Game Day AFLW R2 2019: Crows v Carlton - Sun Feb 10 - 4.05 PM - EDT - Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

She made a huge effort to get drafted after being too fat. But then she stagnated for two years. She’s the antithesis to high performance. Should have been cut last preseason. You can’t play elite women’s AFL and be fat. She’s fat.
Or you could use facts, and note she's carried a back injury for months that has precluded her from training.

But hey, who uses facts these days anyway...

I think the women will win more games than the men

Unfortunately for the Carlton women's team, their last win was on Feb 9th, 2018 (vs GWS), so have just ticked over a year since their last victory.
Don't drink the water over there ....

She made a huge effort to get drafted after being too fat. But then she stagnated for two years. She’s the antithesis to high performance. Should have been cut last preseason. You can’t play elite women’s AFL and be fat. She’s fat.
I saw this “fat” player run, chase and tackle at least two times in this game, catching a non-fat opponent, one of which was rewarded with a htb decision. Also saw her Take two marks and kick a corker goal. How about you assess her game, not her body type.

Had missed watching the game this evening. Saw the replays and scoreline and damn proud of the girls of the win/comeback!

This match should shut up the naysayers, particularly ones who kept saying last week was crappy due to the low scoring. The AFLW Crows actually scored with the same amount of scoring shots again, funnily enough! The difference this time is that we’re much more accurate tonight and the win also helps the feel-good effect!

Hope Randall is ok. She is our key player if we’re going to advance further into the Finals. Congrats to Stevie-Lee, looks like we’ve found a new forward player now!

I saw this “fat” player run, chase and tackle at least two times in this game, catching a non-fat opponent, one of which was rewarded with a htb decision. Also saw her Take two marks and kick a corker goal. How about you assess her game, not her body type.
She also bumped her teammate to the ground. A very rare stat!

She also bumped her teammate to the ground. A very rare stat!

Highlight of the game (other than the amazing comeback and SLT's 4).
Next week if Perkins kicks a goal, think her teammates should revert back to high 5's and butt slaps, not worth being stretchered off injured because of a celebration.

Just finished watching the replay, my initial thoughts still pretty much the same, beat a team they should beat after getting in a bit of a pickle, the superior fitness of the Crows the biggest factor in the win, no Carlton players could really keep up with their opponents after about the 10 minute mark of the 3rd quarter especially Erin’s.

Stevie Lee taking advantage of Carlton’s slow defence papered over some of the usual forward issues the team had especially in the 1st half (lots of entries little to show for it) but thought the picking out of options worked better this week and was probably helped by the speed of ball movement especially in that 3rd quarter which didn’t allow Carlton to do what the Bulldogs did last week in clogging up the space.

Thought the midfield of Phillips, Hatchard and Forth brought the team back in the 3rd, lazy defensive efforts in the midfield especially not keeping track of young Prespakis, plus they struggled a little bit with foot speed and had some confusion in defence plus trying to fill the hole Randall leaves had put them in that precarious position, also playing such a high press as they do does leave them occasionally exposed but the risk/reward of that means that it is also their biggest tactical strength.

Again I liked the important efforts of new players like Martin, Li & Considine not just on the ball but off the ball as well, Cox & Allan were as usual miserly in defence, Jones stepped up after last week and didn’t try to over do things, Sheer was better this week too, still don’t think she’s a deep forward, she should be the one kicking into the 50 but liked her confidence and the way she b-lined the ball even if she tried to take too many on sometimes.

Thought Marinoff struggled not having things on her terms, she fought hard, covered hard back into defence and done a couple of ok things in the 2nd half but still looked to be labouring at times.

Unsurprisingly the Perkins inclusion wasn’t a magic tonic, her off the ball pressure can be ok at times but once the ball’s there to be won she looks so hesitant these days, whether that’s from a current injury or is just a loss of confidence at this level who knows. Montagna made the comment during the game that’s she’s great below her knees which made me question whether he’s seen her play since 2017, she’s struggled a lot once the ball hits the deck the last couple of seasons, she double grabs at everything which makes her rushed every time she gets near the ball. She had that one lead out moment on the back of a great bit of play in the 3rd other then that she just doesn’t have time to use her only real main weapon these days - her long kick. Her value at this level and for the side could be more so as a decoy based on the reputation she holds from season 1, some teams Carlton probably included today can end up paying too much attention to her on occasions and other options can open up.

She still has kept her spot in the team and probably will continue to do so more so based on the lack of competition given the team totally lacks tall natural footballers who can play forward.

My best:
3. Thompson
2. Phillips
1. Hatchard

Last edited:

Rubbish.

Have a look at her lead / mark / goal today, she might still be big, but if you reckon that effort isn't high performance, you don't football. She could be coaching the men's team, that play was so tidy

Points to space
Slips around her opponent
Takes the mark with two opponents bearing down on her
Kicks truly

There's aren't very many men who can do that anymore, let along women

carlton board are convinced the umpiring went against them. There were a lot of inconsistencies throughout the game, but there were some absolutely awful against us especially in the 3rd quarter.
When both teams complain about the umpiring....

Highlight of the game (other than the amazing comeback and SLT's 4).
Next week if Perkins kicks a goal, think her teammates should revert back to high 5's and butt slaps, not worth being stretchered off injured because of a celebration.

Oh please. Hatchy was laughing at herself as she got up and played out the game fine. It's not the first time Perko has the side bump celebration. All this hand wringing about how those girls might hurt themselves. I know I play football because I love that physicality side of the game. I often come off second best, but I get back up again. It's footy.

Oh please. Hatchy was laughing at herself as she got up and played out the game fine. It's not the first time Perko has the side bump celebration. All this hand wringing about how those girls might hurt themselves. I know I play football because I love that physicality side of the game. I often come off second best, but I get back up again. It's footy.

I was joking NikkiNoo. I know plenty of tough competitors from amateur women's sports, you can see from some of the individual tackle numbers if ALFW that some of the girls revel in the contact side of things. My post was saying more ... DON'T MESS WITH TEX.

"The Advertiser" match report is hilarious. Clearly written for the Herald Sun as the article is all about Carlton. Reading it you'd think that Carlton had dominated the game and won by 6 goals. To top it all off they didn't even give the final score in the article!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the 1994 version of the song including “We’re the mighty Camry Crows” rung around Princes Park #throwback

Take the Camry Crows line out of that original version and it is infinitely better than the one we use now.

I thought I was in some sort of time warp when the 1994 version started playing after the game.

"The Advertiser" match report is hilarious. Clearly written for the Herald Sun as the article is all about Carlton. Reading it you'd think that Carlton had dominated the game and won by 6 goals. To top it all off they didn't even give the final score in the article!

This is where the cost cutting at news outlets is robbing us of quality by removing local voices. Although I think you have to go very, very far into the last century to find when the Advertiser was quality.

After watching our AFLW game on the weekend I decided to have a peek at the match report on the AFL site and came across the following:

https://womens.afl/news/16317/match-report-crows-on-the-board-after-tight-tussle-with-blues

Thompson's fourth for the day, slotted early in the final term, finally gave Adelaide breathing space as a developing Carlton side's resolve was tested and eventually broken.

How bad at being a football club do you have to be to get branded as a "developing side" in a competition barely two years old?

Reading that you could be forgiven for thinking the other teams have been around for ages. Speaking of ourselves, we've already managed to debut multiple players across just the first two games this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back