• Afternoon

Votes: 253 62.2%
  • Twilight

Votes: 119 29.2%
  • Night

Votes: 35 8.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Beer at midday while preparing the food.

Guests arrived at 1.

BBQ feast while watching Katy Perry.

Kick to kick with the kids at half time.

Kick to kick after the kids enjoyed watching the Lions being presented the cup.

Guests leave at 6:30.

Leftover BBQ for dinner.

Kids bathed and in bed by 8:30.

Quiet drink and reflection on the season until bed at 10:30.

PERFECT.
You've just described the perfect day. Well played Sir.

I'm all for keeping in as a day GF but RV rules the game and no doubt they want to try a twilight soon.

So just do it. Start around 430ish finish 7ish fireworks, post game show instead of pre everyone can go to bed and get over a loss quicker

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

2021 was the best GF ever staged, visually. Last week's prelim looked mint. If they move it, it needs to be to a twilight timeslot. It just works.

In contrast, yesterday's game was terrible on tv. The bright screen, red ball, fireworks in the day time, it's just so much poorer of a tv experience right in the middle of the day. You may say who cares, but there are 100k at the stadium, over 4 million watching on tv.

Beer at midday while preparing the food.

Guests arrived at 1.

BBQ feast while watching Katy Perry.

Kick to kick with the kids at half time.

Kick to kick after the kids enjoyed watching the Lions being presented the cup.

Guests leave at 6:30.

Leftover BBQ for dinner.

Kids bathed and in bed by 8:30.

Quiet drink and reflection on the season until bed at 10:30.

PERFECT.
Day time is so perfect. I’d add the following - daytime also means;
  1. There is half a chance the crowd does not show up to the game completely shitfaced.
  2. The players have plenty of time to celebrate after at the ground
  3. And then celebrate at their official function
  4. And then continue to celebrate where ever they next end up (Chapel St last night)
  5. And there is a good chance they can fit all of this in without the sun coming up.
  6. And everyone can be a part of this.
Just once can we not ruin a good thing for no other reason than a few extra bucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd keep it at the afternoon for a few reasons.

• Football is much better to watch and play during the day.
  • Older folks are more likely to go sleep earlier so they can watch it - this is especially big if their team hasn't made/won it in ages.
  • Players that win get more time to celebrate during the day.
  • Afternoon time zone is much easier to watch for folks that are abroad.
  • Great time for families so they can enjoy the day, then still have enough time to go home and do everything they gotta do.
  • Lowers the chance of people showing up drunk.

Football is ultimately about including everyone and the afternoon Grand Final does this the best. Leave it there.

The aesthetics of the red ball yesterday against the red and maroon crowd was absolutely terrible. Particularly with the sun. It was awful.

Not only is night better for ratings, but it looks better. Watch some of the highlights of the game. You can barely see the bloody ball. The yellow ball at night is unarguably better looking.

Remember the LOWEST ratings contests for Grand Final involve two Melbourne teams. The highest ratings Grand Finals historically) involve the NSW and Qld teams.

2019: Tigers v Giants 2,940,000
Day match, featuring NSW team. Would have got 4 million if a night. Poor ratings. A bad TV result

2020: Tigers v Cats 3,878,000 NIGHT
Two Vic teams. The worst match-up. Yet nearly 4 million because it was at night. Rated one-milion higher than the year before when the two biggest cities were represented, yet in this game only one city (Melbourne) was represented in the contest.

2021: Demons v Bulldogs 4,110,000 NIGHT
Two low supported Vic teams. The worst possible TV ratings match-up. Highest rated of of the last 5 years because it was at night.

2022: Cats v Swans 3,060,000
Day match. Swans involved. Should have got 500,000 more than a contest between two Vic teams, yet gets one million LESS than a night GF between two Vic teams the year before. An unmitigated ratings disaster. A ratings catastrophe. A total disaster.

2023: Magpies v Lions 4,003,000
A great rating helped by Collinwood's presence, the fact a Qld team was in it, and that it was close. Yet it still rated less than two low supported Vic clubs in 2021. Should have got 5 million at night. Melb vs Bulldogs outrated it for crying out loud and that 2021 match was a 74 point result

If you still think the Grand Final should be during the day after reading that, you are quite simply a moron.

Last edited:
Would the AFL follow cricket and go with a pink footy for a twilight GF?

I get cricket can't use a red and white ball in a day due to 2 teams batting in diff conditions but it would be funny to see a red ball 1st half then a yellow sherrin 2nd half.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Two Vic teams. The worst match-up. Yet nearly 4 million because it was at night. Rated one-milion higher than the year before when the two biggest cities were represented, yet in this game only one city (Melbourne) was represented in the contest.

Two low supported Vic teams. The worst possible TV ratings match-up. Highest rated of of the last 5 years because it was at night.

If you still think the Grand Final should be during the day after reading that, you are quite simply a moron.

VERY important reason for these ratings you're purposely omitting here. I'll give you a chance to explain what it is, otherwise I'm happy to go to town on the flaw within this example.

I'll check back in later.

VERY important reason for these ratings you're purposely omitting here. I'll give you a chance to explain what it is, otherwise I'm happy to go to town on the flaw within this example.

I'll check back in later.
Don’t you dare use the COVID excuse. You know damn well that ALL television programming rates better at night. That’s why it called prime time and that’s why all major events and all good television programs are scheduled at night.

Night rates better. That’s not an opinion. That’s a fact.

Don’t you dare use the COVID excuse. You know damn well that ALL television programming rates better at night. That’s why it called prime time and that’s why all major events and all good television programs are scheduled at night.

Night rates better. That’s not an opinion. That’s a fact.
In Vic there was litterally nothing to do as we were in lockdown, can't remember if any other states were (NSW?) It could have been at 4am and still rated decent.

Remember the LOWEST ratings contests for Grand Final involve two Melbourne teams. The highest ratings Grand Finals historically) involve the NSW and Qld teams.

2019: Tigers v Giants 2,940,000
Day match, featuring NSW team. Would have got 4 million if a night. Poor ratings. A bad TV result

2022: Cats v Swans 3,060,000
Day match. Swans involved. Should have got 500,000 more than a contest between two Vic teams, yet gets one million LESS than a night GF between two Vic teams the year before. An unmitigated ratings disaster. A ratings catastrophe. A total disaster.

2023: Magpies v Lions 4,003,000
A great rating helped by Collinwood's presence, the fact a Qld team was in it, and that it was close. Yet it still rated less than two low supported Vic clubs in 2021. Should have got 5 million at night. Melb vs Bulldogs outrated it for crying out loud and that 2021 match was a 74 point result

Hi Damo, did you move into Kane's changing room as soon as the Footy Show was over today or will you wait a little while before doing so?

In Vic there was litterally nothing to do as we were in lockdown, can't remember if any other states were (NSW?) It could have been at 4am and still rated decent.

Oh for Gods sake, PRIME TIME RATES HIGHER THAN DURING THE DAY! That's not an opinion. Stop making yourselves look intellectually dumb by insinuating otherwise.

What the hell is wrong with the intellectual tenor of this conversation? Do you just ignore facts now? My God have you all gone mad? Yes covid might have kept more people inside, but even allowing for that, all things being equal prime time rates higher. Everyone knows that. That's not an opinion - it's a fact.

That's why it's called prime time. Duh! That's why all TV networks want the major sports telecasts scheduled at night.

If you were to rank the 152 possible Grand Final combinations of teams, Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs would probably be 151 (last would be Bulldogs vs North Melbourne). That second-lowest possible team combination played at night outrated Brisbane vs Collingwood during the day which would be probably 4th or 5th out of 152 combinations.

The aesthetics of the red ball yesterday against the red and maroon crowd was absolutely terrible. Particularly with the sun. It was awful.

Not only is night better for ratings, but it looks better. Watch some of the highlights of the game. You can barely see the bloody ball. The yellow ball at night is unarguably better looking.

Yep I thought this too, was shit viewing on the tv, i much preferred the prelim. When the ground is mostly in shade though it's not as bad, that's why you start it at 4.30 and it would be perfect.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back