Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine in about five years as his kids start coming through being one of those ones whining that we should have played him another half a season when we were on the bottom of the ladder because now he's only played 90 games and we don't get access to them.
This is complete fan fiction.

Kalvin Moore has a son and played 87 games for Richmond. Should we sign him to another contract just in case as well?

Kalvin Moore has a son and played 87 games for Richmond. Should we sign him to another contract just in case as well?
Why not
We're losing alot of experience this year

I believe his father recently passed away so it’s only fair we cut him some slack in that regard.

Yeah, funeral was Held on the 14th

Surprised he played tbh

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does he have a son who kicked 8 goals in 20 minutes in an under-14 game, when he was 12?

Why not
We're losing alot of experience this year
I’m not saying Marlion shouldn't or should be signed on for another year or not, I’m bringing up that it is incredibly hypocritical that people pot the selection committee every week then beg that Marlion be gifted games to get him to 100.

I’m not saying Marlion shouldn't or should be signed on for another year or not, I’m bringing up that it is incredibly hypocritical that people pot the selection committee every week then beg that Marlion be gifted games to get him to 100.
Yep and the same in a few yrs time when Picketts kid goes top 5 in the draft. Lol

Hmmm what a brilliant and relevant comparison.

It's a compelling argument you've put forward.

You could contact the club and suggest it to them.

I'm sure they will be all ears.

No, you said it was a complete fan fiction.

Exactly. It is fan fiction. You’ve never seen any of his kids play a second of football. And yet you already know they’ll make AFL and be a top 5 pick. We are going to miss out if Marlion doesn’t get to 100 games.
I never said they will make AFL or be a top 5 pick so don't put words in my mouth thanks.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp.

If Marlion doesn't play 100 games we don't get access to his kids if they are any good.

Reports over the last couple of years from those around the club that have seen them play juniors are that the oldest lad in particular looks very good. So it would be a wasted opportunity that would have cost us fa and we would have egg all over our faces. Yours would be the size of a 6 egg omelette.

If Marlion plays another 10 games, probably half of them as a super sub or 5th interchange, which may well suit the club if we lose 1000+ games of quality experience and bring in half a dozen skinny 18yo kids, we get first dibs on Marlion's kids if they are draftable. That's the smart play. A big professional club covers these bases and doesn't live to rue the day.

If Marlion's kids turn out to be no good, what have we lost ? 10 games to a dual Premiership player that probably deserves to get to 100 anyway after being played out of position and asked to plug gaps as a third tall forward for the last couple of years.

But hey, you walk away from potentially 3 Pickett boys (his daughter has already qualified to AFLW) who are mad about Richmond and have footy blood in their veins because...I don't know why...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said they will make AFL or be a top 5 pick so don't put words in my mouth thanks.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp.

If Marlion doesn't play 100 games we don't get access to his kids if they are any good.

Reports over the last couple of years from those around the club that have seen them play juniors are that the oldest lad in particular looks very good. So it would be a wasted opportunity that would have cost us fa and we would have egg all over our faces. Yours would be the size of a 6 egg omelette.

If Marlion plays another 10 games, probably half of them as a super sub or 5th interchange, which may well suit the club if we lose 1000+ games of quality experience and bring in half a dozen skinny 18yo kids, we get first dibs on Marlion's kids if they are draftable. That's the smart play. A big professional club covers these bases and doesn't live to rue the day.

If Marlion's kids turn out to be no good, what have we lost ? 10 games to a dual Premiership player that probably deserves to get to 100 anyway after being played out of position and asked to plug gaps as a third tall forward for the last couple of years.

But hey, you walk away from potentially 3 Pickett boys (his daughter has already qualified to AFLW) who are mad about Richmond and have footy blood in their veins because...I don't know why...
We’ll be able to draft his ‘champion’ kid with pick one, as if we keep gifting games to the likes of Pickett, McIntosh, Graham and Short, we’ll be anchored to the bottom for six more years.

The handout culture and protecting legacies culture at Tigerland needs to stop.

Last edited:
We’ll be able to draft his ‘champion’ kid with pick one, as if we keep gifting games to the likes of Pickett, McIntosh, Graham and Short, we’ll be anchored to the bottom for six more years.

The handout culture and protecting legacies culture at Tigerland needs to stop.
I never mentioned Macca, Graham and Short. This is the Marlion Pickett thread. I'm sure it's eating you up inside that we have continued to play those players but that's irrelevant to this discussion.

Won't you look stupid if he does have a champion kid or two. Nobody will remember if MP plays those lost 10 games if his kids aren't AFL level. Every football fan in the country will remember that he played 100 games for Richmond if one of his kids ends up being a star. A Richmond star.

Oh I mean "champion"

Just like you champ.

Cant believe this thread still actually has legs when we have lost

Cotchin , Dusty , Riewoldt , Lambert , Edwards , Grimes and about to lose baker , Bolton , Graham & Rioli

If we dont give pickett another year to play 10 more games that would be the most stupid decision the club has made for the last decade.

We most likely will delist another 5-6 players next year anyway

Mitch Cleary said on his tradies podcast that it is likely Pickett retires
No one at the club talks to Mitch after he kept door stopping Dusty and joined the AFLs hate Richmond crew. Classic when Dusty fresh aired him. One of Dusty's greatest off-field highlights

I never mentioned Macca, Graham and Short. This is the Marlion Pickett thread. I'm sure it's eating you up inside that we have continued to play those players but that's irrelevant to this discussion.

Won't you look stupid if he does have a champion kid or two. Nobody will remember if MP plays those lost 10 games if his kids aren't AFL level. Every football fan in the country will remember that he played 100 games for Richmond if one of his kids ends up being a star. A Richmond star.

Oh I mean "champion"

Just like you champ.
LOL 🤣🤣🤣
It’s actually pathetic the way you are putting the horse two kilometres ahead of the cart.

We desperately need to get a liability to 100 games because his kid might be ok … might.
He’s more Cha CD of being a dud or mediocre or average like most 13 and 14 yo eventually pan out, but we MUST get this bloke to 100.

The minuscule number of father and sons that have made it at Richmond tells you just how much of a pipe dream it is.

If 2024 has told me anything it is … stop pretending we can carry so many injury prone and bit-part players as you soon run out of options.

It’s dumb logic having a bloke on the list that we won’t to gift 7 games as a sub for a pipe dream.

Funny how you laughed at the bloke who suggested we get Kelvin Moore back so we can get access to his kid, but can’t see the lunacy in gifting games to someone else!

No wonder we are where we are at, thinking 10 or 12 blokes only need to be a sub or play seven games a year!

What a mentality!

Cant believe this thread still actually has legs when we have lost

Cotchin , Dusty , Riewoldt , Lambert , Edwards , Grimes and about to lose baker , Bolton , Graham & Rioli

If we dont give pickett another year to play 10 more games that would be the most stupid decision the club has made for the last decade.

We most likely will delist another 5-6 players next year anyway
We’ve lost Bartlett, Bourke, Hart, Sheedy and Balme too.

But let the Richmond Benevolence Society roll on.

Let’s gift games 👍

We’ve lost Bartlett, Bourke, Hart, Sheedy and Balme too.

But let the Richmond Benevolence Society roll on.

Let’s gift games 👍
Yes we have gifted enough games in the past like all other clubs

You will struggle to find 23 players to make up a team without 'gifts' in 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back