since the footy season and club training ended - to the extent that it is legal within AFL rules to do so. So I would guess if Sydney is meeting certain standards then he signs a deal before the deadline. If he is not meeting those standards then it might be curtains for him yet, which would be very sad to see as a footy supporter.
Very good post. I've whinged (ad nauseum) a lot about all you've mentioned, so well done for putting it all in one post.
Have also said we as outsiders are obviously not privy to what goes on, so who knows.
Agree with the generally happy disposition of Stacks (apart from a bit of good old white line fever).
Would be nice to see him put pen to paper, we will see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back