Game Day AFLW Round 5: vs Geelong away, GMHBA, Thurs. 26/9 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t watch the AFLW much. But I found the Hawks were very easy to watch tonight. Tough, quick, a game plan and some actual skill and kicking to position.

I think her name is Breed. My god, I think I would jump out her way. Gee she goes real hard.

I don’t watch the AFLW much. But I found the Hawks were very easy to watch tonight. Tough, quick, a game plan and some actual skill and kicking to position.

I think her name is Breed. My god, I think I would jump out her way. Gee she goes real hard.
Yeah Mattea Breed, the contest that stands out is one where she ran through about 5 players in what was essentially a 5 on 1 and hit Stratton lace out, so fun to watch.

Going to watch now, missed it live. West with 24 touches and 16 tackles, is that a tackle record?

I read a couple of posts saying Wales wasn’t her best with 22 touches and 39 hit outs, please explain?

Stone with three is massive, been on that bandwagon for a few weeks now! ;)

Going to watch now, missed it live. West with 24 touches and 16 tackles, is that a tackle record?

I read a couple of posts saying Wales wasn’t her best with 22 touches and 39 hit outs, please explain?

late to the Stone bandwagon then :)

It was an incredible game

This recap pod might be long

late to the Stone bandwagon then :)

It was an incredible game

This recap pod might be long
Hey, give us a break! I live in the bush! I don’t get these city folk opportunities. I’m lucky we aren’t still using literal wagons still! Ha ha.

Better late than never though.

Wales (I'm calling her the orca) has a massive second half.
Her first half was statistically good, but she was caught behind a lot. Hit outs weren't to advantage, and she was getting outbodied very easily.

Stats aren't everything

Wales (I'm calling her the orca) has a massive second half.
Her first half was statistically good, but she was caught behind a lot. Hit outs weren't to advantage, and she was getting outbodied very easily.

Stats aren't everything
Hence the ‘please explain’ ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree great win, bu there were some ugly parts to the match. Sliding doors would be wondering how we would've responded if Geelong had kicked away in first half like they should've and didn't have their injuries after HT. Their 4th quarter comeback would've had a worse edge to it if so.

It's only a what if of course, over a season good teams make their own luck, and you have to find a way to win "ugly" too. More than happy with that win and their supporters can't complain about much (well, we'll ignore the "Galway handball" pass for one of our goals 😉).

Actually I think the fact we've run away from opponents in last two games is a huge credit to our coaching staff. Fitness is on another level and they're finding the goals for fun now. It's so noticeable. I liked Goddard but last off season was clearly the right time to bring in the likes of Webster.

Haven't seen it mentioned but special shoutout to Fellows coming back in. Had only 2 possessions in 2QT, but one was intercepting a ball and setting up a goal, the other was kicking a goal herself. Kept them in the game, so an important play in scheme of things and in her first game of season.

We have to keep this momentum going! Gold Coast are a side we should be heavy favourites to beat, so could be a banana peel game, having the favourites tag is a whole different mindset.

3 weeks for a fair bump. What the hell is happening?

Ridiculous. 1 third of the entire season for a fair shepherd. Don't come with the "If a player is concussed" rubbish, it didn't look like she got anywhere near the head.

She chose to bump and bumped fairly. AND it was a Geelong player.

3 weeks? Absolute farce. Nothing wrong with it from what I could see.

Last edited:
Great win, just watched the reply , now sober. How bad are the callers, how bad the umpiring WTF!
3 weeks is crazy, if its anything it’s only 1.

I reckon we are back in their heads so now its……

No body likes me,
Everybody hates me
I’m gunna eat some…… Flags!
☺️

We’re back baby but with twice the punch. 👊

In general I think the rules are fine, you want to eliminate all head contact and the onus is on the player taking that risk to bump.

That said, I'd like to see the camera angles they used to make a decision here. First one looked fine (real time). Second angle unclear, looked like a body hit but clearly there was head contact if she went off concussed.

I think it's one of those things that are unlucky. Definitely miss Smith. Wonder how they restructure defence now? Maybe Elliott gets more on ground time, Eardley/Stephenson cover as well.

Finally got to watch it, though in parts it looked like it was filmed with a phone.. oi

Really like how some of the kids are building, and it's a relatively even performance with all cracking in.

In general I think the rules are fine, you want to eliminate all head contact and the onus is on the player taking that risk to bump.

That said, I'd like to see the camera angles they used to make a decision here. First one looked fine (real time). Second angle unclear, looked like a body hit but clearly there was head contact if she went off concussed.

I think it's one of those things that are unlucky. Definitely miss Smith. Wonder how they restructure defence now? Maybe Elliott gets more on ground time, Eardley/Stephenson cover as well.

You know you don't need to be hit in the head to get knocked out or get concussion, right?

Concussion is from the brain rattling around inside the skull. It isn't from head contact. You're actually more likely to get concussion from the whiplash from a body hit then being hit in the head

In general the rules are garbage. Sicily being rubbed out on McLuggage proves that. It was a third player that caused the severity. In Smith's case there was no head contact. Whiplash caused the concussion and that at least in part lies with the person being hit, if their neck is relaxed at the time.

You know you don't need to be hit in the head to get knocked out or get concussion, right?

Concussion is from the brain rattling around inside the skull. It isn't from head contact. You're actually more likely to get concussion from the whiplash from a body hit then being hit in the head
Yes, you can get concussion from a lot of things. My main point is trying to understand it from the Panel's pov. I'm not leaping to an anti-Hawks conspiracy.

I think you can't prove from the angles we've been given that there wasn't head contact so occam's razor given the player is definitely concussed - there was some. Hawks will need clear evidence to contrary to appeal. If there is great, because 3 games is still harsh and Tam has been very unlucky here as there's not a lot she can do differently.

Ultimately when it comes to head knocks my view is player welfare 1st priority and then MRP consistency 2nd. We are a long way off the latter.

Yes, you can get concussion from a lot of things. My main point is trying to understand it from the Panel's pov. I'm not leaping to an anti-Hawks conspiracy.

I think you can't prove from the angles we've been given that there wasn't head contact so occam's razor given the player is definitely concussed - there was some. Hawks will need clear evidence to contrary to appeal. If there is great, because 3 games is still harsh and Tam has been very unlucky here as there's not a lot she can do differently.

Ultimately when it comes to head knocks my view is player welfare 1st priority and then MRP consistency 2nd. We are a long way off the latter.
Pretty much this . Didn't do anything wrong .

Extremely unlucky but as soon as the Cats player was concussed she was getting weeks.

The commontary on night was incredible poor .It didn't make a difference to the suspension but it would help if there was an accurate summation of the incident, which there wasn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFLW Round 5: vs Geelong away, GMHBA, Thurs. 26/9 7:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back