Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said they will make AFL or be a top 5 pick so don't put words in my mouth thanks.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp.

If Marlion doesn't play 100 games we don't get access to his kids if they are any good.

Reports over the last couple of years from those around the club that have seen them play juniors are that the oldest lad in particular looks very good. So it would be a wasted opportunity that would have cost us fa and we would have egg all over our faces. Yours would be the size of a 6 egg omelette.

If Marlion plays another 10 games, probably half of them as a super sub or 5th interchange, which may well suit the club if we lose 1000+ games of quality experience and bring in half a dozen skinny 18yo kids, we get first dibs on Marlion's kids if they are draftable. That's the smart play. A big professional club covers these bases and doesn't live to rue the day.

If Marlion's kids turn out to be no good, what have we lost ? 10 games to a dual Premiership player that probably deserves to get to 100 anyway after being played out of position and asked to plug gaps as a third tall forward for the last couple of years.

But hey, you walk away from potentially 3 Pickett boys (his daughter has already qualified to AFLW) who are mad about Richmond and have footy blood in their veins because...I don't know why...

What people fail to grasp is it’s not like we don’t draft somebody else instead of Pickett’s kids (if they make the grade). And with discounts being reduced to 10% and not being able to use picks beyond 54, matching bids won’t be anywhere near as cheap and easy as it used to be.

So if ‘young’ Pickett gets taken at pick-15 for example, we would’ve had to use let’s say pick-20 to match the bid. Or picks 35 and 39.

So it’s an absolute lottery as to whether whomever we take at pick 20 ends up better-worse than Pickett. Or whether the 2 x players taken at 35 and 39 are better than Pickett.

So it would be absolutely stupid to re-contract Pickett just for father/son benefits. He’s been pretty average for a couple of years, he’s getting old and he’s facing criminal charges. Given where we are at it’s an absolute no-brainer for him to retire. If it was a 50/50 call then sure, maybe the father/son argument makes it 51-49. But it’s a 95/5 call so he needs to retire.

This means our 4 x oldest players are off the list (Martin, Grimes, Naismith, Pickett), and with all the kids we draft will have us as one of the youngest lists in 2025 - this is what we need to do. (I’d strongly encourage McIntosh into retirement also).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I never said they will make AFL or be a top 5 pick so don't put words in my mouth thanks.

It's not that hard a concept to grasp.

If Marlion doesn't play 100 games we don't get access to his kids if they are any good.

Reports over the last couple of years from those around the club that have seen them play juniors are that the oldest lad in particular looks very good. So it would be a wasted opportunity that would have cost us fa and we would have egg all over our faces. Yours would be the size of a 6 egg omelette.

If Marlion plays another 10 games, probably half of them as a super sub or 5th interchange, which may well suit the club if we lose 1000+ games of quality experience and bring in half a dozen skinny 18yo kids, we get first dibs on Marlion's kids if they are draftable. That's the smart play. A big professional club covers these bases and doesn't live to rue the day.

If Marlion's kids turn out to be no good, what have we lost ? 10 games to a dual Premiership player that probably deserves to get to 100 anyway after being played out of position and asked to plug gaps as a third tall forward for the last couple of years.

But hey, you walk away from potentially 3 Pickett boys (his daughter has already qualified to AFLW) who are mad about Richmond and have footy blood in their veins because...I don't know why...

IMG_0392.jpeg

What people fail to grasp is it’s not like we don’t draft somebody else instead of Pickett’s kids (if they make the grade). And with discounts being reduced to 10% and not being able to use picks beyond 54, matching bids won’t be anywhere near as cheap and easy as it used to be.

So if ‘young’ Pickett gets taken at pick-15 for example, we would’ve had to use let’s say pick-20 to match the bid. Or picks 35 and 39.

So it’s an absolute lottery as to whether whomever we take at pick 20 ends up better-worse than Pickett. Or whether the 2 x players taken at 35 and 39 are better than Pickett.

So it would be absolutely stupid to re-contract Pickett just for father/son benefits. He’s been pretty average for a couple of years, he’s getting old and he’s facing criminal charges. Given where we are at it’s an absolute no-brainer for him to retire. If it was a 50/50 call then sure, maybe the father/son argument makes it 51-49. But it’s a 95/5 call so he needs to retire.

This means our 4 x oldest players are off the list (Martin, Grimes, Naismith, Pickett), and with all the kids we draft will have us as one of the youngest lists in 2025 - this is what we need to do. (I’d strongly encourage McIntosh into retirement also).

Nicely spoken.

Right now we look like having our list gutted of mature players. On that alone I would keep Marlion. Tough guy with a great attitude, who can play in multiple spots to fill holes. Perfect for the next couple of years.

Get him to 100 is a bonus right now.

We need to protect the kids we will be bringing in. Marlion can play inside and outside mid, tag, and forward. Perfect for our needs in the next couple of years.

LOL 🤣🤣🤣
It’s actually pathetic the way you are putting the horse two kilometres ahead of the cart.

We desperately need to get a liability to 100 games because his kid might be ok … might.
He’s more Cha CD of being a dud or mediocre or average like most 13 and 14 yo eventually pan out, but we MUST get this bloke to 100.

The minuscule number of father and sons that have made it at Richmond tells you just how much of a pipe dream it is.

If 2024 has told me anything it is … stop pretending we can carry so many injury prone and bit-part players as you soon run out of options.

It’s dumb logic having a bloke on the list that we won’t to gift 7 games as a sub for a pipe dream.

Funny how you laughed at the bloke who suggested we get Kelvin Moore back so we can get access to his kid, but can’t see the lunacy in gifting games to someone else!

No wonder we are where we are at, thinking 10 or 12 blokes only need to be a sub or play seven games a year!

What a mentality!
Mentality ! Lol

Imagine the mentality of letting possibly the next Kozzie or Byron Pickett play for North or St Kilda or someone else because you begrudged a two time Richmond premiership warrior getting to 100 games. Especially when we've bottomed out.

Dumb logic was the pathetic Kelvin Moore scenario. I can't believe you even gave that creedence. I ignored it because it was ridiculous, a bit like your attitude.

We are losing more than a thousand games experience, we will be flooded with kids and the only ONLY bloke in the team that has a red hot dip, is aggressive and will make these babies walk taller is MP.

You keep playing fantasy football trades with your team. I will keep my feet on the ground and think logically. The concept seems to have escaped you.

There are some benefits to having father/son-father/daughter rights you haven't listed there in your post.

1. Beyond the discount, the right to match itself is a benefit. So for an extreme example one of the kids is a Harley Reid level jet, and an obvious pick 1. You get to match a pick 1 bid for him with say picks 8, 26, 44. There are less extreme examples of this, so let's say one of the kids is an obvious top 10 pick but lower down, and a bid comes at pick 6. We own pick 8. We trade pick 8 for picks 14 & 19, which we use to match and get 550 points change added to our next pick, 26, elevating it to pick 13. So effectively with picks 8 & 26 we get the 6th best player in the draft and the 13th best player in the draft. The point here is no matter what the system is, there will be substantial benefits to just having the right to match a player. Think also of the Josh Daicos-Maurice Rioli scenario where you can match with a near worthless pick.

2. There is the potential intangible benefit to the club of having kids of past players play for the club. They are going to already be connected to the club prior to being drafted - Daicos was training with Collingwood for a number of years prior to being drafted I believe. And as we see with Maurice Rioli for example, the kid's connection to the club is much deeper than if he was just a random draftee.

3. Then there are cases like David Darcy-Luke Darcy-Sam Darcy where it carries on into a 3rd generation. Had David Darcy not played 100 games for the Bulldogs, the club would not have had the right to either his son, nor most likely his grandson.

If Marlion Pickett was on 65 games now, then it would be silly to consider getting him to 100 games on the off chance of father-son privileges occurring in the future. Given he is 10 games away, is an experienced and tough player who sets a great example, is at least a fringe AFL player on our list on merit, and we are about to strip our list, the club's position should be much more tilted towards retaining Marlion Pickett, obviously unless he elects to retire. And yes, get him to 100 games if we can(only if he is anywhere near warranting selection, which he should be.) The benefits of this are a half decent chance to be substantial.

Finishing up on the weekend.

Was hoping he could get to 100 games and help protect our kids next year but for one reason or another it wasn’t meant to be.

X2 time premiership hero and has the dream debut under his belt that we all slept at night wishing for as kids.

All the best in retirement Marlion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that sucks. I love the way Pickett plays and was hoping he would stay around to help protect the kids next year. I hope he wasn’t forced out.

All the best Marlion and thank you 🐯
I thought I heard the club would have kept him on but it was Marlion that was ready to call time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back