Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 6 - Crows v Bombers Fri April 19th 7:40pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Bombers by a lot

• Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly based on that first quarter, Essendon had clear holding the ball calls not being given. Honestly don’t feel there should be outrage that in the dying moments a free should be given to Adelaide.

Adelaide should really be 0-6 this season, Nicks is a good coach but it’s gone horribly this year for them.

But you want a captains call… how does that work when an Adelaide player gets caught holding the ball with a minute to go and the umpire calls plays on? The game just stops does it?

I hope they never bring it in. None of the fast moving sports have worked out review. Tennis and cricket are sort of on top of it but nearly every other sport has been worse off with reviews.

If they do I assume you'd only be able to review decisions. So a play on call would be non-reviewable. The Cottrell phantom mark would be able to be reviewed as a decision was made and would be overturned as touched. Tonight's would be able to reviewed as the umpire called ball up and overturned.

comedy fan GIF by CollingwoodFC
Never gets old.

I'd rather my team lose off the back of the right decision being made.

you did lose of your own back...

you got utterly destroyed... Essendon were +20 inside 50's and we kicked 18 behinds...........That is a demolition.

The only "should have" you should be concerned about is how you were even within 40 points at the end.

I think Draper got away with it due to the good bloke rule.

The umpires just used their discretion on when to apply it.

Dill to make a statement tomorrow, "We would have liked that to have been holding the ball but under the current rules we're OK with it".

"We will review all the rules at the end of the year where we will change them again to suit ourselves".

Yes. And if the challenge is overruled the other team gets 50m.

And as long as humans are involved there will be mistakes and people will complain.

Why don’t we strip the game back and make it easier to officiate rather than adding more rules and interpretations and protocols. It’s already tough enough as it is for the umpires.

A captains challenge or unlimited umpire reviews in the last 2 minutes (as if those decisions are more important than the first 118 minutes) are just dumb ideas. Anyone who wants that type of thing implemented hasn’t actually thought about what it would look like at all.

I hate this narrative of “you’d be brave to call that in the last minute”. Not if it’s a clear violation of the rules. I understand letting marginal things slide but that was clear as day and has directly impacted the result
Collingwood always do that and they never get pinned.

Vision post game showing Draper knew exactly what he was doing. Ump was a coward

He was re-enacting the play,
if you watch it again, he lands on the ball high under his chest, arms back, and had 2 guys on the back of him,
reality was probably that it was just awkward to get the ball away, plus he wouldn't have wanted it to, so milked it a bit too.
it's a 50/50 call for either team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i don't think you can argue "should of's"

Crows "shouldn't of" even been within 40 points

we had +20 inside 50's and kicked 10:18 ffs.....

Should of isn't a thing.

Again, this isn't a question of which side played better. I don't see why poor umpiring gets excused because of one team being worse. If you want to play that game then as you say Essendon should be way further in front and not make it an issue. That's not the point you think it is.

No-one is claiming we played better. Im happy to lose because its one game close to the end of Nicks and this shitty gameplan.

I wanted a free against Tex, that staging was embarrassing and against the spirit of the game/HTB. Absolutely wish that was a free against.

That doesn't mean that at the end in that situation we shouldn't have had a kick to win it.
yeah it was probably a free at the end to win it. But that's disregarding everything that happened before it. If Essendon kicked straight you would've lost by 5 goals

i don't think you can argue "should of's"

Crows "shouldn't of" even been within 40 points

we had +20 inside 50's and kicked 10:18 ffs.....
This line of thinking is terrible. Crows shouldn’t have been within 40? Sure. But that’s the Bombers fault. The actual result of the game, regardless of stats, was decided by a 3rd party that Adelaide had no control over

I hate it. We see it time and again (Pies v Giants prelim a classic example), get within 10 points with a few minutes to go and it’s like we’re playing a different sport.

The problem is it massively favours the team in front, do whatever you can outside the rules to keep the ball in tight and pretty much as long as you don’t belt someone (although even then sometimes you’re fine…) you win the game.
Probably should have been in the back free for Draper.

I wonder if Stevic had any say in it. I remember a few years ago “NO! Use common sense”.
Where was he standing? We need to see where all 4 umpires were standing.

The controlling umpire has only 40 odd games experience. It's clear his inexperience has caused him to stuff up.

We were outplayed, poor kicking kept us in it and of course you won't get the calls late in the game especially if you are the underdog non VIC side.

Josh Rachelle was dreadful. He made some very poor decisions then he tried to win it but missed a rushed attempt at goal.

Essendon = celebrating like you have won a premiership because of a missed call aint going to get you anywhere. Calm the heck down, there is still a long season ahead for you.

But remember what happened after beating Adelaide last year, your season fell apart very quickly. You haven't won a final since 2004, you have been through some tough times I know that.

Now prove yourselves wrong and start playing like this every week. Talent wise you are good enough. It showed tonight.

Even if Adelaide stole the game it still would have been difficult to make the finals, it is a long way back from 0-4 and home ground advantage means NOTHING. Teams are going to come over here and play inspired footy.

After North we play:
Port
Brisbane
Collingwood

It's almost impossible, even if we won tonight.

Should of isn't a thing.

Again, this isn't a question of which side played better. I don't see why poor umpiring gets excused because of one team being worse. If you want to play that game then as you say Essendon should be way further in front and not make it an issue. That's not the point you think it is.

you are playing a should have game.

Should you have got the free? Maybe?

Should you have even been in the position to win the game? No.

It was Essendon vs Essendon tonight. Had crows won we could have sold it as Oceans 14. Would have been an utter robbery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 6 - Crows v Bombers Fri April 19th 7:40pm AEST (AO)

Back