Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you unlock game modes? It seems to only with paid coins which I really hope is my n00bness talking.

Sorry I'm sure it in the instructions but logic dictates they will dance around any 'gotta pay' messaging.
Ladder Leaders need to be unlocked with a Card.

You can get that card by getting up to Level 5 in the Season Progression (i.e level 5 of XP earned in games).

How do you unlock game modes? It seems to only with paid coins which I really hope is my n00bness talking.

Sorry I'm sure it in the instructions but logic dictates they will dance around any 'gotta pay' messaging.
That mode you speak of, once you hit level 5 in the season pass you unlock a token to access ladder leaders

No need to pay if you're happy to play and level up

Havenā€™t played ProTeam yet so Iā€™ll leave that for another post but I played 1 game on hardest and the gameplay has definitely taken another step in the right direction.

Most noticeably, running patterns. There was a couple of times I intercepted the ball at half back and I had players streaming through the middle to link up for handballs and none of them ran in weird directions. Was really satisfying to pull this off.
Fumbles, I noticed there was a lot more fumbles. Even from handballs out of congestion, the receiving player would sometimes put it to ground. Just another nice touch imo
Difficulty. The only game I played (on hardest) I lost by 30 odd on 5 mins qtrs. The most Iā€™ve ever lost by prior to this was under 10 points and even then, Iā€™ve probably lost 4-5 games since it came out.
AI opposition. No more kick to kick in the backline (yay) and the movement is a lot more fast paced and direct.

However, thereā€™s 2 big issues which contributed to the difficulty being harder.
Tackling and marking.
So many times my players should have tackled the opposition (being within arms length on many occasions) and theyā€™d just stand there. Extremely frustrating as tackling is one of those mechanics thatā€™s gotten better and worse on multiple occasions. They canā€™t seem to find that happy medium.
With marking, itā€™s almost impossible to mark a 50/50 ball. In fact, I donā€™t think I won a single one. Only when I had loose players, I actually marked it

Aside from those 2, general gameplay feels like itā€™s in a much better position. They REALLY need to fix those 2 issues however as the enjoyment will be sucked out of the game if it stays like this

From what I have seen bits and pieces the card stuff in theory looks ok graphically and the way it is designed but far out I don't know how anyone can get past that gameplay it still looks horrendous.

I know some people are going to enjoy it because they just put up with the game play but man it does nothing to say wow got to get this game now.

Regardless if it's ARF on the nes
AFL 98/99 on pc

The AFL LIVE 03-04 games
EVO 1-2

or AFL 23

I relish the chance to belt Sydney/Geelong/Essendon :p

That said I'm on a downward trend and spending less time on the game once again. If this patch wrecks the game play (or forces yet another process of learning how to counter the broken AI yet again) I'll probably uninstall it on both platforms!!

One thing I "dislike" is (due to the controls and not having full 1:1 control of your highlighted player??) It's not easy to direct play EXACTLY how I'd like. For example I'm at the stage now where to make goal kicking challenging I'm TRYING to take extreme angled shots at goal. But it doesn't always let me.

One funny instance was getting a free kick right on the behind post. Knew I was going to just boot it straight back out on the full. So I just chip passed it for a goal on the run instead.

Have to laugh that people were so excited for this rubbish šŸ¤£ Hows it taken them a year to release this crap.

Iā€™ll reserve my judgment on Pro Team until I play it but so far between here and the BA forums, seeing (yet again) the overwhelming comments on things not working or even loading is baffling. They shouldā€™ve focused on getting the game to its apex mechanically before stressing over Pro Team, whats another 6 months to wait anyhow šŸ˜…

Thank
Ladder Leaders need to be unlocked with a Card.

You can get that card by getting up to Level 5 in the Season Progression (i.e level 5 of XP earned in games).

That mode you speak of, once you hit level 5 in the season pass you unlock a token to access ladder leaders

No need to pay if you're happy to play and level up

Thank you kindly gents.

Happy 14-month-aversary to all the posters on here saying how much they hate the game. I know time is precious, maybe we could just sticky a poll at the top. ie.

I hate AFL 23 because:-
[] Evo 2 / AFL 2004 / NES Footy was better
[] BA are terrible and WW were awesome
[] I don't know I just hate the game and need to tell people.
[] Some people say it's playable and that offends my sensibilities

You feel the need to tell everyone:
[] Weekly
[] Daily
[] Every ten minutes
[] Other (units in seconds will be rounded up)

Just a suggestion. Lol rage rrrr how could I it's a free world etc. Point taken. So....the game is crap then?

bro how do you mark, i get outmarked in 90% of contests off and online. the guide says to press just after the controller vibration but my key defenders literally get outmarked by small forwards in worse positions constantly.

am i just bad or is marking hard to master?

bro how do you mark, i get outmarked in 90% of contests off and online. the guide says to press just after the controller vibration but my key defenders literally get outmarked by small forwards in worse positions constantly.

am i just bad or is marking hard to master?
Wasnā€™t an issue for me at all prior to this patch but itā€™s definitely almost impossible now. At least on Hardest anyways

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iā€™ll reserve my judgment on Pro Team until I play it but so far between here and the BA forums, seeing (yet again) the overwhelming comments on things not working or even loading is baffling. They shouldā€™ve focused on getting the game to its apex mechanically before stressing over Pro Team, whats another 6 months to wait anyhow šŸ˜…
Bugs not being ironed out when youve delayed something for over 13 months isnt acceptable really, can understand why people are frustrated.

Random observation - the game feels a lot more "slowly" and floaty in a sense. Not quite like when I experimented and put the AI/USER speeds at 10-20 but close to it.

Umpires whistle now gets blown a second or so after the mark is taken ? used to it being "instant"

It's good that the AI is now doing something different, but they shouldn't be programmed to do that ONE thing (in this instance short chip kick passes) 99.9% of the time. I've already telegraphed it and stolen the ball several times :p

They should add a ball physics slider, I'd love a sling shot footy - reminding me of some classic rocket league encounters and early Fifa "cheat mode".

• I am losing every game at least 50-0
  • I lose every contested mark despite timing it ā€˜correctlyā€™
  • my players consistently spoil instead of taking uncontested marks despite me clicking triangle
-my players refuse to pick up the ball off the ground and let the opponent mids run straight out of the middle
- there is always at least 3 opponents open yet when i happen to get a possesion im completely locked up

is there a meta tactic or something or am i just really bad? having a very frustrating day losing all 7 games and scoring in only two of them

any help is appreciated

• I am losing every game at least 50-0
  • I lose every contested mark despite timing it ā€˜correctlyā€™
  • my players consistently spoil instead of taking uncontested marks despite me clicking triangle
-my players refuse to pick up the ball off the ground and let the opponent mids run straight out of the middle
- there is always at least 3 opponents open yet when i happen to get a possesion im completely locked up

is there a meta tactic or something or am i just really bad? having a very frustrating day losing all 7 games and scoring in only two of them

any help is appreciated
What difficulty ?
Contested marks seem pretty broken atm so donā€™t stress about that

Your players will spoil if you move the right stick so try and avoid touching it when attempting to mark
As for player positioning, maybe try the ā€˜locateā€™ tactic so they play man on man. Running a zone means you run the risk of your opponent having loose players, but likewise you should have loose players if on the counter attack

What difficulty ?
Contested marks seem pretty broken atm so donā€™t stress about that

Your players will spoil if you move the right stick so try and avoid touching it when attempting to mark
As for player positioning, maybe try the ā€˜locateā€™ tactic so they play man on man. Running a zone means you run the risk of your opponent having loose players, but likewise you should have loose players if on the counter attack
ive been playing online pro team games

the spoiling this is most frustrating, i only hit triangle and my wide open player will punch the ball towards the boundary line. i do play man on man, but every clearance goes to a 3v1 in my opponentā€™s favour.

i redownloaded the game for pro team but that delete button is tempting me at the moment

ive been playing online pro team games

the spoiling this is most frustrating, i only hit triangle and my wide open player will punch the ball towards the boundary line. i do play man on man, but every clearance goes to a 3v1 in my opponentā€™s favour.

i redownloaded the game for pro team but that delete button is tempting me at the moment
Someone mentioned the spoiling thing happened to them, and they found their controller had stick drift, so was registering a right analog push.
Maybe try another controller is you have one.

I am enjoying these load menus

With exception to the main menu/start screen (when the footy logo animates on the bottom left) I haven't really noticed any menu slowness.

I'd like to see a "disable interchange notification" option - the new interchange information pop up is too distracting to the game. If they have to have it, it should be center on the bottom (lined up with the score HUD and the action hud that alerts for marks/free kicks etc).

And Luke Bruest still doesn't look like Luke Bruest - even the Lego head version in the Evo games looked more like him!!!!

** Sometimes the goal celebration animation "pauses" before it kicks into gear - it's like the background animates (advertising signboards move around) before the players in the foreground move shortly after.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back