Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

So ? Matt Rosa looks after the lot.
Maybe RFK goes okay without Dodo putting his two cents worth in.
So Caddy and Roberts are duds then.
Rosa employs Rob Forster Knight to make the calls, something tells me advice is one thing but the actual decisions are made by RFK.

Kids you've name are less than 12 months into careers, bit rough you calling them duds, im certainly not suggesting

I want atleast 4 from this draft. Possibly 5
difficult thing is how hamstrung we are by the previous regime trading out so much collateral

Would settle with 4 from the national draft

our first, Kako, a nominal second and a later selection.

Having so many list places (potentially) opening up may help with our successful avenue via the SSP.

That is why clubs do not take a range of picks past 60.
I am not against a couple but if we moved on the amount of players some want then you are looking at 4 or more picks. The odds are well and truly against you. As far as Roberts and Dear go they where 4th round. I am talking more about right at the end. 5th and 6th round.That is why I said after pick 60. Yes there will be a few that go okay but in general the majority back end is full of players who play 0 to 10 games.
Just commented that maybe we try our luck at getting a pick back inside 40 (post Kako) and then a nominal pick somewhere past 60. Leave open a SSP list spot and see what is left from that pool

The players you build a list around are top 3-5 in the draft, and after that most drafts are hit and miss. Would you rather tsatas, or sheezel? One is going to be multiple AA and is elite already, the other can barely hit the ball with his foot.
We have never actually, properly bottomed out, and as such we continue to accrue middling talent, that takes you all the way to - the middle. In essence, stuffing around only dilutes our picks, and makes it hard to select someone elite.
this is nonsense we took three top 6 picks in 2015-16, and another three top 10s in 2020. the dogs built a premiership team from less.

this is nonsense we took three top 6 picks in 2015-16, and another three top 10s in 2020. the dogs built a premiership team from less.
Dogs team was the outlier, I would prefer to be chasing the Cats model, or the Hawks 2010's model rathe than the outlier.

Fair call, remove Geelong and insert Hawthorn or Richmond's era, even the recent Dees flag side
Dees took 10-12 years from their 2009 draft

And that was from picking some absolute all timers (Trac Gawn and Oliver) who i think most people all had in the best 10 in the game at some point

They show it can be done. I cant believe the AFL is looking at an extra home game for sides in WA after seeing the top 5 this year. Surely its just better off having 2 close away games in a row where they stay over

Last edited:
Rosa employs Rob Forster Knight to make the calls, something tells me advice is one thing but the actual decisions are made by RFK.

Kids you've name are less than 12 months into careers, bit rough you calling them duds, im certainly not suggesting
You have lost the plot. Where have I called them duds. You where the one whining about the draft strategy that left us with limited picks. Well we have limited picks as it was the cost of getting Caddy.
At the end of the day we also have Rohan O'Brien working with RFK who was head of recruiting at the Eagles for a long time and also Craig Vozzo as CEO who was GM of football when the Eagles won the flag in 2018. You really think I need a lecture on the recruiting set up ? RFK will hand over his ranking of all the players. That is his job. The decisions will be made by the group of RFK (head of recruiting) McPherson (GM of football) Rosa (list manager) Scott (Coach) and Vozzo(CEO) and those decisions will be based on the plan that direction they want to take the list.

Last edited:
absolutely, point remains that they are often built on the back of good top 5 picks. Petracca and Oliver obviously set the tone with that flag
Yep spot on

If you draft well, you can nail the picks between 5-25 aswell now. So many resourcea and theyre drafting very well in the 20s now and the 5-15 range are having a very strong hit rate now

Parish, Francis, McGrath, Cox, Reid and Perkins. Six top ten picks in three years. Wow.
There is still hope but we may be relying on the

Tsatas, Caddy, Top 10 and Kako group now

Its a tough one, you bottom out then you dont attract free agents. Whereas middle of the road Hawks, Pies, Blues ect still do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then there is the difference between picking in the top 50 and taking multiple picks after 60. The percentages do not add up. You are talking about a low percentage of players even playing 50 games so basically you may hit a good one but there is more chance of maybe finding a Will Snelling who plays 50 games and a really big chance you will have Austin Lucy on your list for two years.
Austin Lucy might only be on your list for 1 year.

Austin Lucy might only be on your list for 1 year.
Well if you have to delist him then you are still paying for him in the second year if you take him in the ND.

absolutely, point remains that they are often built on the back of good top 5 picks. Petracca and Oliver obviously set the tone with that flag
Good being the optimum word. Go back a few years before that and Melbourne had a number of top 10 picks and top 5 picks and none made it. It would be great to have another crack at someone inside the top 4 for sure but having had a quick look I can come up with around 30 players taken between 5 and 20 that would play a big part in building a winning side.
Our best player came at pick 26.

Good being the optimum word. Go back a few years before that and Melbourne had a number of top 10 picks and top 5 picks and none made it. It would be great to have another crack at someone inside the top 4 for sure but having had a quick look I can come up with around 30 players taken between 5 and 20 that would play a big part in building a winning side.
Our best player came at pick 26.
the point remains that the match winners, the ones who are premiership teams best players often come from within the top echelon of youngsters at draft time.

the point remains that the match winners, the ones who are premiership teams best players often come from within the top echelon of youngsters at draft time.
And often they do not. There are just as many in the 5 to 20 range. There is also a little thing called free agency. There are also sides that bottomed out for years who have not won a GF. Most of the key players in the Eagles last flag came from outside the top 5 as a point of reference as far as drafting goes. Richmond / Melbourne had a couple of key players from the top 4. It is not totally set in stone. What will happen if we tank for 2 or 3 years will be at least 10 years before we maybe look like a finals side again.
If we want to contend before 2034 we need to tread a very fine line and work on a strategy of using top 30 picks when we have them. Shuffle some experienced players in and out from other clubs that can set some standards as far as competing and preparation and have the cap set up so we can pick up a FA if needed.
Even though this year we are short of picks we will still land two top 20 players.

And often they do not. There are just as many in the 5 to 20 range. There is also a little thing called free agency. There are also sides that bottomed out for years who have not won a GF. Most of the key players in the Eagles last flag came from outside the top 5 as a point of reference as far as drafting goes. Richmond / Melbourne had a couple of key players from the top 4. It is not totally set in stone. What will happen if we tank for 2 or 3 years will be at least 10 years before we maybe look like a finals side again.
If we want to contend before 2034 we need to tread a very fine line and work on a strategy of using top 30 picks when we have them. Shuffle some experienced players in and out from other clubs that can set some standards as far as competing and preparation and have the cap set up so we can pick up a FA if needed.
Even though this year we are short of picks we will still land two top 20 players.
just did a quick google search and the majority of premiership sides have a least one, if not two top 5 draft picks in the top 3 for the clubs best and fairest award in the flag year.

I completely understand that we will need to use all useful resources like free agency, trading etc. we have simply not given ourself any opportunity to actually take a chance to bottom out properly because we are so obsessed with (trying to) staying relative.

just did a quick google search and the majority of premiership sides have a least one, if not two top 5 draft picks in the top 3 for the clubs best and fairest award in the flag year.

I completely understand that we will need to use all useful resources like free agency, trading etc. we have simply not given ourself any opportunity to actually take a chance to bottom out properly because we are so obsessed with (trying to) staying relative.
So you're saying we're a chance with McGrath, Tsatas and Setterfield. :p

CBF looking it up myself but what do you mean by majority? 51%? Either way the fact it isn’t 100% would seem to support ant555 ’s point

I think culture is an underrated component in all of this. Get that right and you can bring in later picks and find they’ll get the best out of their potential vs just burning top draftees like Melbourne did.

Some did for sure but there is no actual bottom out properly. There is no set way and there is a world of pain for a lot of years for those clubs who do. Also the clubs that have won flags that had 2 or 3 top 5 picks did son with some decent FA gets as well along with some really good finds outside the top 20 and some good trades.
My point to those who want us to bottom out is be careful what you wish for. You will be in for 10 years of pain and in that pain there will be Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back