AFLST Prem League Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

WCL

All Australian
Jun 26, 2004
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well after an almost surprising 1st round, round 2 is ready to display just as many twists and turns.

Premier League Ladder
New Norfolk 4
Lauderdale 4
Glenorchy 4
North Hobart 4
Kingborough 0
Clarence 0
Hobart 0
Brighton 0

Glenorchy V Clarence @ KGV

Expect a big crowd to turn up as the Roos venture deep into enemy territory as one of the fiercest rivalries in football, gets set to take off once more. Glenorchy surprised everyone with the ease of their win against Kingborough, while Clarence recieved a rude shock by getting pumped by the eagles. I am tipping a great match with the pies scraping over the line.
Magpies by 3pts

New Norfolk V Kingborough @ Boyer

The eagles will be on a high after defeating the roos in the Grand Final replay, although with possbly a couple of suspensions following a massive brawl that included 25 players, I would expect the Tigers to go close. But the eagles to get up.
Eagles By 22pts

Lauderdale V Hobart @ "The Dale"

I believe that Lauderdale will beat Hobart, although the new look Lions will put in a solid effort, the Bombers will win.
Bombers By 15pts

North Hobart V Brighton @ North Hobart

The Demons will win quite comfortably.
Dees By 130 pts

Eagles will flog Kingborough :)
Glenorchy to beat Clarence in a close one
Lauderdale by around 20 points.
Demons to stay home for the first 3 quarters and still beat Brighton.

WCL said:
Well after an almost surprising 1st round, round 2 is ready to display just as many twists and turns.

Premier League Ladder
New Norfolk 4
Lauderdale 4
Glenorchy 4
North Hobart 4
Kingborough 0
Clarence 0
Hobart 0
Brighton 0

Glenorchy V Clarence @ KGV

Expect a big crowd to turn up as the Roos venture deep into enemy territory as one of the fiercest rivalries in football, gets set to take off once more. Glenorchy surprised everyone with the ease of their win against Kingborough, while Clarence recieved a rude shock by getting pumped by the eagles. I am tipping a great match with the pies scraping over the line.
Magpies by 3pts

New Norfolk V Kingborough @ Boyer

The eagles will be on a high after defeating the roos in the Grand Final replay, although with possbly a couple of suspensions following a massive brawl that included 25 players, I would expect the Tigers to go close. But the eagles to get up.
Eagles By 22pts

Lauderdale V Hobart @ "The Dale"

I believe that Lauderdale will beat Hobart, although the new look Lions will put in a solid effort, the Bombers will win.
Bombers By 15pts

North Hobart V Brighton @ North Hobart

The Demons will win quite comfortably.
Dees By 130 pts

So we're meant to believe after getting a 40 point belting from Glenorchy, Kingston are going to make the trip to Boyer and run New Norfolk to 3 or 4 goals? Come off the grass! New Norfolk, clearly a better side than Glenorchy, should win by 10-15 goals - AT LEAST! Nigh on impossible to beat at the `Funny Farm'!

Clarence to beat Glenorchy, when did you last see Clarence lose two in a row?

Lauderdale to beat Hobart? Come off it! The Lions clearly a better side, even allowing for the home ground advantage, Hobart to win by 5 goals minimum!

Finally, North v Brighton at NHO. As with NN v Kingston, if Lauderdale beat Brighton by 100 pts at Pontville, what will the Dees do to them at League Headquarters? Demons to win by 160+, Robbie Devine to kick 12+!

BUT I HAVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE! :D

Come on mate he was being nice :) wouldn't it be great to see Clarence get flogged twice in a row? I'd love to see that :)

I think Lauderdale could shock some teams this year, Brighton won't go anywhere near winning a game this year. I wonder what the record is for not winning a game in Tasmania?

come september will tell.
but remember Lauderdale is only a team from the amatures.
also kingston is only a after thought after the huon association. went down the drain.
so how is now that they should be thrown in with what is the major level in the south.
Is it a case of
1 the former tfl clubs dropped to the level now offerd.
2 old amatures and huon teams now at a level of the state wide compo /that is likely to win a premership against the norths ,hobarts,clarences,norfolks and norkys .
When ? 2050 and beyound.

LFC said:
You and Barge been sucking on the same...??

Kingston & Bombers will both make the finals.

Whilst I reckon Kingston may sneak into the 5, Lauderdale haven't a snowflakes chance in hell of getting in. Will be like last year - will beat Brighton every time (almost lost a game to Brighton last year actually) and if they're lucky they might fluke a win against a couple of the other lower sides (ie like last year when they beat Hobart by 1pt and Kingston by 2pts).

Whilst Scott Allen is obviously a class player and one or two others are up to the grade, their 16-21 ranked players are poor reserves players from back when the were in the Regional League.

The same Regional League might I add that they'd still be in, if Cygnet had the balls to go up to the Premier League like they should!

How many consecutive Grand Finals do you have to win EASILY before you're considered too good for a certain level?

BoyerBoy said:
Eagles will flog Kingborough :)
Glenorchy to beat Clarence in a close one
Lauderdale by around 20 points.
Demons to stay home for the first 3 quarters and still beat Brighton.

Iagree, NN will flog the tigers up at the valley of love. They are a bloody good team and playing at home is even harder. My tip for the flag.
I would like to see the tigers up there but not this year, they will make the 5.

What about Hobart, they are just as bad as the tigers, or worse.

Hobart will take awhile to rebuild I thought last year they would of gone further then they did after playing off in the 2003 Grand Final. North Hobart fell pretty quickly, Kingborough will hit the straps next year, IMO.

Glenorchy should make the finals again this year, but won't go far, the Eagles, I hope will break their long streak and finally win the flag. This week's game at KGV Oval will be interesting to watch.

I have seen bad Glenorchy sides play their best games against Clarence, it's not beyond them, if it was at Bellerive I would give the game to Clarence.

Glenorchy is a side that this season will be playing on pure passion and that should be enough in my mind for them to make the Prelim Final. I reckon that this season will be one of the tightest on record, with the exception of Brighton of course. New Norfolk will be flag favorites all year and really should do it, although I think that any of 5 teams could make the GF:
New Norfolk: for the obvious reasons
Clarence: Because they are a tremendous finals side, although may struggle a bit this year.
Glenorchy: For the above reasons
Hobart: Look alright this year, could give it a shake.
North Hobart: For the same reason as Hobart
Kingborough: A very talented side that will benefit from having finals experience last year.

We will get a much better veiw after this weekend, should be a beauty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCL said:
Glenorchy is a side that this season will be playing on pure passion and that should be enough in my mind for them to make the Prelim Final.

Clarence: Because they are a tremendous finals side, although may struggle a bit this year.
Glenorchy: For the above reasons

We will get a much better veiw after this weekend, should be a beauty.

You're putting Glenorchy on a par with Clarence as a `tremendous finals side' ??? PU-LEASE!! Let's look at the respective finals records .........

CLARENCE - 8 flags out of the last 12 years - NUFF SAID.

GLENORCHY: 2004 - Flogged by Norfick in the 2nd Semi, Flogged by Clarence in the Prelim.

2002 - Flogged by North in the First Semi.

2001 - Went into the Grand Final thinking they were SH*T HOT and got done by the Roos.

1999 - BOUGHT the Grand Final (more players in that side were from the mainland than were local!)

1997 - As with '04 - Flogged by Clarence in the Prelim.

Need I say more? I think you may need to lay off the prohibited substances!

Clarance to beat Genorchy
New Norfolk to beat Kingston
Hobart to beat Lauderdale
North Hobart to beat Brighton

New Norfolk should win the flag this year but that doesn't mean they will. They should have won it last year considering the talent they had.
They should have also won it the year before that before they went out of the finals in straight sets.

I don't know if its a mental thing or not but its weird to see especially considering how well there reserve side has been over the last few years in winning premierships.

No matter how poor Clarance might look at the moment don't write them off too early, as much as I hate to admit it they play there very best football when their back is against the wall.

Glenorchy is an interesting one as I think that they will win there fair share of games, but won't put too much pressure on capturing the flag. the losses of senior players will hurt then when it comes to the crunch.

Kingston are always hyped up in the preseason for some reason and never achieve anything more than just scrapping into the finals. Admittingly they have got a couple of ok players but they lack the depth and this may be harsh to say but desire to push for the flag.

Lauderdale are better than most people expect but they do have a problem with quality depth aswell. Former Kermandie and Hobart player Ben Stewart is a very good pick up for them and is capable of being very damaging on the field.

North Hobart could do anything, they could be genuine top 3 contender or fall away like they did last year.

Hobart are the opposite to Kingston in that there chances never get talked up in the preseason (I remember before the 1999 premierships eason that we weren't even picked to get into the 5!). We have a lot of young players that will be very good in a couple of years time but may be pressed this year to be actual contenders. Should never be underestimated though. One thing that we have on our side is that we have got players that have been there and done it before, whilst at a smaller stage, this more than a lot at New Norfolk have done and you only have to look at Clarances record to show how important that is.

Brighton...enough said they won't win game.

Non-Tasmanians For Glenorchy in 1999: Hamilton, Parker, Kappler, Hemley.

Glenorchy bought the 1999 flag? I doubt it, Glenorchy have never spent much money on mainland talent, that has been their major problem. Northern Bombers had more mainlanders then Glenorchy.

I think you should do more research, Barge, because Glenorchy only had 4 mainlanders Hamilton was there since 1996.

What I meant BARGE was the other above reason, they play with pure passion and pride for the guernsey. Sorry for the clarity, but no need to get on your high horse and bag the crap out of the Pies.

LFC said:
You and Barge been sucking on the same...??

Kingston & Bombers will both make the finals.
Bombers will do better then Kingborough in the finals, IMO.

WCL said:
What I meant BARGE was the other above reason, they play with pure passion and pride for the guernsey. Sorry for the clarity, but no need to get on your high horse and bag the crap out of the Pies.
If you meant most Claremont supporters you'll find they all hate Glenorchy, as does Glenorchy towards Claremont. I would like to see him try and explain how they bought the 1999 Premiership, as Glenorchy has never spent the money on getting a whole lot of mainland players.

Face it, WCL, for whatever reason Barge is bitter towards Glenorchy.

OK First things first! I agree wholeheartedly with the Doctor 73, except think he's talking Lauderdale up a bit.

As for you WCL, `getting on my high horse and bagging the Pies'? NO NO! Merely commenting on what I thought you meant that they are, like Clarence, a `great finals side! If you can't handle the FACT the arch rival's recent FINALS RECORD far surpasses the Magpies then too bloody bad!

BoyerBoy wrote: Non-Tasmanians For Glenorchy in 1999: Hamilton, Parker, Kappler, Hemley.

Glenorchy bought the 1999 flag? I doubt it, Glenorchy have never spent much money on mainland talent, that has been their major problem.

OK, granted I may have exaggerate when I said HALF, you would have to agree those 3 1999 recruits wouldn't have come cheaply. Also, don't forget when the Southern Cats fell over mid season they also snapped up Shayne Stevenson who, once again you'd have to agree, wouldn't have come up town for nothing. (Yes yes I know he went on to do alot of work for the club, GM, Senior Coach, Reserves coach, but they WERE ALL paid positions!)

Ask yourself `Would they have won the flag that year WITHOUT Hemley, Kappler, Parker and Stevenson?'

Glenorchy have never spent money on `Mainland Talent?' Don't remember when they were on their knees at the start of the 90's? Reason? Overspending in the 80's!

Good old GiggleTown Boy then said: If you meant most Claremont supporters you'll find they all hate Glenorchy, as does Glenorchy towards Claremont. I would like to see him try and explain how they bought the 1999 Premiership, as Glenorchy has never spent the money on getting a whole lot of mainland players.

Face it, WCL, for whatever reason Barge is bitter towards Glenorchy.

How the bloody hell does Claremont come into it? Sure I'm a Claremont person, proud of it! But I was merely commenting on what I thought WCL was saying, which I now realise I misinterpreted.

Don't you worry about Claremont - Sure we're struggling at the minute, but you tell me you wouldn't love New Norfolk to have our history of success?!

Sure, we don't get along with Glenorchy and vice versa, but this is due to a number of things. Firstly, I (as a former rabid supporter and underage player of Glenorchy) first disliked them at the start of 2001 when Craig Horne, Peter Barwick, Nathan Longman, Andrew Dransfield, and Jason Horne (among others) after saying they were going to play for Claremont, returned to KGV because they didn't want to play for us as they thought we'd be among the easy beats that year (they were right!)

All of them - GROSSLY OVERPAID for what they gave Claremont in return (Take it from me if you knew what they were getting you'd faint!) were merely happy to be there on the take! Let's face it - all clubs have had these types at one time or another!

Secondly, why don't one of you Glenorchy followers, next time you see Steve Allie or Shayne Stevenson (who I bet ya won't see much anymore as he has one of those `cushy jobs' with Footy Tas) ask them about the AGREEMENT they struck with members of the Claremont Committee at the end of 2003 in return for Glenorchy returning to their Black and White colours? The Agreement was that as far as underage players go `Glenorchy would have the players from (to the best of my memory) Moonah to Berriedale Rd, Claremont would have from Berriedale Road outwards.

How many players did The Mont get out of this? Well, without giving the answer away, we haven't had an underage for four years. hell, last years Glenorchy under 19s Premiership side had kids who had played for Claremont the Previous year!

Bitter towards Glenorchy? YOU BLOODY BETCHA! I hope Clarence flog em today and hope they lose the Grand Final to Norfick by a point! With a kick after the siren from Sean Salter!

Fella from the Funny Farm also wrote: Bombers will do better then Kingborough in the finals, IMO.

So are you saying they will both make the finals? So which two out of Norfick, Clarence, North Hobart, the Storm and Hobart will miss out for these two both to see September action? If you think this will happen, you definitely have been on the good stuff up the back of Bushy Park!

OK, granted I may have exaggerate when I said HALF, you would have to agree those 3 1999 recruits wouldn't have come cheaply. Also, don't forget when the Southern Cats fell over mid season they also snapped up Shayne Stevenson who, once again you'd have to agree, wouldn't have come up town for nothing. (Yes yes I know he went on to do alot of work for the club, GM, Senior Coach, Reserves coach, but they WERE ALL paid positions!)

We had no more mainlanders than any other club, of course some were high profile, but whats different to the rest of the premiership teams in the 90's.

Glenorchy is going to smash Clarence by 40pts today, then we will see who the contenders and pretenders are.

Carn the Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenorchy have a young list, and by the looks of the results Today, they probably haven't got the strength to make the finals. Hobart will probably miss the finals, as they also have lot a lot of senior players.

Glenorchy probably wouldn't of made the Grand final without Parker, Kappler, and Hemley, and Stevenson. But if you watch the game over and over again you will see that in the Grand Final Parker, Stevo, and Kappler pretty much were quiet.

I used to goto Claremont games, as I used to live out that way, and many of them really didn't want Glenorchy to be known as Magpies, even know they don't, they believe that becasue they have been in the league longer (regardless of it being a split league now) that they should be the only one's carrying the Magpie name in the South.

You forget, I said didn't spend much, I know they have shelled out money, and look at what crap they had, once they left, and the whole they put themselves in. I remember the early 90's, my family are all Magpie supporters, I was one too, until my cousin went to play for New Norfolk, of course he didn't want to, he was made play because of the stupid zoning rules.

And I became a supporter of New Norfolk because we went to see my cousin play, of course once he went to Victoria and gave away football, they stopped supporting the Eagles and have been supporting Glenorchy agian, they thought it would of been a good idea to support the guy's team. Now, I cannot imagine not supporting them, even though I am dragged to see Glenorchy most weeks.

When we became the Hawks, I took an interest in supporting Claremont, as I knew a few guys that played there, don't worry, I know they are a great mob of people, some though like to get rowdy when you mention Glenorchy. And I thought you were one of those, I do apologize for that.

You thought I was one of those `rowdy' Claremont people? Unfortunately, it is this mindset that hurts us, especially now - mention you're from Claremont or support them and people assume that you're all alike (yobbo's, snipers, meatheads etc). This stigma is particularly damaging when trying to recruit quality players. I don't for one second deny we've had some rabbits up there in the past and still do have now. Unfortunately some of the `incidents' in recent years were caused by people who very rarely attend Claremont games, and aren't Claremont supporters, but this unfortunately doesn't stop the Bush Telegraph hitting full flight. You'd be surprised to know that there are some sensible, intelligent, good people up there!

WCL added this morning: We had no more mainlanders than any other club, of course some were high profile, but whats different to the rest of the premiership teams in the 90's.

Glenorchy is going to smash Clarence by 40pts today, then we will see who the contenders and pretenders are.

You raise a good point - they were no different to the rest of the Premiers in the 90's!

40pt win? Keep your head up - you were only 20 goals out! :D

I actually thought with the posts sounding Anti-Glenorchy and I used to run into a few Claremont supporters that were like that. Since moving away from Claremont we don't see the games anymore, not sure if some of my mates still go, I think some went back to Glenorchy to support them.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLST Prem League Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back