Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

When the coaches mention professionalism they are specifically referring to preparation. His professionalism in training and fitness is fine, its related to recovery and preparing his body for the following week - Dimma specifically mentioned this almost verbatim towards the end of the season. No need to speculate, its there in black and white.

You don't reckon playing a whole season in the VFL he might have twigged.

With SS it is not so much about professionalism but more about desire. He knows what it takes, but does he want it bad enough.

I have also harped on all season long that the club has to take some responsibility as well, he is a back not a forward pocket, and I am pretty sure if he was played there we would have seen a different player.

If he stays on the list he won't be played forward next year surely, and if he gets picked up if he leaves or is booted, then he will be played back again.
I thought after stuffing up on the Gold Coast and costing the club $100k (well $50k is his share) he might have twigged

I thought after getting locked up for breaking Covid rules and missing half a pre-season he might have twigged

I thought after spending most of 2021 in the VFL he might have twigged

I thought getting called out for not coming back in shape in pre-season 2022 he might have twigged

I thought after getting a game against the worst team at the time (WC), not getting akick and getting dropped he might have twigged

I, like you, would hope after playing the whole year in the two's, he might have twigged, but history suggests he won't.

Don't get me wrong here, I agree with you about the talent he has, what value he could/would add to the team at his best, but to be honest, the only one who can change that is SS, and again, he's had plenty of wake up calls, but he is yet to apply the commitment needed to see he talent shine.

And as for the Back Pocket thing, watch in 2021 when he was playing back, he was horribly exposed one on one. He could be a great rebounding defender, but that role is taken by Rioli, and there's no room for two of them.

I thought after stuffing up on the Gold Coast and costing the club $100k (well $50k is his share) he might have twigged

I thought after getting locked up for breaking Covid rules and missing half a pre-season he might have twigged

I thought after spending most of 2021 in the VFL he might have twigged

I thought getting called out for not coming back in shape in pre-season 2022 he might have twigged

I thought after getting a game against the worst team at the time (WC), not getting akick and getting dropped he might have twigged

I, like you, would hope after playing the whole year in the two's, he might have twigged, but history suggests he won't.

Don't get me wrong here, I agree with you about the talent he has, what value he could/would add to the team at his best, but to be honest, the only one who can change that is SS, and again, he's had plenty of wake up calls, but he is yet to apply the commitment needed to see he talent shine.

And as for the Back Pocket thing, watch in 2021 when he was playing back, he was horribly exposed one on one. He could be a great rebounding defender, but that role is taken by Rioli, and there's no room for two of them.
I agree with most of your post but for the last bit. In his first year he was excellent, tough and very strong defensively in the back pocket, was rarely exposed in fact he won contests when he had no right to. Even last year he was named our best or 2nd player late in the season in the AVL, he only played 8 VFL games due to not coming back from WA until late March/early April.

I think defensively he is a far stronger player than Rioli, Short and Baker, none of whom were strong defensively but are getting more so the longer they play there. Besides his run of half back is very strong as you say, a bit like Rioli, imagine those two in the same team.

I’m going to back in the club here. They know why he wasn’t getting games at AFL level and yes ‘he might’ come good but we’ve seen plenty of extremely talented footballers get chewed up in the system if they don’t prepare or dedicate themselves properly.

It’s a shame as he was so electric when he broke into the side in his first season but his downfall was also predictable too.

And Patrick Naish had Brett Delidio posters on his bedroom walls. How many players have we let go which have dominated us? We lost that "Stengle" game by 3 points. Stengle was no loss. He was at Adelaide as well remember before the cats. Let's see how he backs it up.
The Stengle lovefest irritates me a bit.

He received 3 Brownlow votes against us, recalling one of his brilliant goals happened when Prestia was knocked out and prone on the ground , meanwhile Stengle ran around unopposed.

This is one I disagree with the club on. I think we've let an elite talent go and he may come back to Stengle us with another club.
You do realise Stengle got rolled by the cops in Adelaide for having Cocaine and was delisted and sent back to the SANFL all before ending back up at Geelong...

not a massive miss by us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he prob got on the sauce and kfc as soon as the season was over and rfc found out

he was going to be getting a new contract

in all his time with rfc he never showed up to a pre season in good nick

The Stengle lovefest irritates me a bit.

He received 3 Brownlow votes against us, recalling one of his brilliant goals happened when Prestia was knocked out and prone on the ground , meanwhile Stengle ran around unopposed.
Newsflash .. He had 17 other possessions and kicked two others goals and only have five contested possessions as no one could get within a bulls roar of him.
He played a great game. Deal with it.
Amazing how some can never give the opposition even a smidgeon of respect or credit.

Unsurprised to see him go, but hopefully this is the kick up the arse he needs. Hopefully he gets a second chance somewhere else.

Agree entirely.
I sincerely hope it works out for him - in life and football.
Deserved a bit more of a run this season, but likely something behind the scenes contributed to him not getting those chances.
As someone said, amazing we gave Aarts (and Castagna) more chances ahead of Stack, but he just didn't seem to want it and I feel his papers were stamped a long way out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back