• Afternoon

Votes: 259 62.3%
  • Twilight

Votes: 120 28.8%
  • Night

Votes: 37 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t you dare use the COVID excuse. You know damn well that ALL television programming rates better at night. That’s why it called prime time and that’s why all major events and all good television programs are scheduled at night.

Night rates better. That’s not an opinion. That’s a fact.

Quite LITERALLY, the two examples you used were played while the entire state of Victoria (also known as AFL heartland), were under 'stay at home orders'.

There couldn't be attendees from Victoria.
There couldn't be Grand Final parties at friends houses.
There couldn't be hundreds of people crammed into licensed venues watching on the big screen.

There was nothing for anybody to do but sit at home and watch it on television.

It's THE major contributing factor as to why the ratings were so high for those two games.

People don’t want it to change and never will. It is a social day for most people, they have their habit of what they do every year and will never want to change it.

The opinions won’t change, if the AFL want to change it then they have to just rip the bandaid off and do it.

Personally I would start it at 3:30pm so that it’s still the afternoon game everybody seems to want, while still being a decent time in WA. The second half starting at 4:45pm to 5pm would make TV happier too.

Quite LITERALLY, the two examples you used were played while the entire state of Victoria (also known as AFL heartland), were under 'stay at home orders'.

There couldn't be attendees from Victoria.
There couldn't be Grand Final parties at friends houses.
There couldn't be hundreds of people crammed into licensed venues watching on the big screen.

There was nothing for anybody to do but sit at home and watch it on television.

It's THE major contributing factor as to why the ratings were so high for those two games.

This is incredibly intellectually dishonest from you. You are using covid as an "excuse" to prove something that you KNOW isn't true. Whilst it's true that covid partially contributed to the high ratings, the match was also at night and EVERYTHING rates better at night. This is not debatable. Literally everything on TV rates higher at night than it does during the day. That's why most AFL games are at night. That's why all the other AFL finals are at night. That's whu virtually all other majoe events are at night.

Won't be changing it with these kind of ratings.

There are 152 combinations of teams that can play in the Grand Final.

The number one combination out of 152 would be Brisbane vs Sydney.

The lowest at 152 would probably be North Melbourne vs The Bulldogs.

Melbourne vs the Bulldogs would be at 151.

The 151st (or second worst) combination played at night outrated the BEST combination of teams during the day. Think about that. Bloody Melbourne vs the Bulldogs (151st best) , where no one supports either of them outrated Brisbane vs Sydney (1st best)

Everything rates better at night, covid or not. Everything. There wouldn't be a single television event that rates higher during the day than what it would rate at night. Nothing. Not a single thing. Not one single thing.

I dont see how you can ignore it. Ratings for the entire 2020 season during COVID were better. Not just the Grand Final.

2021 also had some considerable nostalgic venue that cant be ignored either.

I'm not ignoring anything. Everything rates better at night and you know it. Look at the TV ratings for Saturday night games versus Saturday afternoon games. Just because covid gave the ratings a bit of a boost doesn't mean the ratings wouldn't have been high at night anyway.

All TV networks want all their major events in prime time because more people watch. That's not an opinion. That's an unarguable fact.

This is incredibly intellectually dishonest from you. You are using covid as an "excuse" to prove something that you KNOW isn't true. Whilst it's true that covid partially contributed to the high ratings, the match was also at night and EVERYTHING rates better at night. This is not debatable. Literally everything on TV rates higher at night than it does during the day. That's why most AFL games are at night. That's why all the other AFL finals are at night. That's whu virtually all other majoe events are at night.

Of course it would rate higher, but not high enough to justify moving it into that timeslot when over 80% of the fan base wants it left exactly where it is.

You just cannot use 2020 and 2021 as an example in this argument, especially as dishonestly as you did by omitting the major contributing factor as to why it rated so well.

There are 152 combinations of teams that can play in the Grand Final.

The number one combination out of 152 would be Brisbane vs Sydney.

The lowest at 152 would probably be North Melbourne vs The Bulldogs.

Melbourne vs the Bulldogs would be at 151.

The 151st (or second worst) combination played at night outrated the BEST combination of teams during the day. Think about that. Bloody Melbourne vs the Bulldogs (151st best) , where no one supports either of them outrated Brisbane vs Sydney (1st best)

Everything rates better at night, covid or not. Everything. There wouldn't be a single television event that rates higher during the day than what it would rate at night. Nothing. Not a single thing. Not one single thing.
While you are right about night rating higher than day, literally no network puts any of their big shows on Saturday night anyway. By that logic shouldn’t they move the GF to Sunday night? That is the undisputed number 1 TV slot. You could even argue Sunday 3:20 does better than Saturday night for a lot the home and away season

The aesthetics of the red ball yesterday against the red and maroon crowd was absolutely terrible. Particularly with the sun. It was awful.

Not only is night better for ratings, but it looks better. Watch some of the highlights of the game. You can barely see the bloody ball. The yellow ball at night is unarguably better looking.
I agree about the yellow ball. Why do we still persist with a red ball? The WAFL started using a yellow ball, for all games, years back. It stands out so much better.

I'm not ignoring anything.

No youre just dismissing it out of hand - and without good enough reason. The grand final ratings at night were NOT exceptional given the circumstances - and thats the evidence youre giving us.

Just because covid gave the ratings a bit of a boost doesn't mean the ratings wouldn't have been high at night anyway.

Thats not a great argument for your case dude.

All TV networks want all their major events in prime time because more people watch. That's not an opinion. That's an unarguable fact.

And this may all be true, but your examples werent great.

The aesthetics of the red ball yesterday against the red and maroon crowd was absolutely terrible. Particularly with the sun. It was awful.

Not only is night better for ratings, but it looks better. Watch some of the highlights of the game. You can barely see the bloody ball. The yellow ball at night is unarguably better looking.
Serious question, what sort of TV did you watch the game on? I had no trouble seeing the ball on the TV I was watching. Nothing wrong with a red ball for a day game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question, what sort of TV did you watch the game on? I had no trouble seeing the ball on the TV I was watching. Nothing wrong with a red ball for a day game.
I was at the match, but when I saw the highlights in TV it looked really bad. Wasn’t great at the ground either because of all the red in the crowd. The yellow ball is 1000% better for aesthetic purposes, especially at night. So much clearer and no sun glare or shadows.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final start time - Afternoon, twilight or night

Back