AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

• Lions by a goal or less

• Swans by 7 - 20

• Lions by 7 - 20

• Swans by a lot

• Lions by a lot

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

5HrP3vk.png

AFL 23 predicts either a close win to the Lions or a Swans thrashing

Funny if it ends up being Sydney in a tight one or a Lions thrashing instead

:p
79 to 74 in a gf, that looks familiar..

Absolutely insane that Brisbane team gets to add Keidean Coleman, Levi Ashcroft, Tom Doedee, Oscar McInerney and Lincoln McCarthy into it on Round 1 2025

Dont think the fans should be too worried about Saturday. Another 5 years of GF appearances at a minimum. If they win on Saturday, it will begin the dynasty
Don't reckon the AFL will let them have 5 extra players in their team.

More so than most years I'd say, whichever coach loses on the weekend will face utter devestation.

The reason being, both clubs have already experienced repeated finals and Grand Final heartbreak in recent years. So much so that another GF loss would seemingly be too much to bear.

Brisbane have essentially been a top 4 side for 6 years in a row now. In fact, during this period (since 2019), no coach has a better win/loss % than Fagan. Yes, even better than the ultra revered C Scott.

However, despite this sustained excellence (and obviously coming agonisingly close in 2023), they are obviously yet to win a flag with this group, with the Lion's last Premiership obviously being in 2003. Boy, does time fly!

The Lions have been up for a long time now, and with a number of other teams quickly rising and snapping at their heels, they must strike and seize this golden opportunity, which is in front of them. If they don't, this wonderful era could quickly come to an end with nothing to show for it.

Sydney has been a true AFL juggernaut in the 21st century, yet despite having won 2 Premierships in 2005 & 2012, they have also frustratingly lost 4 Grand Finals in this same period.

This is incredibly Longmire's 5th Grand final in 14 years in charge of the club, but he has only won 1 of them. A loss on Saturday would be 4 straight Grand Final losses for both Longmire and the Swans, since he and they last saluted in 2012.

Whilst this team has a lot of great young talent and a seemingly very bright future, as we all know, there are no guarantees that opportunities like this will come again.

My Tip: Swans by 23 🦢
Agree.

To be honest, this is probably the main focus for me going into the game.

The losing team will, rightly or wrongly, face extreme scrutiny and will be in the record books as perennial losers.

It's weird really, that Longmire could be a premiership coach and coach a team into 4 GFs or whatever - yet be considered a failure.

It's the quirky nature of AFL footy culture, where it's a flag or nuthin'.

Agree.

The losing team will, rightly or wrongly, face extreme scrutiny and will be in the record books as perennial losers.

It's weird really, that Longmire could be a premiership coach and coach a team into 4 GFs or whatever - yet be considered a failure.

But would you rather be Longmire and taste success once out of x attempts

or a

Rossy Lyon and get close on several occasions but NEVER achieve the dream

??

Freomaniac

Let’s have a crack at this.

Predictions -
Premiers: Sydney Swans
Norm Smith: Robbie Fox
First Goal: Tom Papley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling Fort will contest the opening bounce with Grundy hitting him hard and doing it at every contest, wear Grundy down and swing Daniher into the ruck...
I'm watching the game in Brissie... hard to pick a winner unless Brisbane wear Grundy down...
heart says Brisbane, head says Swans...
Brisbane by 15 points...

Agree.

Yes, it seems very unfair in a way. This Premiership or bust mentality.

I personally think we need more recognition for the minor premiership. A proper trophy and ceremony for being the best team in the H&A, which I think is a great achievement in itself.

I think the winner receiving a large amount of prize money could help it build some prestige quite quickly.

If this was the case this year, Sydney would have already won the league, and would now he going for Premiership/Championship double. The ultimate.

Just because I have nothing better to do right now (other than work which I suppose I should be doing) here is a combined Sydney/Brisbane team

FB: Rampe, Andrews, Blakey
HB: Wilmot, McCartin, Zorko
C: Ashcroft, Warner, McCluggage
HF: Gulden, Daniher, Rayner
FF: Papley, Hipwood, Cameron
Foll: Grundy, Heeney, Neale
Int: Dunkley, Rowbottom, Berry, J.McInerney
Sub: Florent

All this Mills media beat up gives the impression the Swans have chalked up the win already. I hope Brisbane are building their resolve on that kind of thing and come out hot. Go Lions.

Just because I have nothing better to do right now (other than work which I suppose I should be doing) here is a combined Sydney/Brisbane team

FB: Rampe, Andrews, Blakey
HB: Wilmot, McCartin, Zorko
C: Ashcroft, Warner, McCluggage
HF: Gulden, Daniher, Rayner
FF: Papley, Hipwood, Cameron
Foll: Grundy, Heeney, Neale
Int: Dunkley, Rowbottom, Berry, J.McInerney
Sub: Florent
I'd have McDonald over Hipwood and be temped to slot Hayward in ahead of Cameron. Bailey over Berry too. Like you I rate Wilmot highly but Melican is a bloody gun defensively.
All subjective though, good effort

Anyone else with 1997 vibes vis a vis Crows finishing games strongly, upsetting the applecart?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG) Teams in OP

Back