AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Fiery Hawk said:
Finding out for you about the Brownlow calculations...I'm not a programmer so I'm chasing it up. Will let you know soon!

There are player stats for each game you play in. Not for other games in the round.
So thats how you got the job at IR?
Not many there seem to be good programmers, i mean if you were then EA would hire you.

Fiery Hawk said:
How's the player development coming along? Have you assigned it to particular players or just the team as a whole?

Also, how are the ratings of the players? Way off the mark or in the ball park?
Player development is good. I've tryed to improve my areas that have been affected by injury. Boosted Nicoski a fair bit, along with Selwood. Glass i improved a bit who had 6 kicked on him with Tarrent. As for the starting ratings, i have found them to be proberly as accurate as possible, despite what us supporters think of potential legends.

An addition for 2007. The ability to view the Injury/Suspension table for the season. Myself, i love to see what i'm up against and who's missing.

:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

More props to the game.

Loving it. Had my first few games against the cpu today. Normal difficulty, Auto-switch player ON, with direction assist ON and input assist OFF. I find these the best options for playing against the cpu.

Against human players I turn direstion assist OFF.

Just won my first pre-season game against the Tigers by a goal ;) . I was down by 11 points at three-quarter time too. 10 min quarters and the scores finished in the early hundreds with 6 goals being the most kicked by anyone player! Not like last year........10+ goals for full forwards.

Also, I have finally mastered punching and marking and have even taken a few speccys!

Kick-ins are alot better in this game too because of the tactics.

Not much to complain about, maybe lack of season stats and awards but hey, gameplay feels unreal compared to last year.

FH, please make 07 online! Like last year, this game is still more fun playing multiplayer.

One thing with tagging, when interchanging a player who was tagging someone, the player you replace him with from the bench will automatically be set to tag the same person.
Although at the time of making the substitution it says that your replacement isnt tagging anyone, when he gets on the field he will be.

The reason I say this is if you try to set your replacement to tag someone at the time of making the substituting, for some reason, another random person on your team will also be set to tag that person. Hard to explain, but yeh....you dont want that to happen ;)

eg. I benched Bateman, who was tagging Voss, and Replaced him with Clarke and then set him to tag Voss. All of a sudden I go to check Sam Mitchell's stamina and notice it says he also, is tagging Voss :eek: I didnt set that! I then set Mitchell back to tagging no-one and alas, Clarke was also set to tag no-one.

So yeh.....if you replace a bloke who is tagging.....let's say...Mr.X, the replacement playerwill automatically continue to tag Mr.X :thumbsu:

P.S 9/10 for me!

:D Ok heres my lowdown on the game:

THE GOOD:

Difficulty level: I just lost a game on 10 mins qtrs on hard by 112 points. Ironically, It was the most satisfying defeat i have ever had as I didnt feel like I lost to the games faults and bugs. I lost because I wasnt good enough.. yet.

Tackling: Oh yeah, tackling is cool. Nowdays you must consider whether its best to attempt a: aggressive tackle or light tackle, smother or even a bump. Make for unpredictable footy.

Goal kicking: Hurrah I dont have scorelines of 38.1 anymore! Actually I was playing before on medium and finished with 12.21. With more practice, ive gotten fairly better than that game, but you still miss often which again reduces the predictability of the game and increases the realism.

General field kicking/hanballing: I ran from the back pocket to the forward fifty with nothing but smart running and handballs, that was cool. When you kick the new meter has 3 colours depending on how long you hold it down for. Orange is for short kicks, Green is for long while Red is for absolute shanks. Im still learning the ropes with passing, but i have been able to get it work for me in some solid passages of play.

THE BAD

Shanks: You have to be careful about going for extra distance on your kicks, because if you end up in the red zone, your kick will suffer. And by suffer, i dont mean miss its intended target. I mean roll along the ground 5 meters (sometimes backwards:confused: ) Seems a bit unrealistic, as no afl player (with the exception of Jonathon Hay) has skills this poor.

Full forwards: Yes, Johnathon Hay is my fullback.. but if the midfield get a centre clearance generally the opposition full forward kicks a goal. Only played a few games, but I am yet to have one where the opposing full forward hasnt kicked a bag.

Free Kicks: Way tooo pendantic. The human controlled player generally benefits from them, but they seem to affect the flow of the game a bit as most of them are for simple nudges off the ball which you wouldnt have noticed without watching the replay aftwewards. Needed to be less frequent. Not to annoying, just didnt feel right.

Thus far, the good has heavily out weighed the bad for me. This game is a fantastic return to form for IR Gurus. I give it a 8.5/10, although this rating may change as I get into the nooks and crannies out this title. So far, so good though!

B-Rock said:
Full forwards: Yes, Johnathon Hay is my fullback.. but if the midfield get a centre clearance generally the opposition full forward kicks a goal. Only played a few games, but I am yet to have one where the opposing full forward hasnt kicked a bag.
Yeah I talked to Fiery Hawk about this. It's this part of the game that can really be influenced by the player developement side of things. If the full-forward keeps getting away on good leads, you'll have to improve your full-back's speed. If he's beating you in one-out contests, you should increase he marking and spoiling ability.

Fiery Hawk said:
Do us a favour and fork out for it. We're a tiny little aussie company...not a giant conglomerate like EA! We need all the sales we can get to get more dev money & time...

Paying customer of all IR GURUS AFL games over here :cool:

B-Rock said:
Difficulty level: I just lost a game on 10 mins qtrs on hard by 112 points. Ironically, It was the most satisfying defeat i have ever had as I didnt feel like I lost to the games faults and bugs. I lost because I wasnt good enough.. yet.

Make sure you use direction assist but not input assist. Means you will automatically run to marking contests, but will still have to mark/punch manually. With direction assist OFF, its damn hard !!!

B-Rock said:
General field kicking/hanballing: I ran from the back pocket to the forward fifty with nothing but smart running and handballs, that was cool. When you kick the new meter has 3 colours depending on how long you hold it down for. Orange is for short kicks, Green is for long while Red is for absolute shanks. Im still learning the ropes with passing, but i have been able to get it work for me in some solid passages of play.

And it only gets better! After a few games, I can now work it from Full Back to Full Forward if my kick/mark timing is right!

B-Rock said:
Shanks: You have to be careful about going for extra distance on your kicks, because if you end up in the red zone, your kick will suffer. And by suffer, i dont mean miss its intended target. I mean roll along the ground 5 meters (sometimes backwards:confused: ) Seems a bit unrealistic, as no afl player (with the exception of Jonathon Hay) has skills this poor.

I also found shanks very annoying in my first couple of games as I was not used to having to let go of the kick button to kick. Couple of games later, and I barely shank it anymore, and when it does happen its kinda cool coz the last thing you expect 10m out from goal is a shank and for the ball to only go 5 meters!

B-Rock said:

Tactics helped me stop this happening.......Defensive everything! Also once you figure out proper mark/punch time, it shouldnt happen as often. BTW, in case any one doesnt know, you can bump your opponent out of the way instead of marking or punching if you want and even aggressively. I find it works better in certain situations.....although sometimes youll be pinged for roughplay or a push in the back...

Just finished my first Home and Away season and making the finals! Finished in 5th spot with 12 wins and 10 losses. St. Kilda the minor premiers and the Hawks the spooners.

End of year awards

Coleman: R.Robertson with 80. No Eagle in the top 10. All were key position forwards, with N. Brown, S. Welsh and M.O'Loughlin the smaller forwards

Brownlow: A Hansen. No surprise really, seems the same kind of voting as last game. He polled 21 votes and a second place J.Brennan had 13. No true midfielder in the top 10!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

quiksilva said:
Just finished my first Home and Away season and making the finals! Finished in 5th spot with 12 wins and 10 losses. St. Kilda the minor premiers and the Hawks the spooners.

End of year awards

Coleman: R.Robertson with 80. No Eagle in the top 10. All were key position forwards, with N. Brown, S. Welsh and M.O'Loughlin the smaller forwards

Brownlow: A Hansen. No surprise really, seems the same kind of voting as last game. He polled 21 votes and a second place J.Brennan had 13. No true midfielder in the top 10!

Yeah the brownlow is the same system as last year. We fully intend to overhaul it next time as we are incorporating game awards and hopefully player rankings for the match (like the ones seen on ch.10 coverage).

Now you're up to the fun bit...trading and drafting and seeing who went where the next season. For the sake of variety in gameplay a lot of the teams tend to trade so every season will be like a mini fantasy draft. Kinda makes it fun to play. Especially when you see one of your ex-team mates and you wanna smash him! :p

I've been following this thread everday and can't wait to get the game.

I've just been thinking, will anyone be making a website for the game, maybe somewhere for people to go and find tips, screenshots, tactics, maybe even discuss tactics. I love playing my games and then discussing aspects of them on sites dedicated to that particular game. ex, COD, Ghost Recon etc.

and the door could be left open for future afl games like 2007, so it doesn't have to be just one version. This way we'd have a single place where we could see screens and movies of future versions and hold discussions with the folk at IR Gurus like Fiery Hawk was kind enough to do here.

What a thrilling Elimination final! At Subi down 24-9 against the Crows, Embley and Jones kick 2 a peice to win 5.4.34 to 5.1.31. Tried to tag McLeod with Stienglien but failed. McLeod managed 5 possesions to Stinga's 0.

Just thought I'd let y'all know that all of your comments whether they be good or bad are being forwarded on and filed here at IR Gurus for discussion in the development of AFL 2007. Keep 'em all coming. Thanks!

Parabola said:
I've been following this thread everday and can't wait to get the game.

I've just been thinking, will anyone be making a website for the game, maybe somewhere for people to go and find tips, screenshots, tactics, maybe even discuss tactics. I love playing my games and then discussing aspects of them on sites dedicated to that particular game. ex, COD, Ghost Recon etc.

and the door could be left open for future afl games like 2007, so it doesn't have to be just one version. This way we'd have a single place where we could see screens and movies of future versions and hold discussions with the folk at IR Gurus like Fiery Hawk was kind enough to do here.

A great idea. Anyone got web skills? I'm willing to perform the same role that I do here and on other forums...
I ask this as I'm not sure we have the manpower to organise this.

Yeah a website would be mad.
I noticed on the Fifa forums they have a 'Great Goals' section, where people have put videos of some great goals they have scored onto the web.They have either captured video onto their computer, or just filmed video from the screen using a digital camera.
I reckon we should maybe do a thread like.
I drilled a goal from the boundary line on the run the other day. Would've been great to put on.

Recorded my biggest win in the Semi Final. Playing against Melbourne, a 5 goal second quater set up a 37 point win. Embley the star with 5. 11.1.67 plays 5.0.30

quiksilva said:

End of year awards

How was the voting done last time?

FH might explain it, CHF's would win the Brownlow every time. No midfielder or defender would poll in the top 10. They were usually the possession getters

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back