AFL Players Seeking Psychological Help

Remove this Banner Ad

No it wouldn't. Same for Kim Duthie by the way! Sure what she did was wrong BUT that is what happens to someone with a mental illness unfortunately as a society when this behaviour is exhibited it is put down to bad parenting, teenage issues or simply the kid is a loser, whore or whatever other names she has been called. Mental illness often crops up in the teenage years changing kids from those that look like they have the world at their feet through a gradual change (often put down to teenage issues) to what we see happening in front of our eyes with Kim. The unfortunate part is until the person themselves comes to the realisation they need help, nothing can effectively be done to help. Especially when they are over 16.

1 in 5 suffer mental health issues we need to get a grip on the realities so we can learn to manage such situations better.

Congratulations to the AFL as it looks like they are being proactive in this if this number of players seeking help.

by psychological help you mean talking with someone or some 'professional' suggesting you how you should behave?? Geez its gone too far ffs, its hardly 'seeking' help... Id say the figures are inflated by people getting paid to give advice.

No, that is far from what I meant. Maybe if you read the article:

"Stress and relationship issues were the most common reasons for counselling under the AFL Players' Association wellbeing program.

The AFLPA's seven psychologists also counselled players on gambling, anxiety/depression, self-esteem and even football performance."

It just more or less proves that AFL players are human beings, not Gods as some people believe (I will admit I'm guilty of treating them like they are, but I guess a majority of us are).

19-23 yr olds seeking help for reationship issues.

Gimmie a break, it's called getting dumped, not mental illness.

Spot on. I'm tired of hearing this crap. Stress? Give me a break. Some of these players need to do what some of their struggling supporters do for a living, work in a dead end job and struggle to pay the bills ... maybe then they'd realise things aren't as bad as they seem. HTFU.

^^^ Was waiting for someone to post something like this.

Just because they earn decent money, it does not mean they won't get depressed. You may think their lives are perfect, but really, you don't know what has gone on. They may have been abused as a child, or may just have a chemical imbalance.

Maybe you would think twice about telling someone to "harden up" if you had a mental illness. Depression is the most common disability in Australia. It prevents you from going to work, sometimes you can't even get out of bed. You may think it's a case of "positive thoughts will fix this" but in reality, it is not that easy.

Maybe you should think before you post something like you just did.

^^fair enuff if ya really need help, but those figures are inflated by people getting paid for shit, 1 in 5?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let me get this straight...you think that because they have lots of money that they don't get depressed? They are human beings!

Spot on. I'm tired of hearing this crap. Stress? Give me a break. Some of these players need to do what some of their struggling supporters do for a living, work in a dead end job and struggle to pay the bills ... maybe then they'd realise things aren't as bad as they seem. HTFU.

I'd never wish depression on anyone, but reading your continuous self righteous posts, I kind of wish it would happen to you so you can actually understand.

It's the attitudes of people like yourself that stop others seeking out professional help when they hit a bump in the road because they fear being labeled as soft. If the opportunity is there to speak to a qualified person when said bump in the road comes along, it can stop it from becoming a car crash.

Ok, my apologies. I guess it is based on the number who have seeked help...I know 1/5 Australians will suffer from a mental illness at some stage in their life.

The stress of their job would most likely be a lot more than a lot of other jobs. Yes, they earn a good amount of money, but they put in a shit load more hours into it than a normal job. It controls their diet, their social life, everything. Most peoples jobs dont do that.
Its good for them to have easy access to psychologists. Whether it to get things put into perspective, seek help with problems that have come from footy, or anything in general.

Ok, my apologies. I guess it is based on the number who have seeked help...I know 1/5 Australians will suffer from a mental illness at some stage in their life.

by 'seeked' Im guessing a shrink has approached them and got a reply 1 out of 5 times..

The stress of their job would most likely be a lot more than a lot of other jobs. Yes, they earn a good amount of money, but they put in a shit load more hours into it than a normal job. It controls their diet, their social life, everything. Most peoples jobs dont do that.
Its good for them to have easy access to psychologists. Whether it to get things put into perspective, seek help with problems that have come from footy, or anything in general.

Good post.

Get sick of the "oh, you're rich and famous, what you got to be sad about" attitude.

Once again, read the article. It says in there that players have gone to the AFLPA who have referred them onto psychological help. No one has approached the players, they have done this themselves.

Very good post.

The pressure put on these people by their clubs, the media, "fans" and in some cases their families would be substantial.

These kind of well paying competitive professions are usually very high stress because the demands are ongoing and usually very high.

Imagine being a professional sports person, you work in an environment that is constantly changing and where one bad performance or a chance injury can end your career.

Whilst some people thrive on this and I suggest many that succeed as professional sports people do, this would not be the case for everybody and all people have their limits.

Do not envy the famous, or our sporting stars at all.

Once again, read the article. It says in there that players have gone to the AFLPA who have referred them onto psychological help. No one has approached the players, they have done this themselves.

doubt it, cant imagine that number of young players unless approached/advised or in trouble and trying to get out of it 'seeking' help, its an inflated figure...imo

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Players Seeking Psychological Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back