Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still reckon as chf he gets stuck in the mindset of being on a man, as a ruck maybe you get more chances to get lost in the play and find ball in the spaces
Disagree but oh well.

Still learning, it's a shitty thing to say but he has to learn to count on us not moving the ball quickly.

He's all bright eyed and bushy tailed (and doing exactly what he should do to be perfectly honest) and taking off like a bullet out of a gun when he sees us with the opportunity to move the ball quickly out of the back half, but we never do, and he's left in no man's land for the rest of the possession, because he's not yet aerobically able to make a 60 metre lead up and then make a 70 metre lead back.

He rarely leads up towards the football, always wants it kicked in high. There were at least 5 times today where he needed to lead at the ball carrier, but instead, he stayed out the back and waved for the kicker to lob it in. A couple of times they kicked to him, a couple they went elsewhere, one there was no kick on and the ball carrier got run down. On tv, that looks like poor delivery, but it's caused by the forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still think the tendency is to look at what Daniher does not do instead of what he does do.

Just started the second quarter, he is leading at the ball in among three North players, he jumps at it gets a huge ride, almost take a spectacular mark but he ends up hitting the ground pretty hard and the ball spills free. A second or two later the ball is on the way out but not before Daniher lunges across the North player in possession, almost smothering the kick.

There is only so much that he can do until he builds his aerobic capacity but there are plenty of examples of him chasing genuinely fast players out of defence (like McVeigh last week) or his recovery from marking contests which demonstrate what I think his work rate really is - it's excellent.

Last edited:
After watching Lloyd slot that goal after the siren to win the game for Richmond, and seeing him in the post match interview saying he always knew it was going through - it got me to thinking, some people want that moment, some dont.

a guy like Trav cloke - youd never wish it upon him, even at the top of the goal square :p

it might sound funny but i reckon Joe wants this moment, and he has one of these in him, its in his destiny. For all his kicking yips/flaws i reckon he has it in him to be the man to kick a difficult pressure goal when we need it most. Forget about the misses when they dont matter, he has generally kicked the ones we need late in games over his career.

I reckon he wants the moment, its a gut feel from me - big time Joe.

After watching Lloyd slot that goal after the siren to win the game for Richmond, and seeing him in the post match interview saying he always knew it was going through - it got me to thinking, some people want that moment, some dont.

a guy like Trav cloke - youd never wish it upon him, even at the top of the goal square :p

it might sound funny but i reckon Joe wants this moment, and he has one of these in him, its in his destiny. For all his kicking yips/flaws i reckon he has it in him to be the man to kick a difficult pressure goal when we need it most. Forget about the misses when they dont matter, he has generally kicked the ones we need late in games over his career.

They all matter, a couple of misses during the game could be the difference in a shot after the siren for the win or for a loss to get within 11points.

Having said that he still always wants the ball in his hands which is a good sign. As long as his goal kicking improves along with the improvement of the whole team.

Still think the tendency is to look at what Daniher does not do instead of what he does do.

Just started the second quarter, he is leading at the ball in among three North players, he jumps at it gets a huge ride, almost take a spectacular mark but he ends up hitting the ground pretty hard and the ball spills free. A second or two later the ball is on the way out but not before Daniher lunges across the North player in possession, almost smothering the kick.

There is only so much that he can do until he builds his aerobic capacity but there are plenty of examples of him chasing genuinely fast players out of defence (like McVeigh last week) or his recovery from marking contests which demonstrate what I think his work rate really is - it's excellent.
great post Bruno. Really good point. Yes there's things he could do better, but he's being triple teamed every damn week, and he is working through it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another positive was him taking it upon himself to slot that shot from 50 in the last quarter. Had options everywhere, but wanted the ball in his hands and nailed it, never really looked like missing either.

Joe Daniher 55 Games 72 Goals 294 Marks
Travis Cloke 55 Games 55 Goals 302 Marks
Jarred Roughead 58 Games 58 Goals 245 Marks
Lance Franklin 56 Games 125 Goals 250 Marks
Tom Lynch 60 Games 81 Goals 314 Marks
Charlie Dixon 49 Games 53 Goals 144 Marks
Jay Schulz 49 Games 45 Goals 158 Marks
Jeremy Cameron 51 Games 120 Goals 240 Marks
Johnathan Patton 38 Games 43 Goals 165 Marks
Jack Reiwoldt 46 Games 57 Goals 190 Marks

Joe Daniher is ahead of every player on this list except for the two freaks in Franklin and Cameron.

We have got a great forward on our hands and he will be a superstar so just keep playing him and leave him alone. Supporters are way to impatient he is 22.

Just another positive was him taking it upon himself to slot that shot from 50 in the last quarter. Had options everywhere, but wanted the ball in his hands and nailed it, never really looked like missing either.

thats the point i was aiming at above, hes the man for the moment - one of these days itll be after a siren

Joe Daniher 55 Games 72 Goals 294 Marks
Travis Cloke 55 Games 55 Goals 302 Marks
Jarred Roughead 58 Games 58 Goals 245 Marks
Lance Franklin 56 Games 125 Goals 250 Marks
Tom Lynch 60 Games 81 Goals 314 Marks
Charlie Dixon 49 Games 53 Goals 144 Marks
Jay Schulz 49 Games 45 Goals 158 Marks
Jeremy Cameron 51 Games 120 Goals 240 Marks
Johnathan Patton 38 Games 43 Goals 165 Marks
Jack Reiwoldt 46 Games 57 Goals 190 Marks

Joe Daniher is ahead of every player on this list except for the two freaks in Franklin and Cameron.

We have got a great forward on our hands and he will be a superstar so just keep playing him and leave him alone. Supporters are way to impatient he is 22.

John Coleman 56 games - 295 goals...and was just getting warmed up.

ill expect nothing less!

His field kicking is generally really good too.

His kicking is great, the only issue is the amount he telegraphs his intentions with his wind up, very easy to smother.

That's the best part about Joey, He still wants the ball, He's not scared of failing he'll always have another crack.

Bloody love the Daniher family!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back