AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Maximus76 said:
FH,

I wouldnt even bother trying to develop a rookie draft in 2007...spend the time on an area most people would care about.

If you listen to Matera Goal he would have you color match the eagles underwear!

no rookies = who cares!

Hahaha yes well....

The reason we are looking at including them is if we are to develop the off-season mode of the game further with regards to salary caps, contracts etc we need to include Rookies as they can be used as replacement players or become promoted to the senior list thus including their contracts into the salary cap. It makes sense to bring the off-season mode as close to the real thing as possible as butchering it can be quite a task.

But rest assured, if it's gonna eat into other areas we think are more important we wont do it.

matera_goal said:
Do you mean yes they're not in either or no they're just not in season?

Dude, go to school.

FH, dont worry about the rookies, that doesnt bother me at all, you have the new players in the game and thats all that counts. Im not fussed about lack of rookies. The only thing im concerned with is the camera, where you mark it using side cam and cant see up field.

Is it easy to locate a free man using a radar or something similar? Are there arrows when you are in possession which tell you where your men are?

1 thing I'd really like to see changed is the release date.

You gotta attempt to do it earlier in the season if that is at all possible. Although July is a lot better than September.

RoosterLad said:
Yeah around the time of the pre-season cup or just before the actual season starts will be good, its far too late now.

There are a number of reasons why this isn't possible. I agree though that having it at the start of the season would be ideal. Hopefully the next one is sooner in the season.

Hey FH,
I've noticed that the 2006 demo doesn't use all of the possible buttons. I mean its good to introduce the direction pad for tactics, but there is still no use for (atleast I think there isn't) L2, R2, L3 (Push Left Analog stick in), R3 (Push Right Analog stick in), the entire Right Analog stick, or the Select button.
I would love to have R2 as the button that makes the player square up his shoulders and walk for control so you don't always sprint past the player (i.e in FIFA and Madden), the right analog stick used for out-bodying your opponent in one-on-one marking contests and maybe L2 and Select as something else. I suppose L3 and R3 aren't really used in games much anyway, so not using them doesn't really bother me.
Are the buttons used in the full version? Or atleast has there been plans to make them useful in 2007?

BlackMamba said:
Hey FH,
I've noticed that the 2006 demo doesn't use all of the possible buttons. I mean its good to introduce the direction pad for tactics, but there is still no use for (atleast I think there isn't) L2, R2, L3 (Push Left Analog stick in), R3 (Push Right Analog stick in), the entire Right Analog stick, or the Select button.
I would love to have R2 as the button that makes the player square up his shoulders and walk for control so you don't always sprint past the player (i.e in FIFA and Madden), the right analog stick used for out-bodying your opponent in one-on-one marking contests and maybe L2 and Select as something else. I suppose L3 and R3 aren't really used in games much anyway, so not using them doesn't really bother me.
Are the buttons used in the full version? Or atleast has there been plans to make them useful in 2007?

I know what you mean. There is hope to get L2 and R2 involved for bodying-out guys or standing your ground. Personally I'd love to see the right analogue stick used for evasive moves. By all means come up with controls setups and we'll look at them. For AFL2006 we just wanted to simplify the controls with the use of an action button (X). There is plenty of scope for a deeper control system though!

No rookie players?

I was looking forward to dropping French for A.O'hAilpin in the ruck. Ah well I will get over it with Murphy in the centre and Kennedy holding down CHF and Hartlett playing CHB!!

Hello ladies.

I just got back from Harvey Norman and while i was there i noticed the AFL demo was on one of the PS2s set up there. So i thought I'd have a go.

Massive improvement, quite a few free kicks were there (i didnt know the buttons and im used to R1 being sprint but it seems to be aggression so i gave a few frees away early). It would have been more enjoyable if i did know the buttons but it was a very fun to play game even with the very short 2 minute quarters.

The side view was a bit difficult at times, and i was forced to bomb long but i guess with a bit of time ill get used to the radar. I was able to string a few handballs along though, and the goal kicking meter is pretty decent, i also really liked the shanked kicks if i held kick down for too long. The kicks go over 30m, incredible hey? I even sharked a tap from my ruck, fired off a handball to a bloke about 55-60 out and pumped it long (using normal kick, not a shot) and it went over the top of my leading forward, bounced twice and went through for a stunning goal.

Much more free flowing than any other game ive played. For the record i was Richmond over Adelaide, dont think i could change the opponent which was set as Adelaide but i only wanted a quickie,, and i managed to sneak home by a goal.

One funny thing i saw early in the game, a Crow and a Tiger both clashed together going for the ball and both got injured.

This is a game you will be able to play for an extended period of time, whereas the last game i'd play a game or two then get very bored/annoyed.

Borgsta said:
sometimes I wonder about you MG. Full stop usually indicates 'at all'. So I'd be betting on no rookies at all.
For me, "full stop" means ".". "." isn't something that makes sense to me. Hey what are you doing in Japan anyway? Nihon jin karakimashtaka? :confused:

Maximus76 said:
FH,

I wouldnt even bother trying to develop a rookie draft in 2007...spend the time on an area most people would care about.

If you listen to Matera Goal he would have you color match the eagles underwear!

no rookies = who cares!
Hey! MATERA_GOAL cares. Jesus Christ man, if you had rookies as awesome as the Eagles, you'd want them too. I just think that without rookies, it doesn't feel like you're playing with the same team because they are missing several players. Hey, if they get a game in real life (Brissy have Roe, Stiller :)thumbsu:) and Pask etc., Eagles have Priddis and Armstrong) surely you'd wanna give them a game in the AFL video game?

Todd Grima spits on you

RoosterLad said:
Dude, go to school.

FH, dont worry about the rookies, that doesnt bother me at all, you have the new players in the game and thats all that counts. Im not fussed about lack of rookies.
Brad Sugars mate. Braaaad Sugars!

RoosterLad said:
Hello ladies.

I just got back from Harvey Norman and while i was there i noticed the AFL demo was on one of the PS2s set up there. So i thought I'd have a go.

Massive improvement, quite a few free kicks were there (i didnt know the buttons and im used to R1 being sprint but it seems to be aggression so i gave a few frees away early). It would have been more enjoyable if i did know the buttons but it was a very fun to play game even with the very short 2 minute quarters.

The side view was a bit difficult at times, and i was forced to bomb long but i guess with a bit of time ill get used to the radar. I was able to string a few handballs along though, and the goal kicking meter is pretty decent, i also really liked the shanked kicks if i held kick down for too long. The kicks go over 30m, incredible hey? I even sharked a tap from my ruck, fired off a handball to a bloke about 55-60 out and pumped it long (using normal kick, not a shot) and it went over the top of my leading forward, bounced twice and went through for a stunning goal.

Much more free flowing than any other game ive played. For the record i was Richmond over Adelaide, dont think i could change the opponent which was set as Adelaide but i only wanted a quickie,, and i managed to sneak home by a goal.

One funny thing i saw early in the game, a Crow and a Tiger both clashed together going for the ball and both got injured.

This is a game you will be able to play for an extended period of time, whereas the last game i'd play a game or two then get very bored/annoyed.
You know, I just got back from Westfield Carousel (which has a Harvey Norman right next to it) and was going to have a look-see if they had anything like a demo :eek:.

If only...

Game sounds awesome! Even more reason to be excited :D!

P.S Sorry about the double post - I can't delete this one! :(

matera_goal said:
Hey, if they get a game in real life (Brissy have Roe, Stiller :)thumbsu:) and Pask etc., Eagles have Priddis and Armstrong) surely you'd wanna give them a game in the AFL video game?

It would be nice to trade for Jason Roe and get him to the Crows because he used to play for my SANFL side, but it doesnt matter.

I would love to see a bit more depth though, Soccer games have heaps of different leagues, i'd like to see the SANFL, WAFL, VFL etc in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RoosterLad said:
For the record i was Richmond over Adelaide, dont think i could change the opponent which was set as Adelaide but i only wanted a quickie,, and i managed to sneak home by a goal.
Yeah, when you go into Quick Play on the demo the opponent is automatically selected. If you don't want to play them, just go back, try again and it should randomly select another team. It's only for the demo though, so it doen't really matter.
RoosterLad said:
Exactly my thoughts too... and RoosterLad, you had huge doubts as well didn't you? Zizou and others worried about the game, take note, someone skeptical has tried it, and liked it...

RoosterLad said:
It would be nice to trade for Jason Roe and get him to the Crows because he used to play for my SANFL side, but it doesnt matter.

I would love to see a bit more depth though, Soccer games have heaps of different leagues, i'd like to see the SANFL, WAFL, VFL etc in the game.

I'd say they are separate licences from the AFL one. Might be worth the effort securing them for a next gen version.

BlackMamba said:
Yeah, when you go into Quick Play on the demo the opponent is automatically selected. If you don't want to play them, just go back, try again and it should randomly select another team. It's only for the demo though, so it doen't really matter.

Exactly my thoughts too... and RoosterLad, you had huge doubts as well didn't you? Zizou and others worried about the game, take note, someone skeptical has tried it, and liked it...

Yep it didnt bother me, i was in a shop and just wanted a quick game, even if it was against the Crows.

I did have big doubts and those have been erased after playing this. So as Black Mamba said, a harsh critic like me has played it so you will like it, and lads like ilnino and matera goal will cream themselves. 500% improvement i reckon.

Fiery Hawk said:
I'd say they are separate licences from the AFL one. Might be worth the effort securing them for a next gen version.

Yeah they would be separate but it would be no trouble securing a license. It just adds that little bit more depth to the game, obviously the majority will want to play AFL, but i know of a fair few people who would love to play for their SANFL team. Try your hardest mate.

RoosterLad said:
Yeah they would be separate but it would be no trouble securing a license. It just adds that little bit more depth to the game, obviously the majority will want to play AFL, but i know of a fair few people who would love to play for their SANFL team. Try your hardest mate.

Trust me in an ideal world where I could call the shots with an unlimited budget it would be in there without a second thought... :D

Is the deal like some previous Sony exclusive games like GTA where it's released on ps2 and then on other systems later? or is this ps2 exclusive. Very dissapointing for PC users.

melbournemartin said:
Is the deal like some previous Sony exclusive games like GTA where it's released on ps2 and then on other systems later? or is this ps2 exclusive. Very dissapointing for PC users.

Very good Question!!!!!

Fiery Hawk said:
Trust me in an ideal world where I could call the shots with an unlimited budget it would be in there without a second thought... :D

Talking about licence's How did the AFL or Sony get around St.Kilda
They have X-Box on their shorts, I'll bet X-Box is not on St.Kildas shorts there in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back