Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t want us to draft another midfielder who can’t come in and play forward/wing/ back right away. Hobbs and tsatas have had their development burnt because of their inability to play anywhere else and not having the midfield opportunities.

Still think both will be solid afl mids given that opportunity

CLUBS TRIAL IRISH TALENTS

TWO Irish AFL hopefuls will trial at clubs next week in bids to win spots as Category B rookies.

Derry star Eoin McEvoy and Irish under-20 rugby talent Davy Colbert will arrive in Australia this week ahead of a period where they will push to get on an AFL list.

The pair are being brought out by the AFL having tested well in training sessions in Ireland, with Colbert, 20, having played for Ireland in the under-20 rugby World Cup in South Africa while also featuring in the Gaelic competition.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

McEvoy, 21, is considered an emerging star of the Gaelic competition.

The duo will train alongside the under-17s Futures squad later this week and attend the Grand Final on Saturday before trialling at a number of clubs next week – including Essendon, Melbourne and Geelong – before meeting more clubs at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine the following week where they will take part in testing. – Callum Twomey

Colbert sounds like someone we should absolutely be interested in to fill a Cat B slot. Plays as a winger or full back in Union according to my quick google and clicking on various links. Now I know close to nothing about either code but the full back marks the ball, right?

Colbert sounds like someone we should absolutely be interested in to fill a Cat B slot. Plays as a winger or full back in Union according to my quick google and clicking on various links. Now I know close to nothing about either code but the full back marks the ball, right?

Sort of. Rugby union doesn’t have much contested marking.

Fullbacks are your 3rd running/creative player. AFL equivalent is half back flank.

Their job is largely to insert themself as an overlap runner or to create an overlap. They are also generally speaking one of the 3 designated kickers (players trusted to feild kick)

Sort of. Rugby union doesn’t have much contested marking.

Fullbacks are your 3rd running/creative player. AFL equivalent is half back flank.

Their job is largely to insert themself as an overlap runner or to create an overlap. They are also generally speaking one of the 3 designated kickers (players trusted to feild kick)
Neither does League I thought? But they're the ones stuck under a high ball?

Neither does League I thought? But they're the ones stuck under a high ball?

League tends to use wing’s in contested highball “marking” situations when close to the goal line.

Union typically doesn’t. The reason for this is union has unlimited tackles so they can just keep building pressure close to the goal line where as in league you have to take risks on the last.

But yeah I’m both sports fullback and Wing are the ones stuck under the highball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can do that but it ain't happening.
Eh. The difference between him, Smith, O'Sullivan and the others are very small. It's a definite chance.

This feels a bit like 2016 where of the top 30 only 9 have yet to reach 100 games (of which only 4 will definitely not get there). A good year to have multiple picks in the first round (like Brisbane who converted that into McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Cox). I'd love to get another first and hope that our pick, Kako and maybe Shanahan will have a similar effect.

Eh. The difference between him, Smith, O'Sullivan and the others are very small. It's a definite chance.

This feels a bit like 2016 where of the top 30 only 9 have yet to reach 100 games (of which only 4 will definitely not get there). A good year to have multiple picks in the first round (like Brisbane who converted that into McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Cox). I'd love to get another first and hope that our pick, Kako and maybe Shanahan will have a similar effect.

Richmond have had boys running through their VFL team of the same tier as Draper who won't be a risk of wanting to go home later.

I reckon Draper is every chance of ending up at Adelaide.

Will Ashcroft has hardly been given crazy onball opportunity but is still offering plenty as a starting forward who pushes into stoppages

Part of the issue where that doesnt work aswell for Tsatas and Hobbs is that we dont have Cameron, Lohmann and L.McCarthy/Bailey (This also allows them 3 talls + Rayner)

I really think we might have to revisit the Zac Merrett to half back again next year

Have Durham, Parish and Caldwell as the main 3 mids then try have Tsatas and Hobbs as the .5 onball and .5 high forward each. I still worry that Hobbs is probably no good as a CBA mid now

A bit depends on who our 1st rounder is this year, they and Kako need to be played from week 1 off a preseason (Unless Armstrong)

Mcgrath - Mckay - Ridley
Redman - Z.Reid - Zerrett (Bo Allen)

Duursma - Parish - Nic Martin (Perkins Wing)
Bryan - Durham - Caldwell (Tsatas)

Davey - Caddy - Hobbs
Kako - 2MP - Langford (Draper)

CBAs:
Durham 80
Caldwell 80
Parish 70
Tsatas 50
Nic Martin 20

Is probably the way id like us to be going

Last edited:
Will Ashcroft has hardly been given crazy onball opportunity but is still offering plenty as a starting forward who pushes into stoppages

Part of the issue where that doesnt work aswell for Tsatas and Hobbs is that we dont have Cameron, Lohmann and L.McCarthy/Bailey (This also allows them 3 talls + Rayner)

I really think we might have to revisit the Zac Merrett to half back again next year

Have Durham, Parish and Caldwell as the main 3 mids then try have Tsatas and Hobbs as the .5 onball and .5 high forward each. I still worry that Hobbs is probably no good as a CBA mid now

A bit depends on who our 1st rounder is this year, they and Kako need to be played from week 1 off a preseason (Unless Armstrong)

Mcgrath - Mckay - Ridley
Redman - Z.Reid - Zerrett (Bo Allen)

Duursma - Parish - Nic Martin (Perkins Wing)
Bryan - Durham - Caldwell (Tsatas)

Davey - Caddy - Hobbs
Kako - 2MP - Langford (Draper)

CBAs:
Durham 80
Caldwell 80
Parish 70
Tsatas 50
Nic Martin 20

Is probably the way id like us to be going
Would not be against letting Merrett play more half back.

If we’re going to move Merrett out of the midfield he should get moved forward. He’s a pretty good goal threat. Plays with pressure and any decent ball user can play HB
my one reservation on this is that he is simply another of what we already have with regards to marking power.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024 - What do we do, we have a top 10 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back