'Acknowledgement of Country' in the workplace

Remove this Banner Ad

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
My work has begun doing an 'Acknowledgment of Country' at the beginning of every Zoom/Webex meeting we have, which I applaud and think is a wonderful idea.

I am curious to know if others do the same thing at their workplace

My work has begun doing an 'Acknowledgment of Country' at the beginning of every Zoom/Webex meeting we have, which I applaud and think is a wonderful idea.

I am curious to know if others do the same thing at their workplace

i see no issue with it. have attended meetings and its well received by all.
it doesnt affect the meetings or the production of the team members. good thing for mine

I would love to see how companies respond, if they were asked to pick up the tab for property rights damage in favour of indigenous groups.

That will be the ultimate test of whether it is lip service or a bona fide ownership of the past.

No I think it's wrong to have it enforced anywhere, and really don't understand what the point is. We're all aware that indigenous people were here for 40,000 years before anyone else.

If the point is that they are a disenfranchised group then I am sympathetic to that, but that can be addressed without performing this acknowledgement of Country . So again I don't see the point or the necessity of it.

Last edited:
My former workplace used to do it religiously at the start of every meeting about six years ago but in the last couple of years, it had pretty well stopped as it was perceived as meaningless and a waste of time (unlike the money and training we actually put into regional communities. When it did happen, most people would just ignore it and continue to prepare for the meeting etc.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would love to see how companies respond, if they were asked to pick up the tab for property rights damage in favour of indigenous groups.

That will be the ultimate test of whether it is lip service or a bona fide ownership of the past.

This is what it is let's be honest, I see it as kind of like your "pass to transact" in today's business world. That said i don't have a problem with it per se, but the reasons behind it I question.

No I think it's wrong to have it enforced anywhere, and really don't understand what the point is. We're all aware that indigenous people were here for 40,000 years before anyone else.

If the point is that they are a disenfranchised group then I am sympathetic to that, but that can be addressed without performing this Welcome to Country ceremony. So again I don't see the point or the necessity of it.
Welcome to Country is not the same thing as an Acknowledgement of Country Podgey

The problem is the more widespread it is the more people will jump on the bandwagon, will get to a point if you don't do it you don't care about Indigenous people

Like all the professional sports people taking a knee before games for Black Lives Matter, anyone that refused to do it was automatically called a racist.

Like all the professional sports people taking a knee before games for Black Lives Matter, anyone that refused to do it was automatically called a racist.
Some people had to be bribed or threatened to do it, didn't they Quinton? I detest the symbolism and the subsequent labelling and villifying if someone chooses not to participate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its such a waste of time. Why before every meeting? Why not once Monday and covers for the week? I have 4-6 meetings a day, everyone knows its a tick box exercise that achieves nothing but no one is allowed to say it. You can see no one even listens during it. Whats it achieve? Pointless.

Its offensive also

i wonder what the options are though if it becomes too much? Quit/resign from the job?

im guessing somewhere between just ignore it and get on with your job or :
FallingDown.jpg

It's a good thing when it's genuine but I feel it will get to the point where it is like people in church reciting a prayer they know off by heart because they've said it so often but they don't stop to think about what any of it means.

I would prefer say an annual activity or retreat or something where the workplace sets aside a decent amount of time to listen to elders, connect with the land, learn about the people and get a real appreciation for what that all means, or at least try to.

Otherwise what's the point?

What do they say: "We recognise the traditional owners of this fiber or copper network?"

We recognise the traditional owners of this substandard overpriced NBN internet speed

Remove this Banner Ad

'Acknowledgement of Country' in the workplace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back