Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

It would feel like a big shift in terms of his personal direction, wouldn’t want to force it on him unless he really truly wants it.

We have guys like Jy & Larkey who are probably the best 2 candidates on our list currently in terms of onfield leadership and media performers.

And then the obvious candidate of Sheez but I hope we let him just football for a few more years first.
Yeah he'd have to want it, but it seems so obvious now when he's up about he's leading this team on field.

Well sheez is already locked away until nearly 2030, but yes every year counts in cap management. The club would love to increase LDU’s salary for next year to smooth out what Will obviously be a monster contract
Sheezel locking in long term like that helps us so much, it under estimated. We can front load the shit out of it and allows for far better list management going forward.
If we can get long term deals done for LDU and Wardlaw it helps us make the best choices in building a list to win flags. Which obviously helps them as well.

Has to be captain next year, he's ready. Maybe he isn't the most talkative bloke, i dont know, but on field he's oozing leadership.
No he doesn’t. He’s not even in the leadership group. He’s publicly said he wants to concentrate on his footy before he takes on a leadership role, by his own admission he’s not ready.

It would feel like a big shift in terms of his personal direction, wouldn’t want to force it on him unless he really truly wants it.

We have guys like Jy & Larkey who are probably the best 2 candidates on our list currently in terms of onfield leadership and media performers.

And then the obvious candidate of Sheez but I hope we let him just football for a few more years first.
Finally some common sense, what is it with every other poster on here thinking that Best Player = Captain.

No he doesn’t. He’s not even in the leadership group. He’s publicly said he wants to concentrate on his footy before he takes on a leadership role, by his own admission he’s not ready.
That doesn't mean he not ready next year. On field he sure as hell looks ready particularly since the bye.
Btw it should go without saying you don't give it to someone who doesn't want it.
But there no doubt in my mind, at the very least on field he's leading this team now.

Finally some common sense, what is it with every other poster on here thinking that Best Player = Captain.
Its not about being the best player at all. Age and maturity matter, having earned it and being able to inspire the team when its needed. LDU has all of that now.
Maybe he doesnt think so, or would prefer to wait another year until ink is dried. Thats fine, but again its clear to everyone whos leading the team on field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Larkey.
I think Nick might be our new Captain if we change. Hoping LDU is our Dustin Martin who from memory has never been the Captain type but led by example on field. If he ends his career with half the accolades of Dustin we have done well. 1.5 Norm Smiths wins one and shares another with Sheezel. Half a Brownlow loses on countback in typical North fashion and 1.5 Premierships will round it off to 2 .

Its not about being the best player at all. Age and maturity matter, having earned it and being able to inspire the team when its needed. LDU has all of that now.
Maybe he doesnt think so, or would prefer to wait another year until ink is dried. Thats fine, but again its clear to everyone whos leading the team on field.
It’s clear to most people that there is more than one player giving their all and leading this team. They won’t all be captain or want to be. Same as in every good team.

It’s clear to most people that there is more than one player giving their all and leading this team. They won’t all be captain or want to be. Same as in every good team.
Its clear most teams go with a player who can inspire, lift their team and break games open when its really needed. You know, those intangible traits Carey had even though everyone else was trying equally as hard.

But hey we can stay with McDonald, nobody questions he's not giving his all.

Its clear most teams go with a player who can inspire, lift their team and break games open when its really needed. You know, those intangible traits Carey had even though everyone else was trying equally as hard.

But hey we can stay with McDonald, nobody questions he's not giving his all.
Weird take. Like most people, I think of Jy as the captain and forget McDonald is in it.

You are describing LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw and Larkey who would all be worthy successors to Jy if they decide to make a change and if they wanted the captaincy. At the moment I can’t see any reason to strip Jy, just give him the job solo.

And again, every good team has had a bunch of players who are/were good enough to turn games, and only one of them in each team has been the captain.

I travelled to WA for the Eagles game, flight got in after 5pm on Friday so I missed the Q&A they did.

Spoke to a few blokes who were there and said they told Viney the club must do whatever it can to keep LDU and he said yes, they will do everything in their power to keep him. He’s too vital.

At this stage it’s LDUs decision. I don’t see him as a person who would hunt for more cash, but more so more success but I really hope the last few weeks have given him the belief that we are on our way up

Weird take. Like most people, I think of Jy as the captain and forget McDonald is in it.

You are describing LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw and Larkey who would all be worthy successors to Jy if they decide to make a change and if they wanted the captaincy. At the moment I can’t see any reason to strip Jy, just give him the job solo.

And again, every good team has had a bunch of players who are/were good enough to turn games, and only one of them in each team has been the captain.
I never expect every one to agree with me, so dont get me wrong i respect your POV and always take valid points onboard.

Im glad to see you at least acknowledge there are on field traits the lift certain players into that leadership category. It wouldn't be right for me either to dismiss various other leadership roles players have without being C or VC. Every teams has those 1-3 wiser heads playing forward or back that get those around them in order.

Sheezel, Wardlaw - agree got it, but too young. Not earnt yet and they've plenty of time to lead later on.

Larkey- very good player just not sure he's at that level thb. He's very workman like, uses his smarts more than any mercurial talent. Can fall into the trap of looking for the ball out back instead of playing like a true key forward, although.....he's been way better in the last 12 months.

Simpkin- fantastic when fit, but again not quite the game breaker LDU is but work ethic is second to none and m more than happy for him to be solo captain. A positive for him, (as i see it) is his half forward stint seems to have had him focus on goal kicking more. All of a sudden he's far more dangerous around goal than we had been in the past. A mid that can impact the scoreboard is massive points. But how long can he stay in there with the concussion count? Is it even healthy for him to be playing high mid field minutes? Yes, he's a great choice.

Then theres LDU who is the general in the middle, burst out of packs and makes shit happen. He like Simpkin is starting to look more comfortable kicking at goal. To me we're looking at player whos about to go next level into the very top cream of the comp. A big part is his lift in the 1%ers too, i dont have the stats but defensively he seems to be working harder.

But for me theres also a factor (not sure what to call it exactly but hopefully you get my drift), in almost a change of the guard statement. Where our younger players are taking more control of our on field success as we're starting to see, which would have to include LDU making a long term commitment to the club. Without that commitment i totally agree, we cant make him captain but i hope people would've assumed that only logical and didn't really need saying.

That doesn't mean he not ready next year. On field he sure as hell looks ready particularly since the bye.
Btw it should go without saying you don't give it to someone who doesn't want it.
But there no doubt in my mind, at the very least on field he's leading this team now.
You're still not getting it, he'll be ready for the a leadership role if / when he says he's ready not when everyone else thinks he's ready.

The reality is it took LDU a while to get going this year, it's only these last 4 - 6 weeks where he's really hit his stride and is playing his best footy. That may have played out very differently if he had the added responsibility of being a leader, it's not for everyone.

I agree he looks very comfortable as a leader on field now, if that evolves to being a leader off field then great, if not it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
Well , well , well and some people said this bloke wasn’t that good. As the midfield baton starts to change hands in the competition LDU will be a dominant player. Pretty obvious to say our number 1 priority.
driving u turn GIF

You're still not getting it, he'll be ready for the a leadership role if / when he says he's ready not when everyone else thinks he's ready.

The reality is it took LDU a while to get going this year, it's only these last 4 - 6 weeks where he's really hit his stride and is playing his best footy. That may have played out very differently if he had the added responsibility of being a leader, it's not for everyone.

I agree he looks very comfortable as a leader on field now, if that evolves to being a leader off field then great, of not it's not a big deal.
Wait, so when i said obviously he'd have to want it, means "i dont get it" that he'd have to want it?

I dont even know why id even need to say such a thing anyway. Seriously people think im suggesting FORCING the captaincy upon him? Thats some pretty FK up logic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Back