AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Laura Stone pre-selected by Hawthorn along with Hayley McLaughlin and Jess Vucic.
Alyssia Pisano must have declined pre-selection.

Hawks sign Eastern Ranges trio in pre-draft signing period

It's a shame that Stone is not available to consider for pick one, but the double hyphen really does seem like an ideal list fit.

Swings and roundabouts I guess regarding Stone, just unlucky that Hawthorn's academy is associated with the Eastern Ranges, similar to how we were able to get JUH with our NGA.

Pretty sure I read that Pisano has decided to go through the draft, so that essentially means we'll take Pisano or Weston-Turner with pick 1. Personally I think Weston-Turner is the better fit for us considering her height and our list needs.

Not surprisingly from a purely administrative and results-based view, but he seemed to have a close relationship with (most of) the playing list.

He was critical of fitness levels - but how much of that ultimately is the buck that stops with the coach?

Obviously injuries are out of his control, will be interesting to see who replaces him (no hurry I suspect due to the timframe for next season.

If Burke gets the head role elsewhere, hopefully he doesn't take any players with him.

On a positive note (I think!), with all the hard decisions made on the men's side, looks like the women's programme is also being managed with less tolerance for several seasons (excepting last year) of underwhelming returns.

Most of the top-end talent is academy-linked and being pre-listed to Port or Hawthorn.

In terms of top-end VIC talent only Stone or Pisano could've been taken ahead of the draft as Hawthorn's academy is with the Eastern Ranges and Essendon's is with the Calder Cannons.

As per Rookie Me's draft rankings in October, the top 5 VIC prospects were...

Laura Stone (Midfielder, 170cm)
Alyssia Pisano (Small Forward, 162cm)
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (Midfield/Forward, 178cm)
Mikayla Williamson (Midfielder, 173cm)
Jessica Rentsch (Midfielder, 172cm)

This is the deepest AFLW draft to date and drafting anyone from interstate in the AFLW is pretty risky given the season length.

In terms of top-end VIC talent only Stone or Pisano could've been taken ahead of the draft as Hawthorn's academy is with the Eastern Ranges and Essendon's is with the Calder Cannons.

As per Rookie Me's draft rankings in October, the top 5 VIC prospects were...

Laura Stone (Midfielder, 170cm)
Alyssia Pisano (Small Forward, 162cm)
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (Midfield/Forward, 178cm)
Mikayla Williamson (Midfielder, 173cm)
Jessica Rentsch (Midfielder, 172cm)

This is the deepest AFLW draft to date and drafting anyone from interstate in the AFLW is pretty risky given the season length.

KLWT taller as well. I suspect as the skills and talent improve across the board, a taller marking mid becomes more valuable. Rucks seem generally taller (at least the main ones), and Brennan was a KPF for us, now playing a more mobile role up the ground.

Partly due to general population size/height and evolution of the onfield game itself, the men's comp took decades to evolve to favour the current giants as rucks and many KPPs. The women's game will evolve faster, with tall players already playing netball, basketball, volleyball etc. Challenge will be convincing those taller girls when they're still young that AFL is a viable option - especially with the predisposition of females to significant knee injuries and like the men potential life-long impacts of concussion, when compared to a lower impact sport played on indoor courts.

Not surprisingly from a purely administrative and results-based view, but he seemed to have a close relationship with (most of) the playing list.

He was critical of fitness levels - but how much of that ultimately is the buck that stops with the coach?

Obviously injuries are out of his control, will be interesting to see who replaces him (no hurry I suspect due to the timframe for next season.

If Burke gets the head role elsewhere, hopefully he doesn't take any players with him.

On a positive note (I think!), with all the hard decisions made on the men's side, looks like the women's programme is also being managed with less tolerance for several seasons (excepting last year) of underwhelming returns.

Can't say I'm shocked but given the language from the club just a few weeks ago it sounded like Burke would see out his contract but as you say this may be a sign that the club is being less tolerant regarding wins and losses which can only be a good thing.

Burke always seemed like a coach who was a very good people person but struggled with footy tactics, but that's purely just what I've observed from the outside so who knows.

3 clubs are now looking for new coaches and 2 of them are in VIC so it will certainly be interesting to see who we go after. No one immediately springs to mind.

KLWT taller as well. I suspect as the skills and talent improve across the board, a taller marking mid becomes more valuable. Rucks seem generally taller (at least the main ones), and Brennan was a KPF for us, now playing a more mobile role up the ground.

Partly due to general population size/height and evolution of the onfield game itself, the men's comp took decades to evolve to favour the current giants as rucks and many KPPs. The women's game will evolve faster, with tall players already playing netball, basketball, volleyball etc. Challenge will be convincing those taller girls when they're still young that AFL is a viable option - especially with the predisposition of females to significant knee injuries and like the men potential life-long impacts of concussion, when compared to a lower impact sport played on indoor courts.

Yep and that's what the reports on KLWT are saying...

Arguably boasting the highest ceiling of those in the later first round, Weston-Turner is a 178cm forward with explosive speed and just as capable at ground level as she is on the lead. Famously booting a goal from the centre circle at Mars Stadium, Weston-Turner does have a booming kick, and can burn off opponents with ease. Able to do the incredible on her day, she has X-factor in spades and if she can live up to her potential, she will be a very good player in the future.

SNAPSHOT
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner is undoubtedly one of the most exciting players in the 2023 AFLW Draft crop. Of all the high upside players, Weston-Turner perhaps has the greatest growth of the group, having missed time this year due to injury, and still growing into her size and fully utilising her athletic gifts to the maximum advantage. Generally utilised as a forward, the 178cm talent has rare attributes, and while she is still developing, her ability is undeniable.

DRAFT LOOK:
The elite athlete could end up the first Victorian taken in the draft. While rawer than others, her upside is enormous and given the lack of genuine 180cm-plus talls with athleticism, clubs will be very keen to add her attributes to their list.

Do the Western Jets have a strong women’s program and do the Bulldogs have an academy associated with it?

The Jets do have a strong women's program and although we have some connections to them we actually run our own NGA program.

The Jets had two top 10 picks in last year's draft including pick 1 (Ham) and we've taken Georgostathis and Pritchard from the Jets and Grant also played with them.

We need either/both of our past men's players producing more daughters, or retiring AFLW players being being co-opted into Zimmer's secret baby factory, making any requirements to draft players in the future redundant, as the club will be a self-sustaining entity.

Also with KWW's Disney link, cryogenic storage of older past players with a view to cloning as technological enhancements allow.

All the coaching changes and VUWO development are actually smokescreens to hide the expansion of Zimmer's facilities several levels below the Whitten/Gent stand upgrades. 😉

I'd be throwing everything we've got at the trade table. Montana Ham's a local girl, what would it take to get her home from Sydney? Charlie Rowbottom's Victorian. What can pick 1 and other picks get us, given that the top end of this draft is highly compromised?
Gun Giant ponders shock move as Vic rivals circle

We should be all over Parker - doesn't sound like we are though.
Can't believe she is only 23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Morphett is traded in, we still have Moody and Edmonds. 3 rucks. Can any of them play KPF?
Not sure Newton moving would be good for her or the club. And to Freo? Weird, but could be a Huntington work/study scenario.

If Morphett is traded in, we still have Moody and Edmonds. 3 rucks. Can any of them play KPF?
Not sure Newton moving would be good for her or the club. And to Freo? Weird, but could be a Huntington work/study scenario.
Maybe Newton has been offered a good Contract by Fremantle

What would Newton be worth on the market?

Am a bit reluctant to give up our first pick for Morphett when we have a couple of rucks already. And our forward line has not been the same since it lost a couple of good players. And one is there for the taking in the draft with our first pick.

I'd try be creative and find a way to get both.

What would Newton be worth on the market?

Am a bit reluctant to give up our first pick for Morphett when we have a couple of rucks already. And our forward line has not been the same since it lost a couple of good players. And one is there for the taking in the draft with our first pick.

I'd try be creative and find a way to get both.

I agree that giving up pick 1 for Morphett would not be ideal but she only just turned 20 and is already the best ruck in the AFLW and can play as an extra mid and go forward as well.

As much as I love Edmonds she really is an old school ruck and with list sizes capped at 30 and if Morphett really wants to come to the Dogs I think we have to go with Morphett, especially as Moody can play forward as well.

If we can somehow keep pick 1 and get Morphett then that would be great but it's going to be tough unless some of our players are involved in the trade as well such as Lynch.

The article mentions that Newton has received an offer from Fremantle, while Lynch will likely explore rival offers, that says to me that Newton has not made up her mind, while Lynch is likely to go. If push comes to shove I'd rather lose Lynch than Newton. Lynch's spot is easier to replace and we have the personnel already that can fill that gap in the coming years while Newton can play at either end and play in the middle. Nonetheless a trade will need to be facilitated if either wanted to leave, clubs can't just sign players out of the blue.

Interestingly Lynch was in the leadership group last year but was not this year, perhaps there are deeper issues relating to her at the club, but I'm not sure.

I imagine many of our players are getting offers and we should be actively doing the same to players at other teams as well. I've mentioned before that our list management has been far from excellent with us often failing to retain players who receive offers from other clubs and lack of attracting big names from other clubs but if it's true that we are offering 5 years to Morphett hopefully that is a sign that we have changed our ways and will also go harder to retain our own players as well. It does feel though that this off-season is going to see a lot of player movements across the competition and we should already be on the front foot.

Last edited:
I'd by far much rather lose Lynch than Newton if we have a choice in the matter (doesn't really sound like we do though), but as fantastic a defender as Lynch is, her disposal just absolutely kills us. She's essentially the female Ryan Gardner in this regard. Terribly slow to get the ball on the boot, and when she does it's often a direct turnover or at best still not to our players advantage. I love her to bits, but there's very little point in being a gun defender if you just turn it straight back over with your subsequent disposal.

"GOLD COAST is hoping to bolster its key position stocks during the upcoming AFLW Trade Period, with the club chasing deals for Western Bulldogs star Katie Lynch as well as Melbourne's Charlotte Wilson.

Lynch, who was named at centre-half back in the AFLW's All-Australian team last year, had been exploring her options but it's understood the Suns have since emerged as a frontrunner for her services.

The 23-year-old is renowned as one of the competition's best key-position players and has shown she is capable of playing at either end of the field across her 42-game career, of which 35 have been spent with the Dogs and seven with Collingwood"

"FREMANTLE is set to land the Western Bulldogs' former AFLW No.1 pick Gabby Newton, while the club is also chasing a deal for Collingwood veteran Ash Brazill ahead of the upcoming Trade Period.

AFL.com.au understands Newton has requested a trade to the Dockers following a disappointing season at the Dogs, where the club went 1-9 before parting ways with coach Nathan Burke."

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back