Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No to conferences or divisions with promotion relegation etc

20 teams play each other once rotating home and away over 2 years 19 rounds plus a few neutral rounds where the AFL play in regions, overseas or a gather round. Local derbies of course
With the AFL trying to maximise crowd numbers as a major KPI we wont see a fair draw again

But I feel you can get as close to with conferences/divisions - I dont want a relegation system just a geographic one like the NBA

This keeps your local rivalries intact while maximising as much crowd and following as possible

With the AFL trying to maximise crowd numbers as a major KPI we wont see a fair draw again

But I feel you can get as close to with conferences/divisions - I dont want a relegation system just a geographic one like the NBA

This keeps your local rivalries intact while maximising as much crowd and following as possible

With 150k crowd capacity in Melbourne. Double any other state - maximising crowds just works against fairness.

And yet we have seen such as hawks-cats genuine blockbusters evolving which would never happen while the fixture was given second billing behind the Victorian big 4 roundabout.

What other hawks cats type fixtures are there which never get the chance to grow?

Last edited:

With 150k crowd capacity in Melbourne. Double any other state - maximising crowds just works against fairness.

And yet we have seen such as hawks-cats genuine blockbusters evolving which would never happen while the fixture was given second billing behind the Victorian big 4 roundabout.

What other hawks cats type fixtures are there which never get the chance to grow?
That was my point. You cant have a fair fixture while the AFL want to maximise attendance

But I would never rely on Richmond or Melbourne fans turning up when they slide

The thing is under the NBA system all the teams still play each other at least twice. Unless you went out to 30 rounds or so I’m not sure how you’d work it so each team still plays each other. I don’t like the idea of just not playing a certain team.

The conference system in the NBA also deeply flawed when it comes to playoffs. One conference is usually much stronger than the other. It becomes a completely uneven playing field and often means the teams in the finals are not actually the two best teams.

The thing is under the NBA system all the teams still play each other at least twice. Unless you went out to 30 rounds or so I’m not sure how you’d work it so each team still plays each other. I don’t like the idea of just not playing a certain team.

The conference system in the NBA also deeply flawed when it comes to playoffs. One conference is usually much stronger than the other. It becomes a completely uneven playing field and often means the teams in the finals are not actually the two best teams.

Which was shown spectacularly in the one season AFLW had conferences

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back