Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant believe people are obsessed with a player that will be on $350k in his last year with the experience leaving the club
Dusty , Grimes , Rioli , Bolton , Baker , Graham , Cumberland , Naismith

Pickett gets another year and haters can just hate for another year and continue when Marlions sons are playing in the Yellow & Black

Cant believe people are obsessed with a player that will be on $350k in his last year with the experience leaving the club

Pickett gets another year and haters can just hate for another year and continue when Marlions sons are playing in the Yellow & Black
I thought prison colours were Black & White :blush:

This. If he retired he would probably be replaced hy a rd 6 or 7 pick given how many players are going,especially if future picks are involved in the trades. His experience is useful to have around and he really is the perfect sub able to play lots of positions and help players with advice as they rotate

they need to sign picket we need his kids, he has 3 that all play AFL and 1 is a few years away. pay him overs who cares.
Are they any good lol, We pick players on form not whom their kids are ;)

Kmac will have a great career post footy as a chippy/builder and with so many years in the system he should be set up for life after footy.

Marlion may be the kind of guy who has limited opportunities post footy and has only has had a short career in footy with limited earnings in his first few years.

I understand this wouldn’t be the sole reason for retaining him but Richmond don’t throw their men under the bus as brutally as others.

Give the man 1 more year, get him to 100 games, protect the kids and show them the ropes on how to appreciate the opportunities they have in front of them.

I would love to see Pickett have an opportunity to reach 100 games but in the end I just want to see him used as strong depth. I think he still has plenty to offer and is one of the few in the side who still flys the flag and is a physical presence. This will be both incredible protection for our new young players as they develop into their roles but also a tremendous on-field example of the intensity and pressure required to win games at AFL level.

I would love to see Pickett have an opportunity to reach 100 games but in the end I just want to see him used as strong depth. I think he still has plenty to offer and is one of the few in the side who still flys the flag and is a physical presence. This will be both incredible protection for our new young players as they develop into their roles but also a tremendous on-field example of the intensity and pressure required to win games at AFL level.
He’ll get to 100 games for sure. His kids are dominating junior footy and destined for State teams as soon as they are eligible

Provided he stays out of Jail then a 1 year contract on $350k-$400k is a given and he will get to 100 games
He will provide a hard body and experience to all the kids that will be at the club

Pickett , Broad , McIntosh , Vlastuin , Lynch , Taranto , Hopper are the wise heads that will be required for the next 2-3 years to work through this with some finishing along the way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was against him getting another year, but as we are at a full rebuild stage I don’t mind him staying on. He’s a list clogger now, but could be a handy sub for us. I reckon carry him to a hundred games and then he retires and we go to the msd and try our luck again. His VFL game on Sunday showed the level he’s at, but he may improve with another preseason to get over niggles. He was so slow on the weekend it was pretty sad. 😔.
We still have a lot of experience whether he goes or stays , but we may as well lock in the 100 games for F/S opportunities.
With him , TT , Ross, Hopper , Sonsie and Possibly Kmac, Prestia and Dow still on our list that makes a very slow midfield/ wing combinations . I know we’ll get draftees, but they could be a season away. Personally I think TT and Hopper will get played bc they’ve got deals and Ross must start as he’s the best of a bad bunch. Pickett would have to be sub for ten games imho.

Last edited:

Poor decision , there’s always off cuts or VFL players like Davidson we could pic up , Pickett is gone

Play him this week as sub. That's 1 more game ticked off. Next year, he gets in enough games to get to 100 by mid season then retire. We bring in another player. He gets payed out, and we get access to his kids. We are crazy not to do it... We will be shite next year anyway. Playing Pickett as a sub won't make any difference.

Are they any good lol, We pick players on form not whom their kids are ;)
They're Picketts. They will be good. There's one running around called Kysaiah. Maybe you've heard of him ? Or perhaps one called Byron, he went ok. Won a Norm Smith if I recall.

Imagine potting the selection committee every week then begging for Marlion to be gifted games so the complete fan fiction of all of his kids being star father-sons can come true lol
Imagine in about five years as his kids start coming through being one of those ones whining that we should have played him another half a season when we were on the bottom of the ladder because now he's only played 90 games and we don't get access to them.

Turns the footy over way too much and plays very casually much of the time. Wouldn't be against retaining him as a bigger body in the VFL but should get very limited game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back