Remove this Banner Ad

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Has anyone else noticed this?

The average Australian male in advertisements now seems to be a fat, beardy loser. Especially noticeable in beer, insurance and betting ads.

Is this just who we are now? What’s the thinking behind it?

The average Australian male in advertisements now seems to be a fat, beardy loser. Especially noticeable in beer, insurance and betting ads.

Makes the new Australian feel part of the fabric of the country.
Ubiquitous to all commercials.
Fat boy
Red Head
Spring Head.
Gay person
African person.
Freckles.
Fat Aussie.

Last edited:

OIP.iqZQnWuXyvp0UVg7UsjzxQHaEK

Got a gut? Shake it off

Can't confirm the loser part, but fat and (terrible) beardy is a lock

Well most guys in Australia are overweight so it probably represents the average guy.
In 2017–18, 2 in 3 (67%) Australians aged 18 and over were overweight or obese (36% were overweight but not obese, and 31% were obese). That’s around 12.5 million adults.

Men had higher rates of overweight and obesity than women (75% of men and 60% of women), and higher rates of obesity (33% of men and 30% of women).

Not just the average guy, the overwhelming majority of men. I would say surely since the pandemic, that is probably close to 80% now.

I think that's all true but it's curious that advertising used to be aspirational - "do this and look like this".

Now, it's "bet with us and yes, you too can be a fat, beardy loser hanging round with your equally lower mates in your 30s".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've just gone through Christmas. It was the time of year for fat guys with beards. But, joking aside, I really haven't noticed it. They have all kinds of people in ads, they don't all have to be models. Get a life.

Really?

Someone makes an observation and you tell them to "get a life"?

I know from my own experience from when I was last in Australia (summer 18/19) I was surprised how many fat people there were around, it seemed everyone was either fat, or roided up. Also of note was how sweet the food was, from prepackaged supermarket salads, to restaurant meals.

You sure this wasn't California you're referring to

As pointed out target audience, and possibly also partly because the fat beardy loser is a less threatening and safe image to be associated with and not symbolic of toxic masculinity that society is so obsessed with denouncing atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV Advertising: Fat, beardy losers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back