Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

What bothers me is people would prefer to take a Josh Rotham, Tim Membrey or Finn ******* McGinness over a kid.

Sure, the kid may not eventuate but we are having a throw at the stumps. We are no Melbourne bad with our best 22. Our best 30 lacks heavily at the bottom end.

Completely agree with this. If we do drop off and finish bottom 4 so be it. That is where he absolute top echelon players are generally selected
McGuinness is a kid.

Rotham is VFL depth and membry I think that’s more his interest then ours

Rebuilds generally do take a long time now

Brisbane, Melbourne, Richmond have shown that

Id also be careful comparing us to non Melbourne teams now aswell

Brisbane sortve hit the jackpot all in a run. Daniher, C.Cameron, Dunkley, Neale, Mckenna on top of that the amazing father sons Ashcroft x 2, Fletcher

Weve not had any of that

Last edited:
Finn Maginness is a positive sign.

188cm, 88kg, 5:50 2km engine who is hard as nails and who can run Ed Langdon out of a game on a wing. He can accumulate but doesn't seem to get the opportunity often. Weakness is that he is average by foot, not Dy Clark or Tsatas, maybe Setterfield.

He could be our Hewitt / Sam Gibson.

Last edited:
What bothers me is people would prefer to take a Josh Rotham, Tim Membrey or Finn ******* McGinness over a kid.
I would be happy we look at mature agers in the state leagues - less wait time and more mental maturity. Guys are out there then everyone seems surprised they perform well at AFL level even though they have been very good for years at the next level. Even our approach to the MSD seems different than the ND and we have done well in selections there. Use that approach to get guys who do everything at least competently to replace guys that have the combo of can't kick, have poor IQ and composure. Looking at El Hawli most recently he seems to do everything decently and is competitive. You have pointed out VFL players during the year I hope we are looking at.

I remember Prior needed to work on his defensive work when he was drafted.
If he has done that, he could be worth a look since we have issues with small/medium defenders still.

I don't think Hawkes will let Finn go.

I wouldn't want us to get Rotham- probably better options in our VFL side.

Membrey? Saints can keep him and take Gresham back too.

Rob Forster Knight looks after draft night ;)
So ? Matt Rosa looks after the lot.
Maybe RFK goes okay without Dodo putting his two cents worth in.
So Caddy and Roberts are duds then.

188cm, 88kg, 5:50 2km engine who is hard as nails and who can run Ed Langdon out of a game on a wing. He can accumulate but doesn't seem to get the opportunity often. Weakness is that he is average by foot, not Dy Clark or Tsatas, maybe Setterfield.

Spot on.

Most likely we'll play him in the VFL for a couple years and then delist whilst Parish racks up 27 touches a week with zero impact but yuuge Fantasy Points.

Sure, the kid may not eventuate but we are having a throw at the stumps. We are no Melbourne bad with our best 22. Our best 30 lacks heavily at the bottom end.

Completely agree with this. If we do drop off and finish bottom 4 so be it. That is where he absolute top echelon players are generally selected

In 2023, the best 22 finished a season in which it played 4 games against 2 of the worst sides to have played in 25 years with 11 wins and a percentage of 89. In 2024, with the addition of 3 experienced best 22 players and finding a few players (like Durham and Caldwell) the best 22 finished the season with 11 wins 1 draw and a percentage of 93. 'Faded' badly as the season corrected itself.

The best 22 is not fine. It full of soft, flaky and selfish players. There is an immediate need to bring in players who can add a backbone to the team.

What I would give for O'Halloran and McGinness to join Essendon. For them to beat the piss out of our mids all pre-season, while lapping in time trials, lifting more in the gym and to do in knowing that they're being brought in play roles to let the rest of the front running flakes do that which they do most effectively.

That's the sort of this that will have to give here. We've thrown our lot in with Perkins, Parish, Tsatas and Merrett (who I only include because the team needs him in a play making role using his kicking, not leading from the front inside). Players now need to be brought in to make it work. We're not going to get better bringing in superstar midfield players, not substantially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So ? Matt Rosa looks after the lot.
Maybe RFK goes okay without Dodo putting his two cents worth in.
So Caddy and Roberts are duds then.
On last years and Saads mid reason pick this year there isn't much to complain about I don't think - at the very least the picks seems to focus with a weakness in mind rather than pure best player we seem to have a habbit of picking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back