AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only been able to watch the highlights (pisses me off that I can't watch the games overseas), and you can see that the girls played with a bit more confidence.

Blackburn and Bontempelli. We are lucky

Enjoyed the game so much (watching on replay) that I forgot to switch back to the cricket against NZ and only caught the speeches at the end.
That was a good win, but seeing the girls celebrate was better. How excited were they?
Ellie choking back tears, just great stuff.
A few weeks back I thought they were shot, but lots to like about that game.

This shows just how ridiculous and unfair the AFLW fixture is….

Sydney, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Melbourne all play the bottom 5 teams at least 4 teams each, while teams like Fremantle, GWS and Richmond who missed the 8 last year play the bottom 5 just twice as do we and Collingwood don’t even play a team finishing in the bottom 5.

On the flip slide side Collingwood, Port and us play 6 of the top 8 teams while teams like Melbourne, Geelong, and North Melbourne just 4 times.

You could easily argue that Melbourne will win the McClelland Trophy and its million-dollar prize money because they get to play 4 of the 5 bottom teams.

Yes it's always hard to predict which teams will rise and fall, especially in a competition that is evolving rapidly but having Adelaide and especially Melbourne play 4 of the 5 bottom teams in a 10 round season is a horrible look.

Matches Played/Scheduled Against Top 8 (Current Top 8 Highlighted)...
MvT8 (After R9).png

Matches Played/Scheduled Against Bottom 5 (Current Top 8 Highlighted)...
MvB5 (After R9).png

This shows just how ridiculous and unfair the AFLW fixture is….

Sydney, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Melbourne all play the bottom 5 teams at least 4 teams each, while teams like Fremantle, GWS and Richmond who missed the 8 last year play the bottom 5 just twice as do we and Collingwood don’t even play a team finishing in the bottom 5.

On the flip slide side Collingwood, Port and us play 6 of the top 8 teams while teams like Melbourne, Geelong, and North Melbourne just 4 times.

You could easily argue that Melbourne will win the McClelland Trophy and its million-dollar prize money because they get to play 4 of the 5 bottom teams.

Yes it's always hard to predict which teams will rise and fall, especially in a competition that is evolving rapidly but having Adelaide and especially Melbourne play 4 of the 5 bottom teams in a 10 round season is a horrible look.

Matches Played/Scheduled Against Top 8 (Current Top 8 Highlighted)...
View attachment 1842094

Matches Played/Scheduled Against Bottom 5 (Current Top 8 Highlighted)...
View attachment 1842096
The McClelland Trophy prize money is absolutely ridiculous for this reason. A $1 million award where the AFLW games are worth twice as much as the AFL games, whilst the AFL has 6 double ups and the AFLW sides don't even play 7 of the other sides. Absolute nonsense.

Everything about the AFLW gives me the shites.

These are my 5 biggest issues...

1. Lack of a 17 round season.
2. Time-on only for the last 2 minutes.
3. List sizes capped at 30.
4. Umpiring standard (you could argue that is also an issue in the AFLM).
5. Too many grounds are being used with many of them not up to league standard from both a player and fan point of view/lack of use of available AFLM stadiums.

The McClelland Trophy prize money is absolutely ridiculous for this reason. A $1 million award where the AFLW games are worth twice as much as the AFL games, whilst the AFL has 6 double ups and the AFLW sides don't even play 7 of the other sides. Absolute nonsense.

Yep, I have no issue with the McClelland Trophy being across both the AFLM and AFLW but fixture parity is needed at the very least.

These are my 5 biggest issues...

1. Lack of a 17 round season.
2. Time-on only for the last 2 minutes.
3. List sizes capped at 30.
4. Umpiring standard (you could argue that is also an issue in the AFLM).
5. Too many grounds are being used with many of them not up to league standard from both a player and fan point of view/lack of use of available AFLM stadiums.

Yep, I have no issue with the McClelland Trophy being across both the AFLM and AFLW but fixture parity is needed at the very least.
1 and 2 are the biggest issues for me.
The competition cannot be taken seriously until you play each other once.

In regards to time on, they extended the quarters by 2 minutes, but left the time on only in the last 2 minutes in place.

They should have left the quarters in place at 15 minutes, but had time on for the whole quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win next week against nth and we avoid the spoon

We look like mirroring the men from the 1950s when we won the flag in '54 and then the spoon five years later in '59. Ladies won the flag in 2018, and now, it's five years later.

It's going to be an exciting final round, especially Sunday with the three teams occupying positions 8th through to 10th all playing one after the other. I haven't selected winning margins, but I've predicted the teams I think will win and this is what I've come up with. Six teams all tied on 24 points.

The incredible thing is I have GCS beating Essendon to claim fourth spot. If GCS lose that, I actually have them finishing 11th. The possible movement of ladder positions creates a spectacle.

1698604929058.png

Hypothetical:

GCS win by 39 points;
St K win by 11 points;
Coll win by 16 points.

Then all three of Essendon, St Kilda and Collingwood will finish level on 24 points and 100%.

Reinforcements arrive, Snell and McLeod are in and we (so far) are not running any train-on players.

The Pride guernseys are up for auction. The ones with high demand so far are unsurprisingly Blackburn and Cranston.

The one thing that stands out about the team this season is their lack of fitness and this is an indictment on the coaches and fitness staff. They cannot keep up with their opponents and/or lack the athleticism to run to provide cover for the backs who are constantly trying to stem the flow of opponents streaming into their zone. Of course, we have several young, developing players in the team but they will need a much better preparation in the off-season to develop their fitness and skills.

I don’t think there has been a more unlucky team in history than us this year regarding injuries, on top of our already gigantic injury list we had 2 late outs today, which now puts our current injury list to 11 players and 20 players overall missing at least 1 game to injury this year, just incredible numbers…

Currently Injured
Bennetts
Berry
E. Brown
M. Brown
Coyne
Gorham
Lagioia
Lynch
McFarlane
Moody
Woodley

At least 6 of those are top 15 players

Missed 1+ Game Due To Injury
Carruthers
Cranston
Edmonds
Gutknecht
McLeod
Pritchard
Smith
Snell
Wilcox

67% of the list missing at least one game is just an extraordinary number.

This obviously played a huge role in overall performance this year but it certainly doesn’t excuse everything and there is plenty to work on over the next 12 months. Composure, kicking skills and discipline were 3 big things that we really struggled with and hopefully injuries over the off-season will allow us to actually play some players in the VFLW next year ahead of the next AFLW season. This year no listed players played in the VFLW, largely due to injuries/recovering from injuries.

We also need to be very aggressive in the draft/trade period and seriously need to go after a big fish, preferably a tall.

With list sizes capped at 30 we may have to make some tough decisions but that’s the current system and we wouldn’t be the first, just look at what St Kilda did over the last off-season.

I imagine 178cm inside mid/forward Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner will be our 1st pick in the draft but I’m not against trading that pick for the right player either.

At the end of the day though both our men’s and women’s programs are now on notice and it’s certainly going to be an interesting 12 months for the club.

I don’t think there has been a more unlucky team in history than us this year regarding injuries, on top of our already gigantic injury list we had 2 late outs today, which now puts our current injury list to 11 players and 20 players overall missing at least 1 game to injury this year, just incredible numbers…

Currently Injured
Bennetts
Berry
E. Brown
M. Brown
Coyne
Gorham
Lagioia
Lynch
McFarlane
Moody
Woodley

At least 6 of those are top 15 players

Missed 1+ Game Due To Injury
Carruthers
Cranston
Edmonds
Gutknecht
McLeod
Pritchard
Smith
Snell
Wilcox

67% of the list missing at least one game is just an extraordinary number.

This obviously played a huge role in overall performance this year but it certainly doesn’t excuse everything and there is plenty to work on over the next 12 months. Composure, kicking skills and discipline were 3 big things that we really struggled with and hopefully injuries over the off-season will allow us to actually play some players in the VFLW next year ahead of the next AFLW season. This year no listed players played in the VFLW, largely due to injuries/recovering from injuries.

We also need to be very aggressive in the draft/trade period and seriously need to go after a big fish, preferably a tall.

With list sizes capped at 30 we may have to make some tough decisions but that’s the current system and we wouldn’t be the first, just look at what St Kilda did over the last off-season.

I imagine 178cm inside mid/forward Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner will be our 1st pick in the draft but I’m not against trading that pick for the right player either.

At the end of the day though both our men’s and women’s programs are now on notice and it’s certainly going to be an interesting 12 months for the club.

Weston-Turner would be my pick, unless one of the SA girls decides to nominate nationally. Was chatting to someone today who had nothing but good things to say about Piper Window, described her as having Ellie’s in and under mid skills and Berry’s forward craft.

Cranston starting dialysis in January. Incredible that she’s played this season.
It is not easy either. I remember when my mum started doing it. I had to drive her into town super early in the morning. Then I would sleep in the car for 8 hours waiting for her to be done. Took many months off work to do this weekly, and almost daily. Didn't want to go home and come back, as sometimes a burst vein or inability to get the needle in right could cut the trip short.

It takes a big chunk out of your time if you're the patient, especially if you have to go on it daily. Hooked to the machine at 8am, after almost an hour of tests and setting up. Then you would not be done until like 2pm-3pm. After a few months, it moves into in home dialysis as you sleep. As you wait to match someone on the transplant list.

Depending on the kidney function levels, and Cranstons condition. She will probably be in line for a transplant down the track. Which will end any form of physical sport as the risks associated with damaging your one good kidney is too high.

Amazed she played as you said. As low kidney functions leads to massive levels of fatigue.

I have met her a fair few times. As she played down at my local club for the womens team, and may have won a flag? Before AFLW became a thing. She is a very chill person, got along with all.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW AFLW/VFLW 2024 - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back