Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

LDU and the only human to ever grace this planet that’s won THREE Norm Smith Medals in the same conversation is like having Jarad Waite and Wayne Carey in the same conversation..

Far out, Brussel Sprout.. wow wee..
Ackshully LDU is the same age Dusty was in 2015 and at that point their stats at least are kind of similar. If LDU wins a Brownlow and his first Norm Smith in 2026 he'll be on the same track as Dusty.

Dusty was kicking 25-30 goals a season even before the Brownlow year. I suspect people would be less critical of LDU's defensive work if he was a consistent scoreboard threat.
He did it twice before that season. He still kicked alot more goals than LDU, played alot more games too. He averaged 20+ games a season until 2021. He played more games in four seasons than LDU played in 6. Right now LDU is about where dusty was in 2013/14 in terms of matches played.

He did it twice before that season. He still kicked alot more goals than LDU, played alot more games too. He averaged 20+ games a season until 2021. He played more games in four seasons than LDU played in 6. Right now LDU is about where dusty was in 2013/14 in terms of matches played.

Are you being literal and excluding the seasons he kicked 23, 23 and 24?

Either way he always had the ability to go forward which LDU doesn't. No one really highlights the lack of two way running in guys like Dusty, Damgerfield, Petracca, Bont etc because they can win you a game up forward. LDU has never shown that ability.

Are you being literal and excluding the seasons he kicked 23, 23 and 24?

Yes. Obviously.

Either way he always had the ability to go forward which LDU doesn't. No one really highlights the lack of two way running in guys like Dusty, Damgerfield, Petracca, Bont etc because they can win you a game up forward. LDU has never shown that ability.

How often has he played up forward? The only time I can remember is under Noble when our game plan was to not kick it into the forward line.

LDU gets the ball alot more than Martin at the same point in their careers, pushes back alot more and does alot more defending than Martin.

Martin is a more accurate kick, is slightly faster and stronger in the upper body, while LDUs core strength is pretty high, probably from all that surfing he's done. Martin was hard to tackle because of his ability to fend and position himself so that he could fend, (probably cos his biker dad taught him how to fight from a very young age,) LDU is hard to tackle because of his core strength and his ability to move and keep moving, especially spinning while players try and fail to keep hold of him, probably because he does alot of surfing.

Dangerfield is another surfer and another player who is hard to tackle without being big on fend offs.

Ackshully LDU is the same age Dusty was in 2015 and at that point their stats at least are kind of similar. If LDU wins a Brownlow and his first Norm Smith in 2026 he'll be on the same track as Dusty.
Come on bro, no human that's ever lived has won three flags and has been BOG - every one of those games.. our boy hasn't even won a Syd Barker.

If LDU can win two, let alone three NSM's (for our club) I'll mortgage the house and buy every Bigfooty NM supporter a Premiership Club membership.

LDU's a bloody good footballer but he's not in the same stratosphere as DM.

Usually when we say A grader, they are in their prime.

We won't get any in normally of course, but if there those on their last chances...then perhaps we may snatch one.

So let's break this post down. We're going to trade LDU for a top 4 pick, then use that pick to get an A grader "on their last chance"?

For starters, "A Graders" don't find themselves "on their last chance" because they are A Graders. Especially ones who are "in their prime".

The only example I can think of in such a rare set of circumstances is Clayton Oliver. This just goes to show that to get the player you are suggesting, they have to come with some pretty significant flaws and baggage that you don't really want to be having to deal with when you are trying to develop a young, impressionable team of kids.

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did but you may not like it..

"And the winner of the Norm Smith Medal is Luke Davis(sic) Uniacki(sic) ...

..of the Collingwood Football Club"
Go Away GIF

Come on bro, no human that's ever lived has won three flags and has been BOG - every one of those games.. our boy hasn't even won a Syd Barker.

If LDU can win two, let alone three NSM's (for our club) I'll mortgage the house and buy every Bigfooty NM supporter a Premiership Club membership.

LDU's a bloody good footballer but he's not in the same stratosphere as DM.
Not yet but think about the same point in their careers ... so in 2014 or 2015 would you have picked Martin to win three NSMs in three flag winning sides in the next five or six years?

I don't think anyone would have. And Luke probably won't but not completely out of the realms of possibility.

Not yet but think about the same point in their careers ... so in 2014 or 2015 would you have picked Martin to win three NSMs in three flag winning sides in the next five or six years?

I don't think anyone would have. And Luke probably won't but not completely out of the realms of possibility.
I remember reading not long into Martin’s career people saying he would be the best player ever after after Leigh Matthews, and thinking it was ridiculous hyperbole, but he justified it pretty quickly.

That’s just a reflection on timing - that he was rated super high when he was still pretty young. The footy media is still ludicrous, I think they’ve named both N Daicos and H Reid as the best young players ever within about three weeks.

This was the season where players in the 23-26 aged bracket were supposed to step up

We’ve seen ldu fight amicably. Powell step, Comben exceed expectations. And that’s probably it.
Fisher has probably delivered on his part.

We’ve seen sweet f all from:

Larkey
Zuurhar
Phillips
Stephenson
Ford
Scott
Jy (fine, consider his injuries but I don’t think it changes much with him)
Tucker

Mckercher, Wardlaw and Sheezel along with Comben, LDU and Powell are attempting to do all the heavy lifting + Paul Curtis is trying.

Bizarre pre-season.

This was the season where players in the 23-26 aged bracket were supposed to step up

We’ve seen ldu fight amicably. Powell step, Comben exceed expectations. And that’s probably it.
Fisher has probably delivered on his part.

We’ve seen sweet f all from:

Larkey
Zuurhar
Phillips
Stephenson
Ford
Scott
Jy (fine, consider his injuries but I don’t think it changes much with him)
Tucker

Mckercher, Wardlaw and Sheezel along with Comben, LDU and Powell are attempting to do all the heavy lifting + Paul Curtis is trying.

Bizarre pre-season.

Regressed

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Back