AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Vulture said:
has anybody found that, particularly on hard, that the blue circle for marking doesnt move? this is very frustrating as often i am in the perfect position to mark or spoil, and i can't do anything. i guess this is just another way of rigging the game so that its harder.

Not me....I've played 3/4 of a season on hard so far too........

illnino said:
Not me....I've played 3/4 of a season on hard so far too........

You are already on hard? I think maybe this game could be made more difficult but im not sure how easy normal is yet.

Games like PES 5 have 6 different levels of difficulty, 3 is very challenging and anything over that is bloody tough, im only on 3 at the moment myself.

Vulture said:
has anybody found that, particularly on hard, that the blue circle for marking doesnt move? this is very frustrating as often i am in the perfect position to mark or spoil, and i can't do anything. i guess this is just another way of rigging the game so that its harder.
That happens on any difficulty if you press X too late when trying to tackle someone. So it gets carried over to the marking contest.
i.e you go to tackle a guy, and press X, but its just after he's got the kick away. Then that button push is taken as your input for the marking contest, which means it's really poorly mis-timed.
I suppose if that happens, you could try to switch to another player around the area. Don't know if that's work though

BlackMamba said:
That happens on any difficulty if you press X too late when trying to tackle someone. So it gets carried over to the marking contest.
i.e you go to tackle a guy, and press X, but its just after he's got the kick away. Then that button push is taken as your input for the marking contest, which means it's really poorly mis-timed.
I suppose if that happens, you could try to switch to another player around the area. Don't know if that's work though

ohhhhh ok, thanks for that mate.
switching player doesn't help it.

Vulture said:
ohhhhh ok, thanks for that mate.
switching player doesn't help it.
Yeah I know. You've really gotta get used to not pressing it too late. If ya wanna get the guy with the ball, maybe try to bump....that doesn't carry over to the marking contest.

Okay, I decided to splash out and buy this game.

First time since AFL 2003 I might add.

I have only played one game so far, so i need plenty of controls training.

A few things that iritate me are-:

Ball physics are wrong, the ball bounces rather oddly when it hits the ground.
(This suggests it was written by someone with no knowledge of Aussie Rules)

Kicking to a team-mate down field, The default camera angle is pathetic, how can you tell who you are kicking too?

The player and crowd animations obviously have only had very minor touch-ups/adjustments, as they look the same as previous versions.

The poor animations are noticeable when you tackle an opponent. In the close up shot, your player doesn't even touch the opponent when he lays the tackle.

More to come.

I don't think the ball physics are that bad.....
It seems to bounce fairly normally, and how you'd expect it to.
Occasionally you have it bounce in a different direction, or over your head, which is how it is in footy.
Is that what you meant, or something else?

RoosterLad said:
You are already on hard? I think maybe this game could be made more difficult but im not sure how easy normal is yet.

Games like PES 5 have 6 different levels of difficulty, 3 is very challenging and anything over that is bloody tough, im only on 3 at the moment myself.

5 star is actually a lot easier than 3. The computer allows more space to attack, in 3 star they are very tight and hard to break down.

Of course you'll leak more goals, but it's much much easier to keep ball.

Anyway back on AFL, I've been playing it for a week and still can't put it down. Had mates over saturday night before we hit the town and, well we nearly didn't hit the town. It has it's flaws but it's still a very good game.

Well!

I am enjoying the game but still need alot of improvement! Now if IR listens to us then a lot can be achieved for next year!

Comments

- Spida got reported for pushing and was given 1 week (Crazy)
- You can't give a 50 away if you run over the mark
- No season stats! Stats need to be there for the whole season then continue every year! Maybe also if they have won medals or B&F
- Who knows how the brownlow works! It needs to be a bit like the fantasy team comp around!
- I sort of like the fact the brownlow is given out at the end of the year, but maybe a special presentation where you can go round by round or just your team!
- Ball spins incorrectly!
- Side camera needs an option to be further away so you can see more of the ground!
- All the medals need to be used!
- Media after the game!
- Crowed is heaps better!
- Player Editor!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are you supposed to pick who to kick to downfield when you've marked or got a free? Don't tell me you're meant to rely on that $hitty radar in the top right hand corner.

The downfield view is a glaring GLARING omission.

And while I'm whinging what the **** are my defenders doing when the ball goes inside 50 and the opposition players are a mile in front?

Flaws...

In the NAB Cup, when players take a set-shot and hit the post, it is recorded as a behind rather than play-on.

It is very difficult to get to a contest, and I find I get smashed a lot in my defense... Now that is probably due to the Tigers having a brittle defense in the game, with players like Raines and Patrick Bowden severely underrated, but I see that's what the development points are for.

Opposition goals always seem to spin through as torpedoes.

The umpiring decisions are pathetic...lol

I got a 50 metre penalty given to me against the Saints, because the ball hit the Saints players shoulder and bounced out of my hands after i took a mark.

Easy goal to me.

Also, players are getting injuried too easily.

Matt Maguire injured in the first few seconds of the NAB cup, and will miss the rest of the season. All I did was tackle him to the ground!

A simple bump is given as a free kick also.

Broken said:
Editable names would be a good feature for career mode...I find in other games a lot of names repeat and it makes it hard to distinguish players.

For 2007 I'd like to see historical teams (and Fitzroy :) ) and even a State of Origin option...

and legends teams once you clock it so if you win the flag on hard with say Hawthorn you could get their 88 team or team of the century.

Boy, whoever suggested changing to the better arial camera view cheers.

I was playing the NAB cup, I beat the Saints by 5 points, and then proceeded to get smashed by the Weagles in the second round 206-9.

I couldn't touch the Weagles, they literally smashed me senseless.

I was on easy level by the way.

There is a bit of steep learning curve with the control method.

metallichris said:
In the NAB Cup, when players take a set-shot and hit the post, it is recorded as a behind rather than play-on.

Only sometimes.....And sometimes its paid as play on as it should be. Don't know why it only happens some times and not others.

Moved on to year 3 now, as in my second year i may have been able to make the finals... but i felt with a 6 - 11 record my chances weren't great, so i simulated the remaining games (i finished 11th).

Offloaded a few players i didn't really use, wound up with Jason Akermanis :cool:. Hope i do better in my 3rd year, as i'm gonna have to offload some of my big name players by the end of it (unless Everitt, Crawford retire... then i'll have some spare room in the salary cap). Already feeling the pinch thanks to the stat point upgrades i've done.

I'm doing ok on Medium, my past few games i've started well generally booting 3-5 goals in the first quarter, but then basically doing stuff all else in the remaining quarters :(. I had a really great game against Port Adelaide where i dominated the first quarter (booted 6 goals against their 1 goal and 1 point). They caught up in the second quarter, but i pulled away again in the dying stages. They drew level and eventually built up a handy lead against me in the third quarter. I looked done and dusted in the fourth, but a few quick goals and i was 1 point in front with seconds remaining. I was spewing at the end as i gave away a 50 meter penalty prior to the siren sounding, Port scored a goal and i lost by 5 points :(.

Still having fun playing single player, i'll be playing it against some mates this weekend - see if i can give them a right royal walloping :p

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back