Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations on your retirement Pickett!! Probably one of the best rags to riches stories ever. 1st game was a flag with 3rd BOG and 20 ish games later he gets another one. Won’t see anything like it again.

Obviously the best memory was the goal in the 2019 GF but 1-2 years ago I remember him knocking down a player pretty hard, he went over and looked like he was gonna help him up then shoved him into the ground again. Pissed myself 🤣

Loved seeing Marlion play. That pack mark he took in the VFL was amazing (don't have a pic alas). That tackle on Cripps was freakin aweosme too. A shame he is not continuing on. Wish him all the best and hope he stays around in some ccapacity to help the indigenous boys.

View attachment 2087338
back during the carltoon dynasty

Congratulations on your retirement Pickett!! Probably one of the best rags to richest stories ever. 1st game was a flag with 3rd BOG and 20 ish games later he gets another one. Won’t see anything like it again.

Obviously the best memory was the goal in the 2019 GF but 1-2 years ago I remember him knocking down a player pretty hard, he went over and looked like he was gonna help him up then shoved him into the ground again. Pissed myself 🤣

2019 VFL Premiership
2019 VFL Best on Ground medal
2019 & 2020 AFL Premiership
90 AFL games, will be 91 after Saturday.

Great contribution to the club.

McIntosh is more serviceable than Pickett by a long way and quietly goes about his role every week - although that is declining fast too.
For the last 2/3 years, Pickett would make 8 critical errors in a row, and then do 1 good piece of play with a hard bump or tackle. At AFL level, it wasn't good enough the last few years and I don't recall getting more frustrated by any other richmond player. The only ones that came close were Aarts and Castagna.

However, given our state, they should both be moved on. We have no need or room for them now and should prioritise Ralphsmith and Banks as the wingmen.

Good luck to Pickett post footy. Was a great story for sure.
How many fall overs and trip overs and out of bounds on the full and turnovers does kmac do during the game ?

He gave us a story to follow and cherish. And celebrated. 2019 will always be linked to MP. Down to earth character who is a tiger legend.

As for father son, wonder if an journalists will ask if he could’ve gone on for 9 more games to allow for this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

id rather retire jack graham than pickett

did you consider it may have been his call?
True he has had a rough personal life since he joined Richmond, multiple family deaths ( his dad recently ), court cases. Maybe he is just exhausted. The fact he got to 91 games was against all odds.

We should be celebrating was he as achieved and not any "what ifs" for father-sons.
They may be soccer stars instead !!

Moronic decision. So we'll keep KMac over this guy. Complete BS

It’s not football manager afl edition. It’s a club full of human emotions and complex interpersonal dynamics. I think those in the club are in a slightly better position than you to make these calls.

I’m feeling so much pride right now. The “dynasty” had to come to an end and I’m enjoying the farewells now then we go again. It’s hard but get a grip. Are you just starting primary school or something you need parental supervision.

Last edited:
The ultimate boys dream come true, came from the clouds to debut in Grand Final and win a premiership then followed it up a year later. Played 20 games at 1 stage for 2 flags. Hope he enjoys retirement knowing he got to achieve the ultimate in footy.

Good luck in retirement Marlion.

Would have loved to see you go on one more year to qualify your boys but some things just aren't meant to be. Got the most out of your ability in the end but sometimes your body tells you it's time.

Thanks for the memories !

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back