AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I had my first win on normal. :D

I then thought I'd give hard another crack and only lost by 6 goals. :) Last time I played on hard I lost by 100 points. lol

I've improved my marking but I'm still ****. :mad: Also my goal kicking on the run needs a lot of improvement.

Awesome game. :) I'll have a few more practise attempts and then give the career mode a crack. Marc Murphy will be seeing a lot ofdevelopment points.:D

Bought it today. Played preseason + round 1 so far.

I understand the marking but it looks like there's half a dozen rings moving in & out. Still usually get out marked. Need to practise that big time but i like it.

Kicking bar is a huge improvement. Very easy to use.
I've only played it on easy so I've probably had plenty of time to line up the goals.

Love the attribute points.

Dislike the team selection screen. Having a field/board is much easier. In 05 you could also see who your player was playing on at the team selection board. AT times I'd go tall to compensate etc but it's just a list in 06.

05 had brownlow & coleman medal tall after every game. Goal kicking totals are kept by the AFL and can be viewed every game, whenever. Why is this not in the game?
The brownlow is left til the end of the season in the AFL, so it should be the same in any game depicting it (as it is 2006) great (but where's the goal kicking) DUH? It's not an improvement in that regard if something like that is left out when it WAS included in 05.
Include goal kicking total. Don't include brownlow.

Great game and well worth the $64 i paid for it.
As i'm somewhat pessimistic, I wouldn't hold my breath for AFL 2007 on PS2. With the PS3 released in november there will be little interest in ps2 development. When the PS2 hit the shelves all NEW release PS1 games were $25. How will you make a profit with an 07 game when it cannot retail high enough due to being out dated.

quiksilva said:
FH might explain it, CHF's would win the Brownlow every time. No midfielder or defender would poll in the top 10. They were usually the possession getters

yeah I'm trying to find that one out...will let y'all know when I do. Sufficed to say it's irrelevant in 2007 as it's being overhauled.

goDees22 said:
do opposition teams get injuries?

Really positive comments, i'm definitely getting it

Yes they do and you can really take advantage of it as injured players no longer teleport from the ground. They have to run off the ground during play. If a goal is scored and they haven't made it off the ground yet they are re-set in their starting position so if for example the opposition ruckman is injured you can really have the advantage in the ruck.
Hopefully in 07 we can nominate a backup ruckman for cases like that who starts the next contest in the middle whilst the injured ruckman is going off.

matera_goal said:
A few problems:

1. There is no free kick from kick out that goes out without being touched

2. Nearly any player can launch 80m torps if they want :eek:

3. The opposition heavily overuse the torp

I'm up to Round 3 2006 :) I like the player development thing, although no season stats are a letdown.

Apart from those, it's soooo much better than 2005. Good work FH and good work Ir Gurus!

P.S I am playing on Normal, finding it easy sometimes, hard others.

EDIT: Contested marks are bloody hard, I am not very good at marking yet :p It's a timing thing

EDIT #2: I'm going to try Hard soon, haven't yet.

EDIT #3: THE OPPOSITION STILL DON'T USE THE BENCH APART FROM INJURIES :mad:

1. could have sworn that was fixed but it appears it didn't make it into the game on time. It was identified so it will definitely be fixed for 07.

2. Same as in #1

3. Yeah that can happen but once you master marking it's not a real biggy.

4. AI will utilise the bench for other reasons in 07 like fatigue, mis-matches...it's coming...

matera_goal said:
All the players the opposition wanted were gone and I had about 20 opposition players on my list! :eek: :mad:

EDIT: In the sim season, Mark Williams won both the Coleman and Brownlow :eek:. His overall rating is now 98!?!?!?! :eek:

When you simulate trades and drafting the game does its best to keep you under the salary cap so anyone remotely expensive tends to be traded. I guess it's done that way to encourage you to explore trading and drafting to get the most out of it. Kinda like when you simulate matches and you are awarded less development points.

Players who win awards have their attributes boosted. So in this case he had a double boost.

Zizou said:
It is an improvement from 2005. What happened just then? Gheric was on the tightest angle, boots it into the point post.....and 'out of bounds is awarded' What is going on there?..............Sorry my bad, it's a pre season game aha..sorry for making anyone's heart beat faster than normal.

I'm pretty sure anytime you hit the 'point' post (note, not the goal post) on the full is out of bounds on the full.

The Roofseal said:
This is for fiery hawk......was just wondering if the next afl game......2007.....will be on ps2 or r u guys upgrading to the next gen in ps3...get back to me

Definitely a PS2 only title. Next gen won't be happening until there is a viable market for PS3 titles in Aus. So the more console sales here the better the chances of a next gen version being created.

Fwoy said:
My main beef at the moment is the non-use of the d-pad. I'm always happier using the d-pad instead of the left analogue stick. Normally games allow both to be used...am I missing a way to change this.

Also, simmed through a season to check the trades...good to see teams not willing to trade good players...the blanked out ones are for contract reasons?

Still managed to trade Koschitske for Chaffey :D

How did Brent Guerra and Brett Montgomery get star status in season one, both before round 2? And to answer the Mark Williams with 98 points comment earlier...attribute points get awarded to the major award winners...he won the Coleman in my season and is on 93. By winning both in the other persons season, he was rated higher.

We may have to implement alternate controls where you can choose the controls from a previous AFL game. 2005 anyone? :p

Blanked out players are either guys who are untradeable in the eyes of the opposition or are first year drafted players (they are contracted for 2 seasons).

Guerra receives a star rating as an 'aggressor'. Montgomery receives one for 'speccie'. I think they're appropriate as both are known for those qualities. The same goes for Eddie Betts who has the 'motor' rating for his exceptional speed.

illnino said:
EDIT: One more thing - FH, How bloody hard is it to make a decent radar!:p
White dots = yep......but you cant see the black ones because of the green field. Also, 07 should have the option of making the radar larger. Well done again mate!

Noted illnino and will bring it up!

Zizou said:
I would have liked to have heard or seen 3, 2, 1 votes after each game. :(

Yeah that stuff will definitely go in when we work out the new system for rating players. Maybe not a 3-2-1 but definitely a best on and worst on (for entertainments sake).

JADED said:
Dislike the team selection screen. Having a field/board is much easier. In 05 you could also see who your player was playing on at the team selection board. AT times I'd go tall to compensate etc but it's just a list in 06.

Yeah it's something I'm looking at. Wanna display stuff like match-ups for the User so he can identify who to put where. That stuff is being assessed right now.

JADED said:
05 had brownlow & coleman medal tall after every game. Goal kicking totals are kept by the AFL and can be viewed every game, whenever. Why is this not in the game?

Yeah I'm not a fan of putting a progressive brownlow tally during the season as that's a kind of mystery. My dream would be to take the best on ground data each week and do a brownlow betting screen with odds generated from player performances. Maybe next gen with that one! :p
But the progressive goal kicking tally will be in for 2007.

JADED said:
Great game and well worth the $64 i paid for it.
As i'm somewhat pessimistic, I wouldn't hold my breath for AFL 2007 on PS2. With the PS3 released in november there will be little interest in ps2 development. When the PS2 hit the shelves all NEW release PS1 games were $25. How will you make a profit with an 07 game when it cannot retail high enough due to being out dated.

There will be a title for 2007 on PS2 and the cost is something that I know nothing of at this stage. Hopefully it's even cheaper but with all the stuff included that you guys have asked for.

Got the game yesterday, played it last night for an hour or two. The best sign thus far is that I can't wait to play it again - whereas last years version I had decided to sell, sadly, after almost one playing session. :eek:

AFL 2006 is a big improvement. Well done FH! :thumbsu:

I will make a more detailed post once I've adjusted to the game and have played a season or three, but here are some initial thoughts:

1) The gameplay is so much better - it's fun to play at the moment.

2) I find opposition full forwards are pretty much unbeatable so far. But I understand with a better full-back (I was using Luke Livingston) I would improve in that area.

3) I find at times when I'm kicking out from goal, I aim to kick in a certain direction - yet when I go to kick it changes the direction completely (i.e. instead of kicking to near the 50m line flank, it kicks straight up the ground) - why would this be?

4) Marking is difficult - so I've found spoiling is crucial unless you plan to outmark the opposition. As I'm not good enough yet, I'll continue to try and spoil on most occassions.

5) The oppositive give away a lot of free kicks (at least on 'Easy' which is the difficulty level I started on - perhaps it was 'Normal' - I don't know).

6) Tactics - what the? I only realised an hour into my play that I had to set what tactics to use in the menu screen - is that right?? I assume when you use th D-pad, green is for attacking, red for defensive and blue is balanced? I'll get used to this I'm sure as I play more.

7) Agree about the radar - it's rendered almost meaningless because its very hard to see at times. Same goes for some of the text that appears on screen when a free kick occurs - very hard to read!

That's about it. I'm really liking the game so far, and can't wait to get stuck into a season once I learn the game a bit more.

Love the intro video for the game as well. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still playing on easy. I started playing on Normal in a Single Game (after I got used to it) and got flogged by like 10 goals. Neitz kicked 13 on me. :p

I am up to Rnd 5 with the Crows, playing 10 min quarters. Tyson Edwards is killing it for me. Disposals each game have gone 39, 37, 34, 37. Kicked goals aswell...too bad I can't access the season stats :(

Gameplay is harder which is good, but still random, ie. Marking (I am crap and if i get the mark, it is simply just random). I kicked a torp by Andy McLeod from the kick-in and it went to Burton at HF, and he kicked a goal. Great stuff (it cleared the players on the bounce to get to HF)

Disappointed about the Brownlow not progressive, but it is a thing to wait for I guess. Hentschel most likely leading the Coleman (hopefully. Has gone 5, 11, 7, 4)

Much better than last years game IMO, cos I actually am playing it. Not too much cons. Takes a while to get used to so don't think it's crap (new users). Still have to adjust and will get to normal difficulty, lol

Cheers Fiery Hawk for everything

Fiery Hawk said:
We may have to implement alternate controls where you can choose the controls from a previous AFL game. 2005 anyone? :p

Blanked out players are either guys who are untradeable in the eyes of the opposition or are first year drafted players (they are contracted for 2 seasons).

Guerra receives a star rating as an 'aggressor'. Montgomery receives one for 'speccie'. I think they're appropriate as both are known for those qualities. The same goes for Eddie Betts who has the 'motor' rating for his exceptional speed.

Yeah, I like the star ratings. We all have to realise it isn't star players who have them, but in areas. Suprised Hentschel is a 'buckets' when Polak isn't (i just played v Freo).

A con here just to also add on, is the Free Kicks. I am pretty sure the umpiring is on lenient, yet too many soft free kicks in conjested area's.

The only major con i can see from reviews is the stats, i am a bit of a stats freak at times and to me it is just a glaring omission when past games have had them. I will pick it up from EB and hopefully the gameplay can keep me playing.

Power21 said:
The only major con i can see from reviews is the stats, i am a bit of a stats freak at times and to me it is just a glaring omission when past games have had them. I will pick it up from EB and hopefully the gameplay can keep me playing.

It does have stats only game to game, no season stats! Maybe you will have to write them down!

RoosterLad said:
when they said there would be stats in the game i thought they meant season stats, im pretty disappointed about that actually i cant believe they would leave them out!

Yeah me to, especially when previous versions had them and you could see all sorts of teams stats and players stats over their career, to have none apart from during a game is a bit puzzling, it's not like they needed to add it, it was already there!

Power21 said:
Yeah me to, especially when previous versions had them and you could see all sorts of teams stats and players stats over their career, to have none apart from during a game is a bit puzzling, it's not like they needed to add it, it was already there!

It's true, they were always there but never displayed. Unfortunately by the time they were displayed it was too late to test them for bugs so they didn't make it. Not a popular decision I can tell you...I tried everything to get them included but the simple fact was they couldn't test them in time.

Power21 said:
Minor detail really with the gameplay improved alot! Each quater stats seem enough.

I can't believe that some people here are really having a real sook over a few season stats. I mean yeah it would be a good like but IRGurus have actually given us a game that is FUN to play and have improved the gameplay incredibly. Gameplay > Season Stats. I'm more interested in game stats and AFL 2006 has that so I have no beef.

Lonie_from_50 said:
Yeah, I like the star ratings. We all have to realise it isn't star players who have them, but in areas. Suprised Hentschel is a 'buckets' when Polak isn't (i just played v Freo).

A con here just to also add on, is the Free Kicks. I am pretty sure the umpiring is on lenient, yet too many soft free kicks in conjested area's.

Hey at least its realistic. :p

FH, its proberly been asked before,i skimmed but couldn't find it. Will the trading be improved in 07 ? I mean it' still fun but very unrealistic. After my first trade period i played Geelong, but it was almost the Geelong Bombers/Hawks. Would be good to see the odd lower overall player traded, and possibly 1 big name player traded every 2-3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back