Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 11 - Walyalup (Freo) v Pies Fri May 24th 6:10pm WST/8:10pm AEST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the complaining, we were on the end of one last year v Port Adelaide late in the game when the Port player dropped the ball at the stoppage and was penalised for not giving it to the ump.

You could argue it was a bit pedantic in that Sullivan getting up and giving the ball to the ump wouldn't have been any quicker than what he did. But it isn't the umps role to decide on what the players motive is.

If our players didn't know the rule they do now. We had far more incident we could control that played a big part in not winning than the one umpire decision.

I remember on SEN a few days ago, there was a discussion about how "Collingwood are the masters of creating subtle delays at stoppages to give themselves time to flood back and set up again".

Maybe the AFL became aware of this and decided they were going to make an example this week?

I had a similar thought. We also saw a Collingwood player (McCreery?) give away a 50 for trying to hold onto the ball too long after being caught HTB. Should've been another 50 in truth, because McCreery decided to bump the advancing player.

Even if the clock is stopped, time wasting to give your teammates an opportunity to set up defensively is still an advantage.

Last edited:
Both sides probably only have themselves to blame. 0.4 or 0.5 in a quarter helped neither course.
This is what disappoints me most about the game today.

In an age of micro-analysis, statistical-overload and elaborate training, it's almost unfathomable that the art of set-shot kicking, which affects the most important stat of all, isn't paid the attention it ought to be.

How is it that Jye Amiss' horrible turtle-like shuufle, which generates infinitesimal momentum if any, hasn't been corrected yet? If anything, it appears to be getting worse each week.

Pies stuffed up by trying to ice the game with 12 minutes to go. Expect they'll learn from that.
Like the Adelaide game last week or the Hawthorn game. Suppose you have to not win one before you learn.

Found it funny when the commentators suggested we don't want to do what Hawthorn did and try and shut the game down too early. Did they happen to miss our game last week. The only difference was we still had 2 minutes left on the clock after Adelaide hit the front.

You're not English by any chance?

My comment was taken the wrong.

I was going into the game expecting a loss, a big loss at that.

From Collingwood's 22, missing from last nights game was:

De Goey
Elliott
Hoskin-Elliott
Howe
Mitchell
McStay

McInnes out and would have made a difference, he's borderline 22.

Cox concussion, didn't play the second half, messed up our structure.

Mihocek hamstring, didn't play the last quarter.

Pendlebury bicep, didn't play a lot of the last quarter.

From Fremantle's 22, missing from last nights game was:

Frederick

So to be in the position we were, played the way we did, I take that as a win.

If you said before the game it would be a draw I would be pretty happy.

The way it panned out, being in the drivers seat with 10 minutes to go, of course it's a bit sour.

Any decent team would have smashed the living shit out of Collinwood last night.
And that's what I thought was going to happen.

To me, last night says a couple things:

1: Fremantle aren't anywhere near as good as I and others thought.

2: Collingwood's recruiting has been bang on the last couple years.

Last edited:
You should be more concerned about your team and it’s cavalcade of mediocre turnips who consistently let you down with their pathetic attempts at hardness and ruthlessness at the ball.

You know who those players are..and if you don’t acknowledge them ..then you are completely delusional and living in Wonka land.
Are you describing the "Essendon edge" here?

I remember on SEN a few days ago, there was a discussion about how "Collingwood are the masters of creating subtle delays at stoppages to give themselves time to flood back and set up again".

Maybe the AFL became aware of this and decided they were going to make an example this week?
They deliberately did a 6-6-6 at the end of last years grand final to get an advantage when Brisbane got up. All within the rules, but they are the masters of getting everything they can out of set plays. Nicholls obviously thought they were taking the piss.

Collingwood: Record in WA

win-loss-draw

Optus Stadium: 6-4-1
Subiaco: 9-17
WACA: 0-4

Total: 15-25-1
Win Strike Rate: 37.8%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My comment was taken the wrong.

I was going into the game expecting a loss, a big loss at that.

From Collingwood's 22, missing from last nights game was:

De Goey
Elliott
Hoskin-Elliott
Howe
Mitchell
McStay

McInnes out and would have made a difference, he's borderline 22.

Cox concussion, didn't play the second half, messed up our structure.

Mihocek hamstring, didn't play the last quarter.

Pendlebury bicep, didn't play a lot of the last quarter.

From Fremantle's 22, missing from last nights game was:

Frederick

So to be in the position we were, played the way we did, I take that as a win.

If you said before the game it would be a draw I would be pretty happy.

The way it panned out, being in the drivers seat with 10 minutes to go, of course it's a bit sour.

Any decent team would have smashed the living s**t out of Collinwood last night.
And that's what I thought was going to happen.

To me, last night says a couple things:

1: Fremantle aren't anywhere near as good as I and others thought.

2: Collingwood's recruiting has been bang on the last couple years.
Most on here had Collingwood finishing top 4 and Freo somewhere between 12-16 so you rating Freo is an exception. We had a younger team out there last night, a clearly underdone Darcy and cooked Walters and Fyfe. Add to that our usual dysfunctional forward line and no Cox and Freddy I think our young team did well getting 2 points out of the game. Pies usually smash us but they're just not as good as what most people think.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Sullivan free wasn’t contentious. Clear free. The contentious one was not calling back the clear touched quaynor ball. I think they just let it play because the pies were up by so much.
The 'clearly touched Quaynor ball' that Quaynor himself said he didn't touch? I think you're just making stuff up.

Hawthorn being the best team at the MCG won them those flags. They also played 2 WA teams that only made GFs because of how good they were in Perth. As for 2014 that just goes to show how overrated the Tippett and Buddy combo was and how lucky Sydney were to make the GF. Sydney were the team they were because of their midfield and defence that made them hard to score against.

The weird thing for me is that a player as good as Buddy was could end up leaving 2 clubs and make them better the following year because of it. The problem when you're that good is that you tend to draw the ball at the expense of teammates in better positions. Now that Buddy isn't there, we're seeing Sydney forced to kick to the best option a lot more. The same thing happened to Hawthorn.

Re-wind, one of those WA teams made it to a grand final, by playing a final at Geelong. The only final that has ever been played at Geelong. An advantage, nup.

Most on here had Collingwood finishing top 4 and Freo somewhere between 12-16 so you rating Freo is an exception. We had a younger team out there last night, a clearly underdone Darcy and cooked Walters and Fyfe. Add to that our usual dysfunctional forward line and no Cox and Freddy I think our young team did well getting 2 points out of the game. Pies usually smash us but they're just not as good as what most people think.

Mate, Freo got smashed in the 3rd q by essentially a VFL team, stop drinking the cool aid.

Freo had 1 out that would be in their 22, Collingwood had 6 out, plus 3 men down in the last quarter.

The team that a full strength Freo DREW against, was not the team people had/have finishing top 4, got it?

Bookies had Freo @ $1.50 and Pies were $2.30, most people here had Freo winning, and they didn't.

I thought going in Freo were a decent young team, turns out I was wrong, they're boring, slow and weak.

Mate, Freo got smashed in the 3rd q by essentially a VFL team, stop drinking the cool aid.

Freo had 1 out that would be in their 22, Collingwood had 6 out, plus 3 men down in the last quarter.

The team that a full strength Freo DREW against, was not the team people had/have finishing top 4, got it?

Bookies had Freo @ $1.50 and Pies were $2.30, most people here had Freo winning, and they didn't.

I thought going in Freo were a decent young team, turns out I was wrong, they're boring, slow and weak.
The goat doesn’t play vfl
You had at least 15 reigning AFL premiership players in the team.
Your showing disrespect to both teams with your comment.

Taking this well I see.

Freo fielded a younger and less experienced team than Collingwood. You're in denial and your team will be lucky to play finals let alone go back to back. Seems like I'm not the one on the Kool aid, no big expectations on Freo this year.

"AA lock" Ryan does some stupid things, or at least executes poorly a fair bit when he isn't bombing down the line.
He's not much chop as a 1 on 1 defender.

I'll pay you the 3 man down situation which hampered you on the night but pull the other one regarding who you had out. JDG, Elliott and at a stretch Mitchell were key outs. The others are role players and replaceable. Your injuries have been way overblown in the media not even close to the worse hit teams. Plenty of premiership players were out there. The 3 injuries on the night cost you not who you had out before the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 11 - Walyalup (Freo) v Pies Fri May 24th 6:10pm WST/8:10pm AEST (OS)

Back