Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Preliminary Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 23rd 5:15pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 111 44.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And two goals from two dodgy free kicks to 'footsteps' Cripps yet people think they were brave. Haha.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hmmm, well one was from a mark and the other was from a pretty obvious high bump.
You watched a different game it seems. This thread is about the Carlton v Brisbane prelim today. Umps did Brisbane no favours.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Considering your last post and the fact Cripps received one free kick for the game.. I reckon you might of been watching a different game.

Blues had two hard-fought wins and ran out of petrol tickets by the end.

They should be chuffed with how this season turned around. A lot of good things to build on and some invaluable finals experience gained.

They'll be right at the pointy end next year.
Well put. I am appalled that some Lions' supporters are posting what a bunch of nuffies Carlton were. If that be the case, I can think of no better way to diminish the significance of our Prelim. win - they were crap, but how good were we to beat that mob of drongos?

Too many dickheads earlier laying into a clearly sore Crippa. Baggers with a well deserved rest now after Vossy got the best out of their quite frankly ordinary list. 5-7 list changes away from contending imo, top 4 next year not a certainty at all.

Didn't you say that your club would beat us as well?:grinv1: I'd say the Dees fans must have broken all their cheese boards in anger, after the final siren on Friday night.:laughv1:

No, I said Carlton won’t win this one
Still salty over last week mate?:grinv1: I think Carlton have made serious progress this year. We'll win a flag before you Melbourne cheeseboard eaters do imo.:)

Mate you support a club who's own members wanted to vote out of existence back in 1996 after all.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This “abyss” narrative is laughable.
Carlton we’re picked to make the 8 by most pundits.
So all you effectively did was slightly exceed expectations.
Have a look at how close any ‘pundits’ are with their pre-season guesses. using these as any sort of metric is laughable.

Ultimately, GWS and Carlton were absolutely in strife mid-season and both turned it around. Something many teams couldn’t do

Normally I’d sympathise with fellow clubs supporters when it comes to making the interstate migration for a big final due to the Airlines ridiculously greedy price hiking but in this case I hope qantas and virgin took all their blues customers to the cleaners !
They tried to initially . . .but then the VFL stepped in and used their media clout to shame them into dropping ticket prices to the price of a pack of chips. Then the VFL blocked Lions members from getting tickets and allocated 50% to Carlton fans. Lions earned a home prelim but VFL screwed us . . .hard.

Well done to Brisbane for responding after that terrible start, given the weight of previous finals failures.

Ultimately fronting up year after year, despite setbacks and disappointments, can pay off. Port 2001-2004, Geelong leading into the 2022 flag and now Brisbane (regardless of the result next weekend) are three examples.

'The Script' = 'Being the best two teams in the competition over the season, and trumping that form during the finals series'.
Brisbane have been more convincing. Collingwood have been plucky but I actually thought their 2022 finals was more impressive than 2023 (so far).

Obviously there's a big chance to change that next weekend but I'd say Collingwood have ran at 70% of their capacity. That will be enough against Brisbane bringing an underwhelming performance to Melbourne but not anything more.

Can Carlton fans explain why The Blues just bomb kicked it every chance they got to Brisbane? You'd think methodical kicking would have been critical in that second quarter when they had the 4 goal lead, they could have mentally taken Brisbane out it by controlling the ball.
GWS did the same during the second half against Collingwood. Fatigue and the occasion getting to a few is my best guess. If you lose territory from the source (clearances) in scrappy finals it can be difficult to not be in that "bomb it" mindset.

This “abyss” narrative is laughable.
Carlton we’re picked to make the 8 by most pundits.
So all you effectively did was slightly exceed expectations.
Nah mate we showed huge character to turn the ship around, after the Essendon defeat last June.

We seem to be building a house on some pretty sturdy foundations now imo. As long as i can pay the bills mate, then all is good.

I'm looking forward to watching the latest instalment of the Colliwobbles play out next week.;)

Last edited:
Well put. I am appalled that some Lions' supporters are posting what a bunch of nuffies Carlton were. If that be the case, I can think of no better way to diminish the significance of our Prelim. win - they were crap, but how good were we to beat that mob of drongos?
Agree
No one at the ground would have been saying Carlton were nuffies.
The atmosphere they helped create at the Gabba was arguably the best ever AFL game at the Gabba I'd say and I've been going for over 20 years.
I'd say as well, in person and on Big Footy, I found the Carlton supporters the best of any we've played, 0 bitterness, it was all "Please flog Collingwood next week"

Holy moly. Are you serious? We were cooked, ran off our legs by a fresh team. We just played two gruelling finals.

I swear some people here must get off on posting this kind of toxic crap.

I'm proud of Carlton tonight.
Yes you guys should be proud. Carlton had a sensational season, particularly where you were earlier in the season. Gave it an almighty shake. You'll get you're crack over the next season or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Preliminary Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 23rd 5:15pm EST (Gabba)

Back