AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

We have spent all this time trying to turn medium fowards and backmen into what Tsatas is, but we won't play Tsatas in that position.
They have in the VFL.
Due to his injuries in his top age year and again last year he is not physically developed enough to play inside midfield at AFL level . Playing him on the wing did not work but they wanted to play him . Hopefully he gets another decent pre season so he is physically stronger and can get a look at the midfield. I am still not sold on his kicking but he can play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we replace one bad kicker off HBF (Martin) with Tastas? We can't get any worse and he can practice his kicking at AFL level.

There’s not too many changes I’d be opposed to Scott trying this weekend, but this would certainly be one haha

Can we replace one bad kicker off HBF (Martin) with Tastas? We can't get any worse and he can practice his kicking at AFL level.
There is sort of a difference between making poor decisions and actually having issues kicking the ball 🙂

About 6 weeks ago, we were calling for Tsatas to be played in his preferred position so that he could develop/get some confidence back/build match fitness at VFL level… ✅

Now the decision is imo:
Either play him in the AFL in his preferred position for a full game (just like he has been training for in the 2s)

OR

Keep him in the twos and play him off half back/alternate position to allow him to further improve his kicking.

Personally, I’d be giving him a couple more weeks in the 2s and then full time on ball to end the season.

About 6 weeks ago, we were calling for Tsatas to be played in his preferred position so that he could develop/get some confidence back/build match fitness at VFL level… ✅

Now the decision is imo:
Either play him in the AFL in his preferred position for a full game (just like he has been training for in the 2s)

OR

Keep him in the twos and play him off half back/alternate position to allow him to further improve his kicking.

Personally, I’d be giving him a couple more weeks in the 2s and then full time on ball to end the season.

I don't believe those are the only two options.

He's not quite physically ready to do what he's doing at AFL level. Letting him cook in the VFL, getting another preseason of conditioning and weight into him, then see whether he can start to do it against AFL sized midfielders in 2025. For a bloke who hadn't strung 4 games together since 2022 (or was it 2021?) I think continuity at any level in a consistent role is going to be important.

They have in the VFL.
Due to his injuries in his top age year and again last year he is not physically developed enough to play inside midfield at AFL level . Playing him on the wing did not work but they wanted to play him . Hopefully he gets another decent pre season so he is physically stronger and can get a look at the midfield. I am still not sold on his kicking but he can play.

Could he play 2 games in the AFL as a mid?
Or he doesn't have the body at all to even play 1?

The reason I ask is could you plan to have him possibly in against Sydney and Brisbane? See the level of two of the best two teams in the league, two solid games prior to end of the year.
Head into the postseason seeing the level, work on the body and then next year you drop him into he seniors from round 1.

Merrett, let Merrett come off a flank and not get battered in the middle.

Also clubs roll more than 3 players through the midfield.
I see the midfielders as centre, ruckrover and rover so this new fangled modern game is confusing af. Maybe Parish is a good player

I see the midfielders as centre, ruckrover and rover so this new fangled modern game is confusing af. Maybe Parish is a good player

None of the midfielders play 100% TOG so even without allowing for rolling a half-forward up the ground or some such that happens after CBAs, you have at least 1 player rotating through, usually more.

For example against STK - 29 CBAs total:

Ruck:
Draper 76% (22)
Wright 24% (7)

Not-Ruck:
Merrett 79% (23)
Stringer 72% (21)
Parish 45% (13)
Durham 34% (10)
Shiel 34% (10)
Caldwell 34% (10)

For the remainder of the season I'd use Durham and Caldwell at more CBAs, take Stringer out of there completely (excepting maybe like 1 or 2 if the forward-line is going cold and he needs to get his hands on the ball), let Tsatas and/or Hobbs take a meaningful amount (e.g. Parish's 45% or so). Could also push Merrett on to a flank more often instead of starting at centre-bounces. Merrett's best asset is his kicking, having him bash and crash at centres bounces isn't really necessarily.

None of the midfielders play 100% TOG so even without allowing for rolling a half-forward up the ground or some such that happens after CBAs, you have at least 1 player rotating through, usually more.

For example against STK - 29 CBAs total:

Ruck:
Draper 76% (22)
Wright 24% (7)

Not-Ruck:
Merrett 79% (23)
Stringer 72% (21)
Parish 45% (13)
Durham 34% (10)
Shiel 34% (10)
Caldwell 34% (10)

For the remainder of the season I'd use Durham and Caldwell at more CBAs, take Stringer out of there completely (excepting maybe like 1 or 2 if the forward-line is going cold and he needs to get his hands on the ball), let Tsatas and/or Hobbs take a meaningful amount (e.g. Parish's 45% or so). Could also push Merrett on to a flank more often instead of starting at centre-bounces. Merrett's best asset is his kicking, having him bash and crash at centres bounces isn't really necessarily.
stringer attending so many is ****ed

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back