AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

• Lions by a goal or less

• Swans by 7 - 20

• Lions by 7 - 20

• Swans by a lot

• Lions by a lot

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

They say the team that wears Sunnies at the parade will lose (because protecting your vision is weak? Never got why) but both teams are wearing sunnies

what does it mean?

Extra time after extra time after extra time

Thus giving 7 what they really want a Twilight turned night time grand final to the death!!

My mind goes back to the 1990 GF and how everyone thought that Collingwood wouldn’t have the energy to last the match after their huge finals campaign including an extra game because of the draw against WCE.

There’s a perception that Sydney have cruised into the GF and Lions have done it tougher.

I think with Brisbane having played at the G last week and looking very sharp..and the fact they all want redemption for last years defeat..they will be more likely to go harder at the ball and get the job done.

Andrews at CHB is a major cog in the Lions machine and you’d expect he will control that defensive line and make sure Sydney’s forwards work hard to get opportunities to score.

Lions by 30

Zorko - Norm Smithy

The song will live on forever though..someone else with a great voice will take over to sing it

It won't be the same without Mike Brady singing it, could you imagine Katy Perry singing it instead, she wouldn't do it justice.

Amazing coincidences in Footy maybe Lions by a point. Last non-victorian granny was in 06 Swans vs Eagles I reckon Lions do to the swans after b2b grand finals and get the win.

Im just hoping we've learned from those previous near misses and floggings. Lot's of omens. Playing a side that finished outside the top 4, lost a GF two years prior and looking for redemption.

I think our speed, especially off the half back line and run through the corridor will hopefully see us through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am obviously speaking in football terms. Not true devastation per se.

True what you say about the others, but Clarko had the recent success of 2008 in the bag before he lost
1, and Dimma never lost 1, so I would think it would be a little easier to be more relaxed under those circumstances. Not having many failures already.
Fair enough, rapidfire.

Though I recall Clarko was under extreme pressure for finals failures in prev years, after 2008 promising a dynasty with a pretty plentiful list that kept failing.

Dimma was on the verge of being sacked, there was a new board challenge at the club including exchamps such as Brian Wood. I recall Tiges got smashed last game of 2016. It was bleak times.

Anyway, there is indeed dark times for losers, you're right about that, and the sooner losers step back into the light and regain optimism, the better.

Sydney's list is fitter, just off a rest, their prelim a canter rather than a struggle. Brisbane have a few out, they've had to travel a few times during the finals series - had to do it the hard way - and they have had to struggle and come back late in matches to take the lead; they need to surrender significant leads in order to make up the distance.

This game goes one of two ways.

Sydney bursts out to an early lead, but from there one of two things happen: Sydney maintain their lead, staying a solid six kicks away from Brisbane. Whenever Brisbane try and put pressure on them, they slow it down and go from end to end by foot faster than they can counter, finding goals through Amartey, McDonald. Brisbane mount a challenge in the final term, reducing the margin to within 20 points only for Papley to kick two in the final ten minutes to sew up the Norm Smith medal, and Sydney win.

Sydney don't come out like a house on fire, their form similar to early season in which they allowed sides to get the jump on them. Brisbane dominate clearance despite the lack of McInerney, and Daniher, Cameron and Bailey look extremely dangerous, with Heeney, Warner and Guiden not able to get separation. Brisbane get off to an early lead, around 20-40 points. Sydney get going courtesy of Grundy asserting dominance over the centre square, and 6-6-6 combined with fast, precise ball movement gets Sydney back within a kick by half time. From that point, it's an arm wrestle until halfway through the last term when one one of Papley or Heeney kicks the goal that puts Sydney two goals up, and Sydney just hold on from there.

TL;DR, I don't see Brisbane winning this.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG) Teams in OP

Back