AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

• Lions by a goal or less

• Swans by 7 - 20

• Lions by 7 - 20

• Swans by a lot

• Lions by a lot

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

More so than most years I'd say, whichever coach loses on the weekend will face utter devestation.

The reason being, both clubs have already experienced repeated finals and Grand Final heartbreak in recent years. So much so that another GF loss would seemingly be too much to bear.

Brisbane have essentially been a top 4 side for 6 years in a row now. In fact, during this period (since 2019), no coach has a better win/loss % than Fagan. Yes, even better than the ultra revered C Scott.

However, despite this sustained excellence (and obviously coming agonisingly close in 2023), they are obviously yet to win a flag with this group, with the Lion's last Premiership obviously being in 2003. Boy, does time fly!

The Lions have been up for a long time now, and with a number of other teams quickly rising and snapping at their heels, they must strike and seize this golden opportunity, which is in front of them. If they don't, this wonderful era could quickly come to an end with nothing to show for it.

Sydney has been a true AFL juggernaut in the 21st century, yet despite having won 2 Premierships in 2005 & 2012, they have also frustratingly lost 4 Grand Finals in this same period.

This is incredibly Longmire's 5th Grand final in 14 years in charge of the club, but he has only won 1 of them. A loss on Saturday would be 4 straight Grand Final losses for both Longmire and the Swans, since he and they last saluted in 2012.

Whilst this team has a lot of great young talent and a seemingly very bright future, as we all know, there are no guarantees that opportunities like this will come again.

My Tip: Swans by 23 🦢

Bit of a mixed bag of emotions today I suppose. I can't escape the dreadful feeling of how good Sydney have been this year. They have multiple weapons that can hurt all over the ground. Well rested and less travelled.

On the other hand we have been in some great form during parts of our finals and finally feel like a more even and less reliant on the superstars kinda team. You gotta be in it to win it and the boys are there. So why not.

My head is telling me to prep for a comfortable Sydney win. My heart is saying go get it. It's a bizarre feeling.

Well rested and less travelled.
Is that a good thing for the Swans? Fagee made a point of Geelong's lack of quality opposition in the lead up to the prelim.

Got a feeling the Lions might catch the Swans a little flat footed myself.

Is that a good thing for the Swans? Fagee made a point of Geelong's lack of quality opposition in the lead up to the prelim.

Got a feeling the Lions might catch the Swans a little flat footed myself.
I hope you and fages are right. Doesn't make me any less nervous tho.

More so than most years I'd say, whichever coach loses on the weekend will face utter devestation.

The reason being, both clubs have already experienced repeated finals and Grand Final heartbreak in recent years. So much so that another GF loss would seemingly be too much to bear.

Brisbane have essentially been a top 4 side for 6 years in a row now. In fact, during this period (since 2019), no coach has a better win/loss % than Fagan. Yes, even better than the ultra revered C Scott.

However, despite this sustained excellence (and obviously coming agonisingly close in 2023), they are obviously yet to win a flag with this group, with the Lion's last Premiership obviously being in 2003. Boy, does time fly!

The Lions have been up for a long time now, and with a number of other teams quickly rising and snapping at their heels, they must strike and seize this golden opportunity, which is in front of them. If they don't, this wonderful era could quickly come to an end with nothing to show for it.

Sydney has been a true AFL juggernaut in the 21st century, yet despite having won 2 Premierships in 2005 & 2012, they have also frustratingly lost 4 Grand Finals in this same period.

This is incredibly Longmire's 5th Grand final in 14 years in charge of the club, but he has only won 1 of them. A loss on Saturday would be 4 straight Grand Final losses for both Longmire and the Swans, since he and they last saluted in 2012.

Whilst this team has a lot of great young talent and a seemingly very bright future, as we all know, there are no guarantees that opportunities like this will come again.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Why utter devastation? Which city will be destroyed? Who will die?

We learnt from Clarko and then Dimma, and others in recent years, that reducing the catastrophic thinking and increasing the fun, joy, more carefree mental state can be the way to improvement.

After the 2012 GF loss Clarko was philosophical and undevastated, had quite a holistic life view with footy only a part of it. Dimma had his love-ins, and emotional connections. McCrae brought joy and celebration.

It's a game. Life goes on. Enjoy the moment.

Tom Elliott of 3AW fame discussed the presence of Josh Dunkley. That he was part of the Bulldogs fairytale 2017 win coming from way back, and these lions have a similar feeling. So if BLFC win, that's why.

If sydney win, it's because they've had more time off and are refreshed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We learnt from Clarko and then Dimma, and others in recent years, that reducing the catastrophic thinking and increasing the fun, joy, more carefree mental state can be the way to improvement.

After the 2012 GF loss Clarko was philosophical and undevastated, had quite a holistic life view with footy only a part of it. Dimma had his love-ins, and emotional connections. McCrae brought joy and celebration.

valid points. Same could be said when people try to link anzac day footy and its physical nature with war.

Brions have built back from a very difficult start well, their self confidence must be peaking.

This should be a great game.

I think the Swans will overcome Brisbane via midfield domination - Grundy will be key given Big-O’s injury.

Should be a great game.

Swans and Lions are great young teams that bring an exhilarating brand of footy to the G. It will be a great celebration of Australian Rules football.
I liked Hawks footy too, exciting, fast and skillful together with the Roos these teams are the sign of footy,s future.
I’ll barrack for the talented Lions reckon momentum and a little luck is on their side too, having lived in North Fitzroy and a Melbourian it’s go Lions.

Swans and Lions are great young teams that bring an exhilarating brand of footy to the G. It will be a great celebration of Australian Rules football.
I liked Hawks footy too, exciting, fast and skillful together with the Roos these teams are the sign of footy,s future.
I’ll barrack for the talented Lions reckon momentum and a little luck is on their side too, having lived in North Fitzroy and a Melbourian it’s go Lions.
Obviously I'm desperately craving a Swans win, but I'm delighted with this match-up, and for the advancement of the game nationwide I genuinely hope whoever wins, it's an absolute cracker of a game for neutrals.

Less. But at the same time I feel like I trust this group. If that makes sense.
I think you guys look a lot more settled with Zorko down back now and Daniher could stretch Sydney’s backline if he’s on. Genuine flip if the coin but I think after the class Brisbane showed after last year most Pies supporters are barracking for a Lions win. Not that that means much probably. 😂

I think you guys look a lot more settled with Zorko down back now and Daniher could stretch Sydney’s backline if he’s on. Genuine flip if the coin but I think after the class Brisbane showed after last year most Pies supporters are barracking for a Lions win. Not that that means much probably. 😂
We may need all the help we can get.

I am obviously speaking in football terms. Not true devastation per se.

True what you say about the others, but Clarko had the recent success of 2008 in the bag before he lost
1, and Dimma never lost 1, so I would think it would be a little easier to be more relaxed under those circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG) Teams in OP

Back