AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Fiery Hawk said:
The game was always intended to be a title in that price range.

The extra awards associated with AFL football were sacrificed in favour of concentration on gameplay with our limited development time. It was a case of getting the core right before adding the fluff. In 2007 we'll be adding the special awards and fleshing out the AFL experience more.

Sorry Fiery Hawk but that sounds like you are saying - "The game wasn't ever meant to be any good"
It's like saying 'We think it's ok to make a **** movie, as long as we make another one after it"

Thus damaging our reputation for making AFL games even more and lowering the trust of the gaming public even more (if that's even possible)

Quite the opposite actually. It's meant to suggest that we identified the major areas of concern and made it our focus to get them right in the time allotted to us. Our goal is to take the game in the right direction and to involve as many of you out there as possible in making a game that you want.

Play the game when it comes out and tell me what you think. Just try it first. You'll see that the game is getting better...no more versions like 2005 on the horizon.

With regards to the pricing....we (IR Gurus) have nothing to do with that. If Sony want to charge that much then they will. What I was trying to say is that from day one that was the price range but it in no way influenced our effort on the game and is in no way reflective of the quality of the game.

Like I said above - just play the game and help us to make the next one even better. That's our goal.

Fiery Hawk said:
With regards to the pricing....we (IR Gurus) have nothing to do with that. If Sony want to charge that much then they will. What I was trying to say is that from day one that was the price range but it in no way influenced our effort on the game and is in no way reflective of the quality of the game.

Like I said above - just play the game and help us to make the next one even better. That's our goal.

"Just buy the game. Hate it. Complain. Wait for the next game. Hate it, etc"
Maybe the next game will be called AFL 2006 Deja Vu.

If the price range isn't reflective of the game in any way, then why did you know from 'Day One' that it would be in that range?

Thanks for the Philosophy 101 response. I guess we can just go back to saying the same things in different words, like releasing the same game three or four times with a different name.

Zizou said:
"Just buy the game. Hate it. Complain. Wait for the next game. Hate it, etc"
Maybe the next game will be called AFL 2006 Deja Vu.

If the price range isn't reflective of the game in any way, then why did you know from 'Day One' that it would be in that range?
If you quoted his entire post he did say Just try it
A smart person would hire a game they were unsure whether to buy or not first.

I'm not trying to criticise, but I'm just stating what I think are facts.

Anyways why wouldn't I be allowed to criticise, seeing as though AFL Premiership 2005 was like watching bald tribal men trying to play AFL Football.

So when the actual release of the game? I'm sick of AFL Premiership 2005. I wanna play my young kids, ala, Matt Thomas, the ones that aint in AFL 2005.

Zizou, plenty of people in this forum, and other forums, have had the same response to AFL games as you have. In one forum an IR Gurus developer copped so much flack that he had to leave the forum to get away from all the abuse.
Everyone is a bit skeptical, but I can definately tell you that playing the game (demo), it is a great improvement on 2005, and it sounds like 2007 will continue that trend and become even better.
If you're still worried about wasting the money, do what Locky said, and just hire it first. Assess it for yourself. My mates don't even believe me when I say its a huge improvement, and so that's what they're gonna do.
We all want AFL games to be as great as possible, and that's why this thread was created. We can give constructive criticism back to Fiery Hawk, who'll then go to his superiors and say, "Look, I have proof that the public want this or that in the game!"
Sure Fiery Hawk didn't make it sound good when he said that the game was intended to be in that price range. He didn't mean "It was meant to be crap from the beginning". (Although it was a poor choice of words you used Hawk....:)
When I saw the post that said how much it was, I honestly thought, BARGAIN! Seeing as this game is so much better than last year's version, and that one sold for a top-of-the-range price.
Anyway, as I said before, maybe hire the game first. Don't like it, don't buy it. Do like it, head to JB, and spend the rest of the year on the couch in front of the Playstation.

I'm very torn between buying or renting. As someone said, it's probably logical to rent first but the thing is I'd be surprised if my local stores have it on the day of release (I'm in regional Vic and they're normally pretty slack - our local Video Ezy has dropped the ball majorly with PS2 games and there's no Blockbuster).

I'm pretty sure, however, that JB Hi-fi will have it for purchase on the first day. And if it's around $65, I think I'll buy it. I hate having restrictions on how long I can play it for etc etc.. My theory is I can always sell it on eBay if it's anything like AFL 2005. :eek:

And just regarding the 2007 game - has consideration been given to a deeper "franchise/dynasty" mode? Probably the sole reason I buy and play sport games (NBA Live, FIFA etc) is to have a team and manage them from season to season - this mode has to be pretty deep for it to be worthwhile and for sustained game longevity. The likes of NBA Live and FIFA have it about right - is AFL 2007 going to offer something relatively deep in this regard?

I guess what I'd love is an emphasis on scouting, player development throughout their career and total list management. It would be fun also to be able to set "training drills" and stuff throughout the week - so if you want your team to be physically tough and rugged - get them in the gym all week, but if you want a really quick side, focus on running and fitness drills etc etc.. I'd love for this type of thing to be implemented in future games.

Fiery Hawk - I think it's awesome that you're obviously so keen to obtain feedback from gamers like us. I think I doubted you at first when you opened this thread all those months ago, but you are clearly here to ensure we get as good a gaming experience as possible. Good stuff mate.

I really hope this game is "good" - that's all I'm after! :thumbsu:

I hope this is an improvement, But it doesn't matter if I borrow or rent a game first - Fiery Hawk indirectly admitted that this will be a sub-standard game. I will eventually play the game so it doesn't really matter.

Fiery Hawk, I don't mean to vent my anger at you. I assume that you don't have that much control at IR ((Especially if you couldn't push for something fundamental like end-to-end angles after taking a mark/free kick). So it probably isn't your responsibility to defend the game, or past games, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't played an AFL game since AFL 99, so I can't wait to give it a crack. The videos look quite good.

Fiery Hawk, is the player list current as to all the players running around this year? Just wondering if Patrick Bowden is in the Richmond side in the 2006 game.

Also will the 2007 version be available on the PS2 as well?

Thanks

BlackMamba said:
Sure Fiery Hawk didn't make it sound good when he said that the game was intended to be in that price range. He didn't mean "It was meant to be crap from the beginning". (Although it was a poor choice of words you used Hawk....:)

Yeah my bad there fellas. Didn't mean for alarm bells to go off...

luke2177 said:
And just regarding the 2007 game - has consideration been given to a deeper "franchise/dynasty" mode? Probably the sole reason I buy and play sport games (NBA Live, FIFA etc) is to have a team and manage them from season to season - this mode has to be pretty deep for it to be worthwhile and for sustained game longevity. The likes of NBA Live and FIFA have it about right - is AFL 2007 going to offer something relatively deep in this regard?

Yes there are plans in place to deepen the franchise mode. This includes as you said, a training mode in which you can set the intensity, type of training and who is involved (whether it be individual players, the whole team or a group of players like the midfield for centre bounces). How you train throughout the week will directly affect the performance of your players. With regards to other aspects like team management in the off-season we are looking at introducing contract negotiations and the like. The idea is to bring in some of the real AFL off-season activities into the game. How exactly all this will work is being sussed out as I type.

luke2177 said:
Fiery Hawk - I think it's awesome that you're obviously so keen to obtain feedback from gamers like us. I think I doubted you at first when you opened this thread all those months ago, but you are clearly here to ensure we get as good a gaming experience as possible. Good stuff mate.

I really hope this game is "good" - that's all I'm after! :thumbsu:

Thanks. I/We appreciate that you guys are understanding our intentions here now and in future releases.

Parabola said:
Fiery Hawk, is the player list current as to all the players running around this year? Just wondering if Patrick Bowden is in the Richmond side in the 2006 game.

Also will the 2007 version be available on the PS2 as well?

Thanks

Yes all teams have their listed players for the 2006 season. I know I'm gonna cop a barrage of abuse here but...the exceptions are rookie listed players. They didn't fit into our salary cap system so were left out for 2006. In 2007 however they will be included (as a bare minimum) and there's talk of a Rookie Draft in addition to the AFL draft along with all the Rookie List rules that are applied to the real game.

Can't comment on what platform 2007 will be on at this stage but given that Sony have an exclusive licence and there won't be a PS3 market in time for release it wouldn't be hard to figure out. ;)

Zizou said:
I hope this is an improvement, But it doesn't matter if I borrow or rent a game first - Fiery Hawk indirectly admitted that this will be a sub-standard game. I will eventually play the game so it doesn't really matter.

Fiery Hawk, I don't mean to vent my anger at you. I assume that you don't have that much control at IR ((Especially if you couldn't push for something fundamental like end-to-end angles after taking a mark/free kick). So it probably isn't your responsibility to defend the game, or past games, etc.

I know your anger isn't directed fair and square at me. I just hope you try the game and enjoy it.

go team said:
i really don't see how that is a big deal. i can't say i was expecting them anyway.

I can explain why they are not in. We have our reasons...

1. The new Rookie List rules were not provided to us until late in development.
2. There is no long-term injury list functionality in the game so Rookie players (based on the 2005 rules from the AFL) couldn't play senior footy in our Season/Career modes.
3. Due to the fact that they could only play pre-season games we decided to cut them and save room for other things.
4. There was no point developing them just so you could use them in pre-season games.

But like I said before...in 07 we're looking at having the Playing List, Rookie List, Veterans List, Long-term Injury List so that all the rules can apply and Rookie players become more relevant.

FH,

I wouldnt even bother trying to develop a rookie draft in 2007...spend the time on an area most people would care about.

If you listen to Matera Goal he would have you color match the eagles underwear!

no rookies = who cares!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back