Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would it be safe to assume the only reason this hasn't been approved is because its broken?

Seems a familiar story with this game unfortunately.
Realistically, what's the alternative?

That platform holders are just slow? The amount of other games that add entire modes without missing a release date seem to contradict this.

Back when Psyonix (Rocket League) was a small indie dev they'd be adding modes and licensed cars/accessories all the time and never missed a date.

And honestly, if the platform holders do take this long to approve a mode, then what were Big Ant doing with the last 16 months instead of pre-arranging timelines with the platform holders? And that wouldn't be a coder's job so "fixing the game" isn't applicable.

Last edited:
Realistically, what's the alternative?

That platform holders are just slow? The amount of other games that add entire modes without missing a release date seem to contradict this.

Back when Psyonix was a small indie dev they'd be adding modes and licensed cars/accessories all the time and never missed a date.

And honestly, if the platform holders do take this long to approve a mode, then what were Big Ant doing with the last 16 months instead of pre-arranging timelines with the platform holders? And that wouldn't be a coder's job so "fixing the game" isn't applicable.

It's the same exact story as when they threw Xbox under the bus at release. Unfortunately, they still have an army of simps willing to believe their rubbish.

Have you tried the quick charge shot button ?
I have this issue with normal shots but I always forget the quick shot option they added.
Oh really? Had no idea.

Is anyone else a little perplexed at the lack of variations in tackling and marking animations?? Didn't AFL Live even have a leading chest-mark??
if there is one criticism about the game, it's that and the gameplay refinement just isn't there yet. You don't feel like you really control the ability to mark as a lot of it comes down to how tall a player is and their player rating too. However you do feel like you have more control over a defensive interception or knock ball away, so maybe marking isn't meant to be that easy.
I honestly still think AFL 98/99 had the best marking mechanics.

Pressing the mark button would launch the player immediately into the air and it felt like you actually had control. Feel like all games since have ruined this part of the game.

Spoiling in the game is also way too easy. I’ve noticed even if I haven’t selected the player under the ball, using spoil would still trigger that player to spoil.

Oh really? Had no idea.

I honestly still think AFL 98/99 had the best marking mechanics.

Pressing the mark button would launch the player immediately into the air and it felt like you actually had control. Feel like all games since have ruined this part of the game.

Spoiling in the game is also way too easy. I’ve noticed even if I haven’t selected the player under the ball, using spoil would still trigger that player to spoil.
AFL 99 had great “feeling” speckys and I reckon AFL23 does that as well (even if they are a little OP)

No game has really ever got contested marking right, Evo 2 did some good things in that area but even that was clunky.

AFL 99 had great “feeling” speckys and I reckon AFL23 does that as well (even if they are a little OP)

No game has really ever got contested marking right, Evo 2 did some good things in that area but even that was clunky.
I'd love for speckys to need next-to-perfect timing, and have anything else drop the ball or give away a free... as in real life, there's early/late jumpers that give away unrealistic attempt free kicks... so having that in a game (requiring perfect timing, perfect positioning etc.) and punishing anything else would hopefully make it less OP.

I reckon all AFL games have gone down the path of 'but these are exciting moments and we want to show them'... meaning the animations happen far too often. Whereas I reckon what would really make them special is getting that rare, absolutely perfect moment to happen.

I'd love for speckys to need next-to-perfect timing, and have anything else drop the ball or give away a free... as in real life, there's early/late jumpers that give away unrealistic attempt free kicks... so having that in a game (requiring perfect timing, perfect positioning etc.) and punishing anything else would hopefully make it less OP.

I reckon all AFL games have gone down the path of 'but these are exciting moments and we want to show them'... meaning the animations happen far too often. Whereas I reckon what would really make them special is getting that rare, absolutely perfect moment to happen.
Yep, agree with this.

A lot of people abuse the specky online but there’s no realistic way that a player can defend against someone jumping on their shoulders, so perfect timing is the only way to balance it really.

Completely agree with this. A bit like getting an ankle breaker on NBA 2K, should take both timing and user skill to execute.

Lets be real here as good as it sounds Big Ant wouldn’t be able to provide this given they can’t even meet their own deadlines set by themselves. “Roadmap” my ass. ****ing joke of a company

Specky should never be a button. It should be a contextual thing that just happens if the situation is right.
How would that even work?

As the player, I have to choose whether I want to attempt a specky or not, I don’t want to go for a normal mark and have my player leaping for a specky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the player, I have to choose whether I want to attempt a specky or not, I don’t want to go for a normal mark and have my player leaping for a specky
Perhaps if when a specky situation arises you can choose to try a specky or just take a normal mark.

Example if a situation happens where a specky can take place, an indicator pops above the player's head who can attempt it and then it's your choice to try and time the specky or just mark normally

Perhaps if when a specky situation arises you can choose to try a specky or just take a normal mark.

Example if a situation happens where a specky can take place, an indicator pops above the player's head who can attempt it and then it's your choice to try and time the specky or just mark normally
I also think we need genuine packs forming around the ground to make it even harder. One player jumping over another is one thing, but when you have 8 other blokes to contest against, the difficulty of a specky should then dramatically increase. With how open the game currently is, it’s a fine line with timing a specky because if you master it, it can still be OP/abused Online

I also think we need genuine packs forming around the ground to make it even harder. One player jumping over another is one thing, but when you have 8 other blokes to contest against, the difficulty of a specky should then dramatically increase. With how open the game currently is, it’s a fine line with timing a specky because if you master it, it can still be OP/abused Online
I’d love to be able to have a big forward charge at a pack, leap for the specky, crash the pack and have it affect all players like a bowling ball knocking over pins.

I’d love to be able to have a big forward charge at a pack, leap for the specky, crash the pack and have it affect all players like a bowling ball knocking over pins.
Would rather see this than ProTeam tbh. Could have released ProTeam in their next game and also been able to refine and improve the contested play based on user feedback.
I understand the want for a ProTeam because let’s be honest, every Dev and their dog really only wants the extra cash made from Micro Transactions, but in this case I feel like the gameplay and management mode should have been the main priorities especially because they really needed to win the trust of the fans. Instead, they’ve done the complete opposite and won’t maximise the potential of ProTeam.

In my mind it would just be a different marking animation that plays if it meets the requirements for the specky animation. Nothing special about it.

It should be an ability, but if you don't get a proper run up or don't aim for the back correctly it messes everything up and ends in a free kick.
Like this. So like 5 star skilled players in EAFC, only certain skill moves can be done… in this case, only really known leaders with the Speccy ability.
(Or maybe that enhances their chance to be in the right location, or help with their timing).

Like this. So like 5 star skilled players in EAFC, only certain skill moves can be done… in this case, only really known leaders with the Speccy ability.
(Or maybe that enhances their chance to be in the right location, or help with their timing).
It should be like real life where it's possible whenever, but it needs to be done properly where you time it right and get a proper right up on someone's back. There really should be a juggling mechanic in AFL games, not the same one attempt catch or drop.

It should be like real life where it's possible whenever, but it needs to be done properly where you time it right and get a proper right up on someone's back. There really should be a juggling mechanic in AFL games, not the same one attempt catch or drop.

Yeah I agree, timing should be a huge factor in executing it successfully also. Maybe it can still be a designated button with a modifier (eg. L1 + Triangle) but if the player isn't in proper position it just attempts a regular mark..?

Yeah I agree, timing should be a huge factor in executing it successfully also. Maybe it can still be a designated button with a modifier (eg. L1 + Triangle) but if the player isn't in proper position it just attempts a regular mark..?
Modifiers, and consequences if not done properly (block or unrealistic free kick).

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back