Autopsy AFLW Round 3, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why we've continued to play this side of the ground coming out of defence.
The wind takes our kicks out of bound, and makes the Dees shots for goal easier going right to left.
We are using the wrong wing. Percentages.

Great endeavour for three qtrs just ran out of legs in the last.
Much more encouraging signs from previous weeks.

Richards was quiet but when she did touch it we saw what she is capable of. Needs to play for the rest of the year.
Liked the use of Watt at FB. Should persist with this imo.
TLR great through the middle
Shierlaw and Xenos getting back to their best.

Positive signs for the coming weeks

A much better performance from a better selected team this week. Still seems too tall as most of us thought. Ott isn't a defender, not physical enough; tall enough to ruck but again not physical enough; a very tentative player, maybe needs confidence. We really need more from Dillon, I'm not sure what position she plays but has never really got a lot of ball; maybe try up forward. Vogt is a step up from Greiser, but I don't think we're at the stage to carry another tall forward. It's Shierlaw and Shannon for me. Good to see Dal not afraid to stick Richards in the middle. The midfield positions are all up for grabs, no one has set the world on fire in there, all "just ok" at best really.

Lucas-Rodd 5 - Great positioning, hit plenty of targets, tackled hard
Preist 3 - Not much gets past her, a cool head and hits targets. Exhausted in the last qtr.
Jakobsson 2 - Probably top 3 in our B&F atm. Our best key back this year.
Phillips 2 - Always pops up where you need them. Sometimes rushes the kick, but cleaner today.
Cutting 2 - A mountain of work and second efforts in the ruck. 10 tackles!
White 1 - A quieter fortnight, but 12 tackles today.

I'm still sticking with the team I picked last week, I think it has the most potential taking us forward. I've added Watt as the utility back/ruck. Richards a class above with ball in hand and will only get better. Hopefully Friend gets a crack next week. And I was surprised Saulitis was dropped.

FShierlawMatin
HFMcCarthyRichardsSaulitis
CMcDonaldXenosGuttridge
HBJakobssonFriendLucas-Rodd
BBurke.LPriest
RCuttingWhiteVesely
I.F.PhillipsShannonBurke.A
WattDillonVan Dyke

Great endeavour for three qtrs just ran out of legs in the last.
Much more encouraging signs from previous weeks.

Richards was quiet but when she did touch it we saw what she is capable of. Needs to play for the rest of the year.
Liked the use of Watt at FB. Should persist with this imo.
TLR great through the middle
Shierlaw and Xenos getting back to their best.

Positive signs for the coming weeks
Really liked Richards. Shows how big an impact draftees can have in the AFLW. Watt has always been good going to FB. If she finds she’s losing the endurance to keep up in the ruck she can transition to a full time defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall, an improve performance but the last quarter was disappointing. Really need to work on goal kicking because we just aren't good enough to be wasting the chance we get.

Liked what we saw from Richards. We need to get games into her and bring in Friend to do the same.

A much better performance from a better selected team this week. Still seems too tall as most of us thought. Ott isn't a defender, not physical enough; tall enough to ruck but again not physical enough; a very tentative player, maybe needs confidence. We really need more from Dillon, I'm not sure what position she plays but has never really got a lot of ball; maybe try up forward. Vogt is a step up from Greiser, but I don't think we're at the stage to carry another tall forward. It's Shierlaw and Shannon for me. Good to see Dal not afraid to stick Richards in the middle. The midfield positions are all up for grabs, no one has set the world on fire in there, all "just ok" at best really.

Preist 3 - Not much gets past her, a cool head and hits targets. Exhausted in the last qtr.
Phillips 2 - Always pops up where you need them. Sometimes rushes the kick, but cleaner today.

I'm still sticking with the team I picked last week, I think it has the most potential taking us forward. I've added Watt as the utility back/ruck. Richards a class above with ball in hand and will only get better. Hopefully Friend gets a crack next week. And I was surprised Saulitis was dropped.

FShierlawMatin
CMcDonaldXenosGuttridge
BBurke.LPriest
RCuttingWhiteVesely
WattDillonVan Dyke
Great write up.
Personally I don’t have Phillips in the best, she shirked a lot of contact, I know she’s there to run but she wasnt towing the line IMO

Great write up.
Personally I don’t have Phillips in the best, she shirked a lot of contact, I know she’s there to run but she wasnt towing the line IMO

Yeah that's fair enough. She's a link player and gets a lot of ball, still an important cog.

I think Guttridge has been under-utilised since day one at the club. She has a lot of tools in the bag, tough tackler, courageous marker, long accurate kick. I'd love to give her free reign to hunt the ball and ball-carrier, a couple of weeks onball to see what transpires. Nothing to lose really.

Yeah that's fair enough. She's a link player and gets a lot of ball, still an important cog.

I think Guttridge has been under-utilised since day one at the club. She has a lot of tools in the bag, tough tackler, courageous marker, long accurate kick. I'd love to give her free reign to hunt the ball and ball-carrier, a couple of weeks onball to see what transpires. Nothing to lose really.
Guttridge is one I don't know where her best position is.

Bit of a Richo type game.

3 decent quarters then get blown away when the heat is on.

Media then lauds us for a courageous performance for 3 quarters and promises our future to be great.

FShierlawMatin
CMcDonaldXenosGuttridge
BBurke.LPriest
RCuttingWhiteVesely
WattDillonVan Dyke
Dont mind that line up although few I would have elsewhere.
Van Dyk's disposal is pretty average coming out of defense. She is great over head but kicking is poor. Ott the same. This is a big problem given how poor we transition. Still has a spot but need to clean up our disposal off HB
Not sure we have enough on the inside to have TLR go back to the HB line as much as we miss her back there. Think Phillips could fit in well back there and allow Guttridge to move up the ground more.

F - Grieser, McCarthy
HF - Xenos, Shierlaw, Shannon
C - McDonald, White, Guttridge
HB - A.Burke, Jakobsson, Phillips
B- Priest, Watt
R - Cutting, Vesely, Lucas-Rodd
I - Matin, Dillon, Van Dyk, Friend, Richards
E - L.Burke, Vogt

For me at this stage Saulitis doesn't get a game. Has some tricks but doesn't impact the game enough. McCarthy provides better pressure and can bring players to ground.

Reckon we still need one of Vogt or Grieser fwd of the ball to provide a target. Vogt offers more around the ground but far less consistent and drifts out of games. Grieser will be better option for mine, if we can maintain some better run through the middle which we had this week. The slow ball movement from previous weeks led to her being double teamed and the ball being dumped on her head. If we can get McDonald, Xenos, Guttridge kicking it to her then she could get back to her goal kicking ways.

Back