5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate that is everyone.

Remember how big a deal it was when SA won in Australia in 2008? It had been 16 years since any visiting team won in Australia. All other results aside it was a proud record. That it took two freak performances from SA to break that run of results made it an even bigger deal.

Being undefeated against one particular side over a long period is nowhere near as big an effort but it is still a source of pride and considering it’s from 2-0 down why wouldn’t there be a level of desire to preserve that record?

I’ve heard some bizarre analysis of this series but accusing a side of being head-f***ed because they don’t want to give up 22 years of success or parity at home seems particularly so.

England are going to have to wait more than 10 years to win an Ashes series - indeed we have held that precious urn since 2017 - in all likelihood, will retain them again in a canter 2.5 years from now. They can keep their 'undefeated' record since 2001, in a series held every 4 years in England.

The only bizarre analysis i have heard is commentators trying to make a case for an English moral victory - all that counts is who will be lifting that urn come the end of this match.

AUSSIE PRIDE!

The players will be shattered. Personally i'm ok with retaining the Ashes as I'd be ******* gutted if we lost them
Feels a bit hollow. It's ammunition against a pom but in reality no Aussie should actually be happy with this series

Replacing KP with Mark Butcher for the last two tests is up there with Marnus replacing Smith in 2019 for surprisingly positive outcomes.

Ben Stokes and England thought they should have kept their review when Smith was given not out when the ball hit his glove but Stokes dropped the catch. There are 3 reasons why a team can keep their review if the original decision is upheld: umpire's call for LBW's, front foot no balls or failure of technology. None of those 3 are relevant for that English referral just before lunch so it was right that England lost their review.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

England are going to have to wait more than 10 years to win an Ashes series - indeed we have held that precious urn since 2017 - in all likelihood, will retain them again in a canter 2.5 years from now. They can keep their 'undefeated' record since 2001, in a series held every 4 years in England.

The only bizarre analysis i have heard is commentators trying to make a case for an English moral victory - all that counts is who will be lifting that urn come the end of this match.

AUSSIE PRIDE!

Couldn’t be more pleased for you. Doesn’t change that they haven’t lost an Ashes series at home for 22 years and it’s a record they will be desperate to preserve

Remove this Banner Ad

5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Back